The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Oh, that one! I see now, yes, it is the same one. Not sure why. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Probably because it is the same one.it didnt sell when i saw it.no suprisingly.as for all the new funky disco colours that they seem to be doing them in nowadays,well i guess theyve give up trying to pass them off as 80s figures.thats got to be a plus.i guess thats round one to steven lol!

Daren
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 4:34 pm

You're damn-a-right that's a plus. It is sad that they are also painting original figures to make them look "cooler" though. That being said I like your comment, Daren, about the disco figures.. I guess that is what they would have looked like if they were from the late 60's. Still though, a bunch of crap!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:00 pm

i don't think they have given up on trying to pass them off as older. They are still listed and packaged with those overstock cardboard headers. The colors certainly don't fool any experienced or semi experienced collector, but someone new may still fall for them.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:37 am

They will fall for them and have, I've already been told by one of the sellers. He's now banned from the FB group.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:42 pm

rebojazz wrote:
He's now banned from the FB group.

Good on you Steven. Those type of guys don't need to be involved in the groups. I don't have a facebook account, do I have to have one to see the content of the group? I would like to view the page just to learn about what is shared.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 4:37 pm

Wow theres somebody else in the world that doesnt have a facebook account lol!
The sellers deserve to not have the chance to sell their wares on fb but i doubt itll stop them.the ONLY thing that will is people not buying them. head bang but each to their own.
Did anybody see the luke in chains that got pulled early? The colours looked right but it looked a bit off to me.the whole thing looked to messy.if anybody won it off ebay,please let us know what type of plastic it is.pray this isnt another being made afresh Angry SW

Daren
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 4:41 pm

It was discussed in our FB Bootleg group.  Joe and I have been taking a look at it over the last couple days.  All the ones we've seen so far have the same sculpting, just like yours, Daren.  I, too, hate to see these being pumped out as well.  I'm not sure how much it went for though. The guy who posted the pic said it was made of bakelite, which I believe is a type of plastic resin... much like the newer Landos and 2-1B's. Does anyone have a link to the old auction?
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:07 pm

151683536304 is the item number for it.bakelite type plastic is not a bad thing.some where made of a bakelite type plastic.its just all the real ones are quite crisp in the molding.this looks like a carrot thats been out in the sun to long :grr:

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:42 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lili-Ledy-Star-Wars-vintage-Luke-Bootleg-Mexico-scarce-/151683536304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23510b15b0

I didn't even notice it had ended.  I was the top bidder on it when I checked last night.  :I am stupid:   You think it is questionable Daren?

Edit* Looking at the ones joe has pictured on the outer realm (http://www.theouterrealmsw.com/Mexican_Static_figures.html) the rope tying the luke is very different looking and in a different position.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:11 pm

I've looked through my binder and photo scrapbook and have compared it to about a dozen other bondage Lukes and I have not seen any with this sculpt. And, like Daren said this one is sculpted kind of rough. If you look at the right arm there is plastic set in the armpit, none of the others that I looked at have this. And, of course the rope is different. There is a pic in the auction of the bottom of the feet, I just wondered if those of you who have one can take a look and see if there is any difference, sometimes that is a good place to look. I also thought the starting price of $9.99 was kind of odd. I've seen two on Ebay over the last couple years and both have started much higher. If anyone knew what this bootleg was would have done so. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:23 pm

My over eagerness got the best of me. Glad it was pulled now. I didn't even compare it to known samples until you guys just mentioned it. I have only seen a couple go up and the price on this didn't jump nor start anywhere near those others. Should have been red flags, but I was blinded by the hope of it being real. :I am stupid: No

Next time I will have to take my time and compare stuff to other known pictures.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself Bryan. With me not having one if it wasn't for the beginning price I wouldn't have questioned it and jumped on it myself. Even with that price I may have. This guy has only sold very few items on his id and has no id history of other names. He has sold bootlegs but from other toys, not Star Wars so it's hard to tell. It's hard to tell with some of these Mexican seller cause they change their Ebay id's every so often and some even have multiple accounts.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Ive give up trying to upload the pic i took.so have asked steven if he would be so kind as to do that for me Smile
Sorry i couldnt find the best looking luke in chains.ones in a 2pk with misty plastic.ones dirty but when i try to clean him his paint starts coming off but the black one isnt to bad.as you can see the ropes are way off.especially on the wrists.also none of them have that wierd bad molding on his crotch.also they all have plain boots.not that ripple that the ebay one has.
I included the hans and leias and klaatu indian because ive always had the feeling that originaly they were made as some kind of cowboys and indians set.i know theyre not all from the same set but they all have similar characteristics.only the luke in chains seems to have different plastics used.the klaatu,leias,hans and black luke are made of a bakelite type plastic.the luke in the 2pk aswell as the others i can find are made of a more kenner like soft plastic.i know joe has a bunch of klaatu indians and leias and they are the same bakelite plastic.am i triping or can anybody else see the similarities smoke

Daren
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 7:32 pm

The pics in my gallery if its possible for people to see it there.its the only place i could upload it to head bang

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:04 pm

The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 20150510

Never seen these indian looking figures before. Those lukes look more like Joes. So looks like they are making reproduction chained or bondage lukes.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Bryan beat me to it but yes, your's are also different than the one in question.  I have pics of about 3 more that you have as well from your older community webshots from years ago and they are also the same (don't ask me how I was able to save them Wink.  The whole cowboy/indian thing is very interesting.  I never realized the Hans and Leias were made of the same material as those cowboys. The bondage Lukes should be made of the same similar material to most of the other 80's Mexican bootlegs and the SA's.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 10:14 pm

I should clarify that the one on eBay is a reproduction. After seeing Daren's also I am certain that the Luke on eBay is fake. Dang shame.

Those Indian looking figures are awesome. Funny that a Leia endor was used (looks like an endor anyway) makes the theory that they likely used ledy figures as a starting point for these. I assumed that with the Mexican s.a line that the bootlegs were made from ledy figures, but then some of them like the atat driver, Han carbonite, blue snaggletooth, etc.. were never released in the ledy line. i wonder if the earliest of the s.a. Line was only made from figures in the ledy line and once they seemed successful did they then get a hold of some Kenner figures and make these others. Might explain why the Han carbonite, blue snag, etc... Are so uncommon. If they were made later in the production perhaps less of them made and less survived.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 12:22 am

Basically, in a nutshell, the Mexican/SA line was first produced in the mid 80's during the ROTJ era before POTF. They were molded from either LL figures or the figures "Made in Mexico" that Kenner also contracted. Why certain figures were not produced I don't know. Some SA characters are very rare to find in which either 1. the molds were somehow broken or destroyed or 2. there was also a second factory in another Mexican state that also made them but not too many made their way to bigger open markets. The Blue Snaggletooth, even a semi-articulated figure, is not from the same line as the normal SA's. If I had to guess it was not produced till the 90's at some point as the chance of a blue snag reaching Mexican markets back then was very slim, they were very hard to get here. The Han "Carbonite" best resembles any POTF figure produced, however, another POTF character has been said to be made but I have no reference or pics, this was years ago when I was told this. Other waves were produced in smaller quantities until the mid 90's when Star Wars was re-emerging and a few POTF2 characters were being produced and a shit load of other now common figures from this era. This era had the highest output of bootlegs being made by the hundreds each.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Totally agree about blue snag.im sure some molds must have been broken by accident.i cant see why anybody would willingly destroy them.ones like prune face and han trench coat.those are only seen as early figures.but the tie pilot and 21b molds etc are the ones in the hands of the guys making these new ones.so thankfuly its not ALL mex s/a's just some.and then theyve created copys of others like the luke in chains and headless luke.
If your looking for mex s/a potf figures.would that inclued an awing pilot lol! or would he be a green bwing pilot :cool laugh:

Daren
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 11:43 pm

All of these ones with movable arms are considered Mexican s.a. right? Since the line is not documented very heavily I didn't know if it was similar to polish with like first generation, second generation, original or whatnot. Seems like they could be separated into subcategories like that for collector purposes since some were only produced early on and others all the way through the line and even to today.
Back to top Go down
rebojazz
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 5:20 pm

He would be a green B-Wing Pilot Daren unless you know something I don't. I do have a darker green B-Wing Pilot with similar paint deco as an A-Wing... of course wouldn't be the first time I've learned new things from you collection. LOL
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 pm

A whole slew of the new ones hit tonight and they are labeled reissue. cheers At least they labeled them correctly. Probably weren't selling much the other way. Have a bunch of the jabbas in various colors with limbs on a sprue. Also some ugnaughts now in the mix. Got to at least say they labeled them all as reissue which is much better.
Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2015 3:08 am

This has to be a good thing.but anybody can label them as anything.the resale description could always change.but the funky colours is the best way to distinguish them from earlier ones.if they keep them different and funky im sure they would sell more.
Oh and no steven i just have a green bwing pilot.but he looks like an awing pilot lol! there is joes luke stormtrooper aswell,thats a last 17 :cool laugh:

Daren
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican bootleg thread.   The Mexican bootleg thread. - Page 10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mexican bootleg thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10