The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 1:02 pm

rebojazz wrote:
As far as SA figures that are painted like their Kenner counterparts, not very many and they are usually the older ones from the 80's.  I'll post a pic of what I have today.

Right now I'm trying to get Darens pics somehow converted to where I can post them here.  He has some nice stuff Bryan.  I already have everything in the pics as far as SA so have at it buddy!

Steven, I would love to see any pics you want to post. I am also interested in how many might have kenner counterparts, or fairly close. Just in Daren's extras there the klaatu with brown vest, grey ugnaught, vader, luke bespin brown(kind of) all closely resemble kenners and the bib fortuna and emporer are probably as close to kenners as these things get. I am just curious what is out there. I haven't been really paying attention so for sure haven't seen 500 color combos. I see the logray and gammorean guard are unpainted, is this from the paint coming off or did some of these never get painted?
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Many of the more common era figures were found simply unpainted, I have unpainted samples of most. I'll try to get a pic of the others today. PM me later with what you pick out from Darens lot and I'll see what I have left.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Hey bryan,ive just sent you a message but its stuck in my outbox along with a message i sent in december.no wonder aussiefortuna said he never got it Smile just let me know if you get it.

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Daren, I got it and replied. Thanks
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 6:36 pm

I recently found a few more recently made Mexican bootlegs, and I mean recent.  These are from the Mexican/SA line.  Both have differrences in sculpting and of course are unpainted and in more bright colors than the real ones.  The mini-Jabba concerns me the most since it is a VERY rare character and the unexperienced collector could shell out a lot of money for it (like it is now).  There is also a green Yoda from this batch as well.  There are others in question but I'm still waiting on information on those before I post.  Unfortunately the SA line has seen several fakes over the years and I'm hoping the trend doesn't continue.  

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 %3Ca%20href=The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 MTzuTk1eOjOjl88bvhx7TgQ_zpsaifpiqvd" />

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 %3Ca%20href=The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 MHcOB2az4J3xzj_LswEhOYQ_zps4jf0sjmo" />
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 6:56 pm

The more people pay high prices in ebay for these,the more people will make more and more Sad

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Steve is the mini jabba for sure recent? That sucks because I was hgh bidder on it last I looked. It jumped so fast I figured it was one of you I was up against. I thought the green was close to the green b wing pilot or green atat driver I had seen before.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Yes, it's recent for sure. I was skeptical from the time I saw it, however, I was also very excited at first. I consulted with a friend of mine from Mexico who is very familair with the markets down there and he agreed and had proof. Even so I figured it was wrong anyway, just with the comparison of the two other known Jabbas and the details of the older figures. Very unfortunate because if it were the real deal I would have dropped $750+ easy for it.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 10:23 pm

I knew it wasn't the same color as the one joe has, but I so wanted it to be real.....dang it. I should have figured because the same seller has some of the recent mixed biker, vader, whatever else combo figures. He also has some real ones like the more common so i thought I would take a chance. I knew most likely you and Darren had seen it and that was by it had jumped up so quickly. I am going to retract my bids then as I am not going to shell that much for a custom/new creation.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 2:48 pm

I hadnt seen it until steven gave me a heads up.i was gutted they had chose to fake a mini jabba.but i guess they will only make what they think they can make money on.sigh! Rolling Eyes

Daren
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 6:42 pm

There are other new SA's on sprues on Ebay now: 2-1B, Luke Bespin and Lando. So far I've seen those three, R5D4, POTF2 3PO, Tie Pilot and B-Wing Pilot. Not good!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 8:37 pm

I haven't bought or gone after sprue figures, but I am not interested in them. I did see one sell around 75 or so I think that was a black tie fighter pilot? I can't really remeber but it was recent so you should be able to find it in completed auctions if you need a pic. Steven I read on your post at rs that you think these are being made using the original molds? That sucks. That means there would be no mold differencs, size differences etc. The only possible difference then is either the plastic type or an unusual paint scheme.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Absolutly right bryan.it sucks bigtime.from the little ive seen of them.id avoid any on sprus and any of the colours weve seen recently.unless theyre going for a few bucks then no big deal.the guys making these dont want to make them and sell them for a couple of dollars.they want the silly money that collectors pay.if they cant get the big bucks they will stop.these arent factory who make them by the shit load.its a few guys trying to make a few.sell them high.then make the next big seller.

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 pm

I retracted my bid on the jabba and then I reported it. The listing was ended immediately. It says ended by seller, but it had to be ebay ending it based on the report it was counterfeit. I posted the link to the rs watch out for ebay to see.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 10:47 am

Well looks as though a ton have hit ebay as of this morning. There are multiples of the yoda you discussed Steven, as well as a second green mini jabba. The largest lot on there also has a blue lando with a black plastic Head. I haven't seen this before so I bet it is one of those that was a sprue figure and cut down and put together. Darren said these mexican scammers probably read the forums so I would like to send them a message if they are reading this: up yours up yours up yours up yours up yours

Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Yea, I just took a look after I read your last post. There are a ton of them out there, many in three-packs. I figure this was coming. The producers are probably not on these forums so no worries there. I do believe it's to the point where they will probably not get that much money out of these since they put up so many at the same time, bad thinking on thier part but good for us.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Looking in the lot here there is little doubt tat the lando is a new figure. He has obvious different shinier looking plastic and looks like the sprue attached to his head and shoulders like the sprue figures that popped up before. The mini Jabba is a different one but still the bright green. The sellers are different username, but I admit I did not check their location. Maybe the same person? So now have two jabbas that have shown up and this is just the beginning. I would bet a lot of the figures in this lot are being replicated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-TOY-MEXICAN-MEGA-LOT-FIGURES-BOOTLEG-PREMIUM-STAR-WARS-80S-/301562555951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636876e2f
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Oh yea, I've seen more Jabbas, I know of about 6 so far. The Lando is a painted one, the one that I got is also painted like that on a spru with tan plastic, the 21B in that pic (brown one) is also painted from light blue plastic and the other 21B is black plastic. These sellers are all different people and who typically go to these markets to buy stuff and sell them on Ebay including other toys and bootlegs. Most of them don't have too much knowledge other than what they were told by the seller in the markets.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 5:52 pm

So the sellers that are passing them on ebay are not the makers? I assumed the maker would be peddling them, but your probably right since they don't come in by the ton. Are the jabbas made in more colors or have all the ones seen been this bright green? Maybe if the new ones would sell cheap enough it might be worth the time to buy one since they are so rare for originals, but I don't want anyone to get duped and spend tons on them.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes theres a whole bunch of different seller i.d's on ebay.so they cant all be directly linked to the makers.but im very sure the guys who made them either frequent these forums or they have friends who do.somebody somewhere said hey if we make mini jabbas they will sell high in the collector markets.those crazy collectors are offering silly money for them.
Nobodys going to make a handful of any one figure and expect ti turn a profit.even doing it small scale youd have to make thousands if your selling them at 50cents or $1 in markets to kids.but if you can sell have a dozen close to $1k each then it suddenly becomes a great idea to make a few.sell the first lot at high prices.then when the collectors all have one.just let the rest sell at whatever they sell at.if they are making thousands and selling them to market traders.then they are bootlegs for sure.but there will be more than enough for every man and his dog to own a mini jabba.so no need for any new collector to think they have found a $1k figure and throw hundreds of $ in bids at it.

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Darren or Steven, do either of you think these new figures will effect the prices on the older ones? Maybe not specifically the jabba, but Steven said that used to be the snowtroopers were hard to find. You can find them at any given time now, we'll just about any time anyway. So I assume when they were rarer they sold high and now they are like $10 a piece. Obviously they are producing Lando, the potf c3po, the potf chewbacca, 21b, greedo,yoda and who knows how many others that were original. Looking at that lot I posted there are fixed limb gammorean guard, jawa, that weird biker mix figure, a kenner looking chewbacca, the fett (may have missed some as I am working off memory). so will the pumping out of these effect pricing on the older ones? i can't imagine a new collector of the Mexican sa line throwing down hundreds or thousands on a real mini jabba when they can get one of these for a fraction of that and have the same displayability.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 7:51 pm

They already did.when you get a bucket load of any given character turn up.the "rarer" earlier versions arent going to attract as much attention from most collectors.apart from us crazy variant collectors lol! but the few characters that havent been made since the 80s still will hold their value.like pruna face and han trench etc.but who will pay $100 for a nice pink leia when you can get a purple one for $10.this would benifit me and others as it keeps the price of true vintage down.but its the poor new collector who thinks they are paying big bucks for true vintage when theyre not thats the problem.

daren
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 7:54 pm

The poft2 boots never saw high demand or high prices so these new ones wont affect them.dont understand why they chose to do those ones actually.

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Yeah, like the ones on the sprues. I saw one a week or so ago sell for $75. Now there are more on the bay already. No these new creations are no different than repro weapons though. The original weapons lost no value just because repros exist. I wasn't sure though since these are bootlegs how it would effect the market.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Yeah like repro weapons or poontroopers.the real ones will still be desired and hold their value.you just need to be aware of the differences and look out for them.most s/a figures never really soared in price.but as more and more people were looking for them,the real rare stuff shot up in value.but the common ones that are being mass produced yet again will always be around $10 their 90s versions still sell for that.but true 80s ones are usually very different in colours etc and keep their value.any figure that wasnt part of the newer waves will keep their values also.its just the amount if people who are prepared to pay the higher prices will drop.as they will go gir the cheaper newer ones.the true 80s ones are so scarce they will still be in high demand from the few collectors who want them :Drool:

Daren
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next