The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The "I didn't know that till just now" thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
doc_atomic
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
doc_atomic

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:12 pm

According to Wookieepedia and my own crappy memory, anyway. Supposedly he's in the Rebel Base on Hoth. I've still to confirm this... Anyone?

I recently learned that there are two different R5-D4 Revenge Proofs, one with "R5-D4" in the name box, one with "R5-D4 (Arfive Defour)" in the name box.

I also learned last night that there are two versions of the Glasslite Droids 3PO -- one with blue eyes, one with black eyes. (See? It pays to join the TIG chat!)

Lots of other stuff... I feel like I learn something ever day. Hell, I learned a lot from just reading this thread! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://astoundingartifacts.blogspot.com
llseeker
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 am

olisuds wrote:
Tank1252 wrote:
The Admiral wrote:
Serket wrote:
Hey all,

Discovered this the other day.....R5-D4 is the only vintage figure to be released with 2 different production years.......both 1977 and 1978.

WOW!!! Surprised

That is incorrect Smile

There is......another

I only knew of R5D4 and Barada. Athough technically, in the case of R5D4 I believe they may have used an R2D2 torso!?!?

If you are into international variations there are also:

Takara with Japan coo Vader, 3PO and Stormie all have 1978 copyright.
Glasslite R2 Pop up saber and 3PO removable limbs both have 1985 copyright
Lili Ledy Lando Skiff has 1983 copyright.

Carlos
Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Serket wrote:
Hey all,

Discovered this the other day.....R5-D4 is the only vintage figure to be released with 2 different production years.......both 1977 and 1978.

WOW!!! Surprised

Someone else already mentioned the Barada 1984 and 1985 stamps which disproves what you posted above, however I've read before that Amanaman and EV9D9 also have either 1984 and 1985 stamps. Basically what I've heard before is that the 1984 runs of these 3 figures were the ones released in the Jabba's Droid Dungeon playset, and the 1985 versions were released on POTF cards.

There's subtle differences too, such as the 1984 playset Amanaman has dark red eyes and the 1985 POTF Amanaman has bright red eyes. The 1984 playset EV-9D9 has orange-yellow eyes and the 1985 POTF EV-9D9 has yellow eyes. The 1984 playset Barada has a darker red bandana compared to the 1985 POTF Barada.

UPDATE: Here's where I originally read that info. They also have comparison photos.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/37337-My-Vintage-Variation-list/page3?s=fb0a628aa7f332c45b830efcf42d7d3d
Back to top Go down
llseeker
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:53 pm

I read the link and as far as I understood it seems that only Barada had the 1984 copyright.....

Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 2:22 pm

I did not know till yesterday that Kenner mixed up the names of 4-lom and Zuckuss, for 30 odd years I have carred on that mistake Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Gorneesh wrote:
I did not know till yesterday that Kenner mixed up the names of 4-lom and Zuckuss, for 30 odd years I have carred on that mistake Embarassed

To vintage collectors Zuckuss will forever be Zuckuss and 4-LOM will forever be 4-LOM.
Back to top Go down
Hyver
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Hyver

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Capetown wrote:
Gorneesh wrote:

To vintage collectors Zuckuss will forever be Zuckuss and 4-LOM will forever be 4-LOM.

amen!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyverkanda.be
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Hyver wrote:
Capetown wrote:
Gorneesh wrote:

amen!

Their "mistake" is the official names as far collecting is concerned.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 am

I didn't know about this 'big find' in my home city :
[quote=Orgazmo]My brother and I were lucky enough sometime around 1989/90 to get a call from a lady who replied to a "wanted to buy" flyer we posted at a local comic store.

She informed us that she purchased all the remaining boxed stock off the vendor, I assume it was Bensons as Dax mentioned above, and that she had tons of carded figures for sale.

Initially she only wanted to sell carded figures to us via the phone and we would send a money order and a box of carded figures would show up.

However after a few orders she finally allowed us to visit her house to purchase the carded figures. She lived in a townhouse was about 30 years of age, thin, short red hair. Downstairs looked normal aside from all the Pezz she collected. Upstairs was where the real treasure lived. She had two bedrooms stacked with thousands of carded figures, piles stacked on shelves and in cupboards. No furniture in these rooms. Her bedroom was also full of boxes full of various carded figures.

Through this lady my brother and I were able to put together about 82 carded figures from the collect all 92 collection. She always would tell us " Don't bother with the loose stuff, buy the carded figures" but at the time I really wanted the loose POTF figures as I missed these the first time when I grew out of Star Wars when I got into my teens and was told I'm too old to play with toys.

I do know she sold a ton of carded figures to Intergalatic Trading Co. Around 1989/90. She would also trade carded figures with US Sailors when they were in port in Fremantle for boxes of butterfingers and other wonderful American candy.

I'll never forget the day when I said I wanted a Han Carbonite loose as I never had it the first time around and she picked one off the shelf and tore it off the card and gave it to me. I even still have the price lists my brother and I paid for each of the carded figures off this lady.

Where we got extra lucky was she would say if you spend so much....$$$ then you can choose any carded figure with a cracked bubble for $1.00. Mind you at the time I was studying at Uni and my brother was still in High School, so spending a few hundred dollars on carded figures was madness to our folks.

We were also trying to put a loose collection together but this lady kept telling us not to waist my time with loose figures. Stick with the carded ones. So one visit we had made another purchase and we asked her did she have any loose figures. She left the room for a few minutes and came back into the spare room and emptied a large black garbage bag of loose figures on the floor. Yak Face, Luke Stormtrooper, EV-9D9, coins, weapons, anything for $1.00.

This lady was amazing she saw the potential craze that was about to ignite again well before it did. My only regret is she sold so much of it off so quickly, but.....my brother and I were able to put together an amazing carded collection in such a short period of time thanks to her. I do often wonder what happened to her. I know she moved interstate and we lost contact with her. I guess she sold the bulk of her carded figures off overseas. I was able to find an address a few months ago for a lady with the same name living in the same suburb. But I'm a little reluctant to call after 22 years.

I can confirm though that out of all the carded figures she had, no POTF carded Yak Faces or Anakins. [/quote]
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 4:18 pm

I have just read that Ugnaught's purple mock is not a variation, but a faded blue mock.

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 PurpleBlueSmockUgnaughts
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Yr1977
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Yr1977

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:43 am

aussiejames > Thats a really cool story dude. Memories are what its about man.
Back to top Go down
stealthboy
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
stealthboy

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 9:51 am

Capetown wrote:
Gorneesh wrote:

I'm just curious if I'm in agreement with everyone - to me, 4-LOM is the dark grey droid, and Zuckuss is the light brown bug-face figure with the cloth robe. I just always thought it made sense because 4-LOM is a droid, so the letter and number designation is perfect.

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:12 pm

I knew about the alternative art work on the Wampa box.

But while reading a RS post, it was only today I realized that it is Rebel Commander and not Luke Hoth who is being dragged away by Wampa on this box. I always thought it was Luke, like on the other box.

Emiel: I took some pics from your limelight to show this, hope you don't mind. Very Happy

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 Sw_wampa_esb_kenner_canada002

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 Sw_hoth_wampa_misb_esb_kenner002-1
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Cool! Very nice observation Marco! I haven't seen enough of the Wampa boxes to notice the variations.
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 pm

i didn't know till just now that there more than just the standard 12,21,48,65,77,79,and 92 backs...there are 31,32,41,45,and 47 backs!! I bet there are probably more that exist I'm still learning about carded figures!! Where have I been?? Im blowing my mind!! unsure doh
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 am

Johnny U wrote:
i didn't know till just now that there more than just the standard 12,21,48,65,77,79,and 92 backs...there are 31,32,41,45,and 47 backs!! I bet there are probably more that exist I'm still learning about carded figures!! Where have I been?? Im blowing my mind!! unsure doh

Man, just wait till you get to the 20 backs. What a cluster frak that is. 20a, 20b,20c,20d,20e,20f,20g,20h.....
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm

DarthTad wrote:
Johnny U wrote:

Man, just wait till you get to the 20 backs. What a cluster frak that is. 20a, 20b,20c,20d,20e,20f,20g,20h.....

Oh boy I have so much to learn!! study
Back to top Go down
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Man - I feel like an idiot. All this time thinking I've had my complete loose Kenner run yet I've overlooked a pretty blatant detail. My Logray is missing his pouch! I don't now why I haven't paid attention to this before! I was just showing some of my pics to a buddy and thought to myself "something looks wrong with my Logray". Duh!

I've always prided myself on my attention to detail and I've had the figure for over a year. I guess I never really paid that much attention to it. Something I look at probably a hundred times a day and just overlooked assuming all was well. I probably made a not when I first got him that I still needed a pouch and just over looked it as I continued my collection. Oh well - time to get another upgrade and pass this one along to my son.

Anyone else ever have on one of these "smack yourself in the head" moments?? head bang

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 DSC02872
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

I feel pretty dumb about this, Maybe it don't really fit in but oh well.

I don't have much of my collection for display, I only got a small glass cabinet to use so I rarely got many of my figures up. One of those figures that never are up is Greedo that I got maybe 6-7 years ago. I had two, decided to sell one. I by then probably noticed it didn't have the dots in the eyes but in the box it went with the rest of the figures. So I had this memory of them having dots but when I was gonna take a photo of it, the light reflections on the photos looked just like those dot's and I got unsure if they had dots or not.

So I just learned they all got dots in the eyes except mine, who is the victim of a lazy Kenner employe.
I also just learned that FX-7s middle arm rotates but mine doesn't. darn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Neonboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Made IN USA onnly landspeeder    5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 pm

I think the Kenner 3 34" landspeeder is the only Star wars toy made in the USA.. not that it matters anymore just like my American cars.
Back to top Go down
http://neoneonart.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 2:20 am

A 93 back mock up does exist with Yak Face pictured:
5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 93back
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 5:18 am

Johnny U wrote:

http://theswca.com/images-speci/cardbacks/

Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope that helps a bit
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 am

Dr Dengar wrote:
wbobafett wrote:
.........that Bossk is on the Jabbas Sailbarge! Shocked Shocked Shocked

WOW....what great news! Never noticed him till today!

WOW! I started to google and found the movie still below. You have some better shots where we can see Bossk in the actual movie, Wolff?

Damn I totally missed this......where have I seen this??.....hmmmmmmm :scratch: :scratch:

[20 Minutes later]:

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 Interiorgroup1

Source:
http://www.skiffguards.com/sailbarge.html

Pretty good site IMO. I would love the same on Jabbas Palace! Very Happy

Maybe this one is better??

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 Reeyeesbosskcp6

Last edited by wbobafett on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 am

Wow pretty large bunch that gets blown up there, darn that bossk get blown up, I always thought he survived the triology Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 am

I didnt know half a year ago that Kenners Barada is actually a mixture of two Characters:

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 Klatooinian-comparison

5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 375px-93750MB

Edit: The vintage one is not pure Kithaba because bandolier and backpack are wrong......weired....LOL

Last edited by wbobafett on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "I didn't know that till just now" thread   5 - The "I didn't know that till just now" thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "I didn't know that till just now" thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next