The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

The Mexican bootleg thread. Empty
PostSubject: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:42 pm

This one's gonna get a LOT of use as we need to put all of our information together about not only the SA(semi articulated) line, but the vast array of toys and figures from this bootleg rich country.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Well, I know which thread I'll be hanging around in cheers
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:24 pm

rebojazz wrote:
Well, I know which thread I'll be hanging around in cheers

I'm sure that I'll need your help putting a color reference chart together, for the article on the Mex/SA line. Between you me and Daren we should be able to blow some minds with a Mex/SA piece.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 6:12 pm

I refuse to get sucked back into the Mex/SA line. My wallet is already crying from the unarts. No  Very Happy

The Mexican bootleg thread. Mexican-bootleg-figures
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 7:15 pm

Chris_J wrote:
I refuse to get sucked back into the Mex/SA line. My wallet is already crying from the unarts. No Very Happy

You say that now Chris.....just wait til we start posting color runs of each figure. Bwahahahaaaaa

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Joseph_Y wrote:
Chris_J wrote:
I refuse to get sucked back into the Mex/SA line. My wallet is already crying from the unarts. No Very Happy

You say that now Chris.....just wait til we start posting color runs of each figure. Bwahahahaaaaa

Cheers
Joe

lol! Enabling bastards.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:40 pm

I refused to get sucked into the Mexican/SA line 6 years ago... you see how that went, lol.. No problem Joe, just let me know what you need.
Back to top Go down
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Looking forward to some fresh figures I've never seen before. Just what I need to refresh my stagnant mexi/sa collection. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am

Ya, I gotta say I'm looking forward most to this section - Joe, Daren, Steven I'm sure you guys will drop some real knowledge on us Mexi noobs study
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 am

I already deleted my photos on RS as I will retake them and add a bunch of new stuff and put them here eventually. I'll put together what information I have on this line (and other Mexican lines) and separate what info has been confirmed and what has not. There is some information that I've been told by reputable people but have not physically seen myself so I want to make as much of that as clear as possible.

The lines of Mexican bootlegs that I'll focus here on is the Mexican/SA (duh) and the articulated 3-PO's.

Looking forward to seeing these bootleg threads grow!
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 pm

We can turn these threads into articles, use the threads to gather and write the info, then package it up nicely for the interactive section.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Very good Joe. I'll start by compiling a list of what characters and any sculpt differences. Then I'll start adding pics later on with color variants when some stuff comes in. This will be for the SA line.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm

After a few weeks of debating and research I want to shine some light on these new waves of Mexican Boba Fetts that have been appearing on the market over the last few months. I've consulted with one of my contacts from Mexico and Joe over the past few days and even though these Fetts are from Mexico and are "semi-articulated" they are NOT from the same line as the popular Mexican/SA bootlegs, nor were they made in the early years.

I first started seeing a couple of these back last November but didn't think too much about it then. After the beginning of this year some of the red and black ones started to appear, however, they had the same waxy plastic and same paint deco as some of the other Mex/SA characters so I became curious but didn't knock them down. A few months went by and kind of forgot about them and then started seeing several more pop up all with different color plastics and mostly unpainted. At that time I became really suspicious and started comparing these to my older ones I got years ago. It was then I saw very notable differences not only in minor sculpting like some Mex/SA's have but with major sculpt differences, details to the lines and even copyright dates on the legs.

Here are a couple of comparison pics, the red one is one of the newer ones, the blue is an earlier one from my archives.

The Mexican bootleg thread. Mexsa003The Mexican bootleg thread. MexSABobaFett

You can deffinately see how shoddy the sculpting is on the red one, the arm sockets (even though they are ball joint) are almost separating from the torso, that is probably why many of the black ones have broken arms. You can also see that the left arm is different, the hand faces out not by the leg. And, of course, the details of the sculpting is very poor even for this line.

The Mexican bootleg thread. Mexsa004

Here is a pic of the back of mine. Again the sculpting is very poor. The two main differences that made me believe that these are not from the typical Mex/SA line is that 1) I couldn't get a good pic but the rocket on the newer ones actually have the lines imprinted in them if you look closely and 2) *most important* if you look closely at the back of the legs you can see where the copywrite dates (1979) and coo are. My earlier Fetts do not have any dates or coo, nor do any other Mexican/SA figure. This tells me that these have actually been cast directly from a licensed Fett and probably did some modifications to the arm sockets for the joints.

The Mexican bootleg thread. Mexsa005

I still can't tell you how they came about in the market in the first place and I don't want to deter anyone from buying these, that's not my point. I just want everyone to be aware that when buying these just understand that they are not the older original Mexican/SA's. I know some of us, myself including, have spent some good money on these... also be aware of how much you spend. I don't know how many more are out there. That you'll have to decide at your own discretion.

I think everyone here knows how these Fetts have been showing up on the market: unpainted, painted, loose, POTF2 cards, Guerra de las Galaxias cards, etc..... Again, I'm not saying don't buy these, I'm just saying watch how much you spend and I want you to know what you are getting. If anyone has any questions feel free to pm or email me at rebojazz@hotmail.com.
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Thank you for your diligence and attention to detail Steven. I honestly just got the 2 Fetts from this "wave" and put them in my display without even second guessing them, mostly because of the source and his years of finding great (legit) pieces. I'm still not sure if he had anything to do with the manufacture of them, or if he's as in the dark as we are(which is what I'd like to believe). Regardless, as Steven has shown, they're not what they've been advertised as.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks for all that work and info Steve. I too bought 2 of these when they first came out and always assumed they were vintage. It would be interesting to see if some of our Mexican buddies on here (Horacio, Adolfo) know or have heard anything about these.
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:46 am

Very interesting writeup Steven, thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
GanjaFett
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
GanjaFett

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Steven, good post buddy. I agree that these are of a modern mold. Here's my set of them for color reference. All from the same seller, so my spidey sense is tingling. After buying several from him, he mentioned seeing 4 more at a mexican convention and soon after found a friend who bought them and re-sold them to me acting as a go-between because that guy didn't speak English. Either these truly are turning up at conventions or he is making them? I would hope he isn't manufacturing them because he's been a nice and helpful contact.

The Mexican bootleg thread. Modern10

Here's a couple that I've had that show the poor plastic and or mold that causes some of them to crack on the shoulder joint.

The Mexican bootleg thread. Mexi_f10

And I thought I remembered one of these selling in 2008 but after looking again, it was a vintage mold I was thinking of. I was matching the paint apps and not the mold. You can tell by the figure's left hand. The newer ones have a squared off hand. (If anyone has an older mold Fett like this or a static, please get in touch with the GanjaMan!)

The Mexican bootleg thread. 433_in10

Like Steven said, they're cool but not worth what the money they've sold for. Has anyone bought any from someone other than Alberto?? That might help tracking down the source.

Last edited by GanjaFett on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Andy, that's a real shame about these Sad hopefully they're not some crap that a customizer is putting out. I remember asking Alberto several times about the provenance of these figures when I bought 2 from him, and he dodged the subject. I went on the recommendations of those who trust him and assumed they were vintage.

My apologies to the fellow bootlegger I sold my black one to, I wasn't aware of the issues being bought up now.

At the very least, they look really awesome together and fit nicely in your collection regardless Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Those do actually look good for what they are. But has any info surfaced on if they are legit or custom pieces like the other Fetts and Yaks that have been on Ebay in the last few years? I know you guys said more will be said later, but was wondering if you guys are leaning more towards the fake side. Wouldnt mind having a couple of those, but I know how stupid prices are on Fett. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dylbacca
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
dylbacca

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Andy / Steven,

Is the seller putting these bobas out Roy Torres?

just wondering, because we have discovered some other recent fraudulent pieces proliferated by that pinche pendejo.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 12:14 am

Andy-- I do remember that blue one you have a pic of, it was sold a few years ago and came w/ a bag and header card. It's from the original sculpt though. I believe Joe also has one like this bagged. I actually bid on this one but wasnt around at the end. You do have some nice color Fetts Andy, I will say that. As far as getting one of my original sculpts, you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands, lol. These original sculpt Fetts are damn hard to find.

ChrisJ--- I'm still not sure how to answer your question because I'm still trying to get some more info sorted out. If I had to guess at this point they were made for the collectors market like the Fetts and Yaks that appeared a few years ago. These SA Fetts do have some similarities to real ones like the type of plastic and paint used. I'm not as surprised as to the packaging since there have been stocks of mini-POTF2 and header cards that have been found recently.

Dylan--- Roy has sold some of these Fetts, I've bought from him but he is not the only source. When I first found out about these late last year Roy was trying to get a large lot of MOC figures from another guy (over 100) and some of these Fetts were included (black and red). Joe and I were going to split the lot but the seller decided to split up everything instead and everything got spread out. I've seen these Fetts from probably 3 or 4 sellers in Mexico over time. Roy is one of the top ones since he is in the antique toy market but I can't say that he is producing these by any means.

Back to top Go down
dylbacca
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
dylbacca

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks Steven. I would be cautious dealing with that guy. I know he is definitely not opposed to the casual grift. Ive spoken to Mike Foster in depth about this, but i really dont trust him, a point that was particularly validated by his recent planet of the apes/star wars head swapping ebay shadiness.

I know that you, joe and others have had a longstanding relationship with him in which you have uncovered fantastic treasures from south of the border, and for that he's a valuable resource, but just be careful. Anybody who loves the pet shop boys that much is not to be trusted. lol!
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Quote :
but just be careful. Anybody who loves the pet shop boys that much is not to be trusted.

Sounds suss already Suspect

lol!
Back to top Go down
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Not trying to jack this thread but check out the classifieds for my ugly ass Mexi's for sale!
Back to top Go down
sydling
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
sydling

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:17 am

Hi guys! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section/thread but I thought this should be the best place to ask. Smile I got this plastic BIG Stormtrooper that supposedly is from Mexico. It's listed on the "Archive" here:
http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=51164

The Mexican bootleg thread. Stormtrooper-bootleg-comparison

My question is what a reasonable value on this could be? Contemplating if selling or not. Smile

Thanks for you input!

Cheers,
Johan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next