The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 6:19 pm

It could well be the same guys who made the last lot.or they sold the molds they had to somebody else who id making them again.but these new lot include mini jabba as well as the unart chirpas and wierd scout tooper,fall to pieces chewys and greedos etc.i wonder if these are all from the same group who managed to buy up any mold of any sw figure they could.so theyve got the s/a molds as well as molds from small time bootleggers/customizers.so they now have a mix matched set of styles.i cant see a sudden explostion of different people making their own different style of sw boots and then selling them to the same people who list them on ebay.probably one outfit making the lot.so it looks good that the variety thats in the big lots that hit ebay are all they do.obviously they can make a million different colours.which im sure they will.until they realize they cant sell them fortune.

Daren
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Good point Daren, it does seem like the other newer bootlegs, articulated Greedos and Chewies and the unarticulated ewoks and Jawas are being sold from the same people, which in turn, are getting them probably from the same supplier. Even a lot of the Ebay auctions have all these figures mixed in large lots or even three-packs. As soon as all of mine come in I'll be able to take a better look.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 pm

rebojazz wrote:
I'd still love to get my hands on some of these molds myself so I can start pumping out mini-Jabba jello shots for Halloween!  

When this happens I expect an invite. lol!

Steven are you getting some of the new Landos, greedos, etc also? I wonder if they are the same size or perhaps smaller? If they are smaller in size it is possible that they used an original to make a new mold as shrinkage would occur once the plastic cools. Surely they didn't dissasemble an original jabba to make a new mold. head bang

Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 pm

Ah, Bryan, thank God someone is learning something in this hobby. I do see your point on the differences in sizes, that is what happened with the newer Fetts a few years back. However, I'm not sure that is the case with these. I'll know for sure once I get my samples in the mail, hopefully here soon. I have a bunch of different ones coming.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 11:03 pm

I look forward to your analysis of these new compared to the old. From the auction pics they look to have crisp details though so regardless of how the mold was made, they must be injection molded right? I tried to make a mold once for a custom figure I had made and trying the old mix and pour method for it left air bubbles (small ones) all over the place that had to be fixed.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes, these are typically injected molds. That is why a lot of the rubber figures have a lot of pockets and bubbles in them as they are just poured in with no pressure. Hopefully, my stuff will come in soon.
Back to top Go down
Mosh
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 am

Hi!

I recently got hold of these chaps via a Mexican FB group. I normally don't buy bootleg figures but this was an exception since I love the colours. Their arms are articulated just as Kenner's and that's about it : ) They have unevenly-moulded legs so they have some issues standing up. I used hot glue to affix them to some bases. The paint seems to be oil-based and very recent so I suppose they are new bootlegs. Any thoughts?

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 16541339544_02bcb4fb9b_b
Back to top Go down
Christian_Slade
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
Christian_Slade

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 12:53 am

Love those Snowtroopers! Great stuff.

Anybody here go to Celebration Anaheim? I'd love to get a Mexican bootleg report.
It was at the last Celebration held in Orlando that I picked up my first figs from Joe Y at the collectors swap meet.
Would love to hear from anyone that made it this year.

Happy Collecting!
Christian Slade
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianslade.com
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Mosh wrote:
Hi!

I recently got hold of these chaps via a Mexican FB group. I normally don't buy bootleg figures but this was an exception since I love the colours. Their arms are articulated just as Kenner's and that's about it : ) They have unevenly-moulded legs so they have some issues standing up. I used hot glue to affix them to some bases. The paint seems to be oil-based and very recent so I suppose they are new bootlegs. Any thoughts?

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 16541339544_02bcb4fb9b_b

Hi there Mosh and welcome to the boards and to the world of bootlegs!! With these Snowtroopers, it's very hard to tell. They are more recent but maybe even from several years back. The orange one is probably a 90's one that has been repainted, the red and yellow one have been around for years and is possible it's one of those or a more recent one. If I had to guess the white one is more recent from the last 4-5 years. I found my first red and yellow ones about 6 or 7 years ago but I know that yellow ones have existed long before then. I am interested in seeing a closeup of the black arms on the orange Snowtrooper though. There is a black Snowtrooper but it is from the 80's and very rare, I have one of them. I've never seen another one. With all the Mexican bootlegs made just recently (like several months ago) it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. This particular line has been in production, on and off, since the mid to late 80's. There have been many, many waves of them produced, most of them were produced in the mid 90's when the whole Star Wars thing was coming back to the picture and they were produced by the hundreds. The orange Snowtrooper was one of them but did not have that paint style. I believe these are newer painted figures made to look like older style Snowtroopers as they did have this style of paint. Most of them were found in blue, red and yellow plastic. Either way these are very cool and congrats!
Back to top Go down
Mosh
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:34 pm

There you go. I hope this is the angle you needed. : )

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 E04ce6v
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 pm

rebojazz wrote:
Personally, I think Joe is pumping these out using his Uzay molds and giving himself fake Mexican names on Ebay to sell them, of course I can't prove this.  :cool laugh:

You've figured out my eeeeevil plans...bwaahahahahhahhaha.

On a serious note there definitely are vintage blue Snag bootlegs other than the SA like one Daren has. I have a fully articulated one that matches the older Greedos and 3pos that I have, same plastic, same construction.
Here he is hanging out with his girlfriend:
[img]The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 08110[/img]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Mosh wrote:
There you go. I hope this is the angle you needed. : )

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 E04ce6v

Just briefly looking at it, it's a common orange Snowtrooper that has been repainted, I see hints of orange on the black arms and the other paint looks pretty new. Probably the same with the others in my opinion, unless more starts showing up with the same paint deco.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Steven did you get some of these new bootlegs yet for a comparison? Also you can add gold to the mini jabbas as I saw one pop up in a Baggie with a new yoda. didnt look to see if they wer molded in the gold color or just painted. Doubt that they were molded in that color plastic, but it was a few days back and I didn't really look hard. :I am stupid:

I still want to pick one up, but I am going to wait for a rainbow one. lol!

Mosh, even if those are the newer snowtroopers, they are still cool. Glad you jumped in the Mexican s.a. line. For sure a really cool line of toys and a ton of diversity with character and color combos.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 10:17 pm

I was able to obtain several of these newer "bootlegs" and did make comparisons. The 2-1B and Lando are actually made of a harder resin type of material, very brittle if you try to bend the limbs. All hand painted and not like the actual SA's that were produced. The ones that concern me are Vader, B-Wing Pilot, AtAt Driver and Luke Bespin cause these are made in the same type of plastic and somewhat more difficult to tell the difference. The plastic injection is not as good as the originals and there are small flaws. There is also differences in molding lines but hard to tell by pictures. I think these were not injected by the original machines from before. The mini-Jabba, POTF2 Chewie and Yoda are also from a different type of plastic, however, from original molds. Again, enough difference to tell from the older ones. I did get some articulated Greedos and Chewies but I don't have any originals to compare. Same with the static Gammy Guard. The Ewoks and Jawas are a totally different sculpt, not sure where those came from at this point. I have been looking on Ebay and didn't see any yellow Jabba, unless I just didn't look hard enough. I'll keep my eye out.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Steven here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-TOY-MEXICAN-BOOTLEG-STAR-WARS-PACK-JABBA-THE-HUTT-MASTER-JODA-/271864606203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4c64adfb

It was a buy it now at that price. I'm almost bit, but the gold is so ugly I couldn't do it. Looking at the pics they are all from the front and no help. I am fairly certain this is painted. Also if you haven't searched for it specifically you can search for Star Wars bootleg jabba and see there are two red and two green on there right now. One of the green has his eyes painted. Did either of the known originals have painted eyes?
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Yea, I didn't even see that one on there. He is pretty ugly.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I also saw another static Mexico figure come up. It is a purple hammerhead in the soft rubber. I assume this is also a newly made one, and if it is then these are being made now also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-TOY-MEXICAN-BOOTLEG-STAR-WARS-VARIANT-HAMMERHEAD-JEDI-RUBBER-FIGURE/271860373007?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29908%26meid%3D9836b8f091234dedba9d296b051316e6%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271864606203

No bidder as of yet, but that may be because it looks like crap. If it is original or new it sure doesn't look injected with so many bubbles in the material.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 11:19 pm

emperorburns wrote:
Expect many more i would say.theyll be ok as long as they stay crazy colours.if they try to make them look like the actual vintage ones.then we'll have to be careful Sad

Daren

Looks like Darren was right. Just tonight some more popped up. Now blue, and purple on the jabbas. So that makes 5 colors. Gold, blue, purple, red, green. Some more of the others as well. Steven or Darren can either of you confirm these static figures that are being made are from vintage style figures? Saw a bib fortunate, the hammerhead I already posted above, a squidhead, a jawa, an ig88, and a tie fighter pilot or AT&T driver (can't really tell from the crap picture).
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 4:59 am

Those super soft squidgy dredful looking figures are made from vintage molds i think.from what ive seen none of them have the hulked out pose of potf2 figures.
The mini jabbas are being painted now.ive seen the painted eyes and that gold one.definatly painted.also the header on the gold jabba is a copy of a real vintage design.i have some.i also have a modern version.something that stuck out to me was the originals are printed on card.like you would expect.but the modern one,although a bit smaller,was printed in what seems more like bank note material rather than card.makes you wonder what else the bootleggers are into aswell as copying toys affraid
I am pretty sure our mexican bootleger friends read these posts.if not they keep a very keen eye out on ebay auctions to see what sells.did anybody see the headless luke bespin that was on ebay a few weeks ago? Nearly pissed myself laughing when i saw it.i guess they thought the fact it was headless was the reason it ended so high. lol!

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Daren, I saw this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-VERY-RARE-TOY-MEXICAN-FIGURE-BOOTLEG-STAR-WARS-80-039-S-/181723593325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4f91fa6d&nma=true&si=5NXX5nuwkuPKBRI2HDQ%252F8yf%252BOms%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Is this the headless one your talking about. It isn't quite a Luke bespin figure. Similar, but has lightening bolts on the torso and the gun belt is different. Still can't figure out what he is, but figured it was maybe a hybrid figure like the darth ape figure or some of these new biker scout mixed figures. It is concerning if they are using vintage molds for these rubber figures also. I don't know if many collect those, but I know the vintage ones were more in black rubber and have seen them referred to as "toxic rubber" figures.

I see that for the time I mentioned the jabba auctions last night to today that the price went up. Mother were listed as buy it now last night for $9.99 and now today they are suddenly $19.99 wish they were like $5 a piece. Sad thing is at $5 a piece I would consider buying the whole rainbow of colors, but at ten and especially twenty I have no desire to get them.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Yeah thats the wee beastie Razz i guess they thought because the headless one i got sold for so much that if they made one with no head it would do the same. lol!
Yes if they were only $5 it might be more appealing to get them all.but that brings them down closer to real bootleg prices.and they arent trying for that market.theyre hoping to get collectors to pay higher prices for their product.make less,sell for more.thats the real shame.if they worked harder and made more to sell across mexico,then im sure there would be plenty bootleg collectors looking for them as modern bootlegs.the fact they arent and are aiming them at us for higher prices is what steven was trying to point out at the beginning.it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. throw up

Daren
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Purple Jabbas, blue Jabbas, gold Jabbas.... oh my! All are fugly and fake. Yea, the rubber Hammer Head and all of them are recent too. Rubber figures have been produced on and off for years. I've noticed Chewie and Greedo on sprues as well. There is just way too much crap on Ebay right now and I hope the producers are reading this. This stuff is shit and not bootlegs. You wonder why nobody is buying this shit? Because you just flooded the market with junk and made it obvious of what you are doing. I'll give you guys info on that "headless" Luke here in a bit. There is a Luke Bespin with movable head just like Leia and Bossk. And, with a different sculpt.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Both of you said that headless figure was a Luke. I had never seen it before but when I looked at the pics you can see what appears to be lightening bolts on the upper body. I hadn't seen that before. Is it from a vintage sculpt use before or is it an actual vintage piece?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 2:04 pm

That same headless figure is up again. Steven did you have more info about it? I guess the buyer didn't pay the last time because this has to be the same one. Same discolor end area on the leg and boot.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 5:05 pm

If you are looking at the auction with the lot of bootlegs it is not the same figure. I will say they are starting to get creative with their colors of paint but still not real. I see they actually painted some authentic Leias and others to look different..... shame.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 9 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next