The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Its hard to think how this started now, but it is truly a masterpiece my friend  :clap: 

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks Wolff, and I've been after one of them  Wink 
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 6:11 am

Thanks guys!!!

...and nice try Alex Wink Wink  lol! 

UPDATE:

The undersurface...now nearly finished! All pictures can be found here:

[URL="http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#14aug2014"]http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#22aug2014[/URL]

Starting with the turbine. I used a POTF2 Landspeeder part I got by accident. I broke it into two parts to get kind of a propeller installed. Made out of CA caps (which was stupid because you can't glue a CA cap with CA well). Added some wires and cables:

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_257

Then I started to plan the details. First I was trying to come as close to the ILM model as possible and the rest was kind of freestyle.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_258

I also noticed that all the cables must be fixed by something because the whole thing is lying upside down? I couldn't find any cable strabs or any construction that holds the wires and hoses regarding the ILM model, but decided to build something that looked like it could hold all the stuff and prevent it from getting lost in the desert of Tatooine Very Happy ....only seemed logical to "fix" those to the surface:

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_261

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_264

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_265

I then "tried" to prime those parts. I therefore used my airbrush the first time. I once tested it (after buying half a year ago) but seemed I hadn't cleaned it very well so I had massiv problems in the beginning. Well...seems like I need to practice, practice and practise! I always used rattlers only, but I thought it is time to start with my airbrush....better now then making the first steps while coing the paint job.
Also the grey is way too light for my needs. I will also need to sand a few parts (lots of irregularities...please do not look too close) and I will do the priming again...darker and better hopefully.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_267

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_269

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_270

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_271

The landing gear mechanism is again not working properly...I need to fix this also. But the lights are working fine, and the wing mechanism also works great.
I also added a comparison to the ILM model, not exactly the same angle but it does the job for now I hope.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_276

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_277

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_278

I am not sure what's up next? I had one goal for months: finishing the undersurface....still not all greeblies are up there and in my opinion the turbine is way too low....I shouldn't be that visible while looking at it from the side. I think I will make a stop for now and try to plan the next steps. Wink

I hope you like it!

Comments/criticism are welcome...

Regards

Wolff
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 10:19 am

The detailing looks really authentic Wolff.  :clap: 
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 10:51 am

Excellent job Wolff. cheers 
It's looking fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Wolff, you are the man with the golden hands, and you can take that literally.

Look at this ebay auction.....one custom Sail Barge sold for some serious money yesterday.
Though it is surely nice looking, yours is way better, the ending price would be as well, is my guess....

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 CustomSailbarge_zps7161d6e7

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__57_zps190654b5Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__571_zps0a0711f6Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__573_zpsd2066130Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__575_zpsb99d2726Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__574_zps6420b74eKhetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__576_zpsdb465a17Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__5710_zpsbe79dbf8Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__577_zps97ce7c0dKhetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Th__578_zps030c4a69
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:33 am

There was also another one that looked way better but fetched nothing...so huh??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Jabba-039-s-Sail-Barge-Custom-made-/301272150140?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item462538307c&nma=true&si=5hGscV9GV1uBFf0rMDAIzGmwqXc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Anyway: It is interesting to see how people are affected by my ideas.... Razz Razz Razz

The one Marco posted has the doors in the exact same place...though.... lol!

An the other one has taken my way of paneling (I know beacuse I cheated Laughing )

Anyway.....2000,- wouldn't be enough for me for sure. I am guessing I have invested already 600,- in materials, glue and colors....maybe even more. Scratchbuilding is expensive if you don't do it with cardboard... Wink

The CA glue: 3g are about 1,60 (the cheapest one and I used to buy the 3,50 one for a long time).....I have for sure used 100 x3 g of those.... affraid ...and many more to come! Colors are also already 100 and above (I already bought some for the coloring), Filler s also around 20-25,- right now...etc....

Just that you know what is waiting for you if you do it with plastic all around... What a Face

Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 am

If $2000 isn't enough Wolff, what about that warm good feeling inside you'll get when you give it away as a gift.... for example a Birthday gift :cool laugh:

I know what you mean by cost though, very expensive!
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 8:03 am

let me think about this.....hmmmmm

.....nahhhhhh! Razz

lol!

Well.....I do not get all those guys anway. Why build it when it is only for selling??? You build stuff for your own...not to gather money or get rid of it the minute it is finished......am I wrong??
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 8:27 am

No you're definately right!

People tell me all the time that I should sell my pictures and paintings but I just can't, I don't do it often and when I do, the time it takes, I could never part with it. Building something like that on that scale, not a chance!!!

I guess it would be a case of build two side by side and sell one to try and claw back some of the cost, but hell it would take for ever!
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 am

UPDATE:

All pictures can be found here:
[URL="http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#14aug2014"]http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#01sep2014[/URL]

I noticed some problems around the ship that occured with time, or things I haven't thought through good enough. There is panels and one of the doors that deformed that much over time that I need to renew them. It was also not very wise to start the paneling step by step while making the front, the middlepart and the rear. Now that the hull is completely done one side is okay but the other side needs to be redone. I am not sure if completley or if I can get a good result with partially renewing the paneling yet. The deformed door is the main problem right now. I need to add 2,5 mm to the surface at one side. I will also need to add magnets to the doors and some other transitional areas because some parts start to bulge. I also did the throne too fast. I had some wood boards that were perfect for the job so I used them, but the ship-rear is now way to heavy.

I started to make the guardrails to the middle and rear part.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_280

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_283

While making those I noticed other problems as well. I need to finish/change/renew/correct/attach first many, many things (stairway, pillars, floor and ceiling, transition parts, walls, the bar, lightning etc) before I can go on with the guardrails. The problem is everything is knotted to somethingelse that needs to be done first. So I wrote a list what to do (this normally helps) but my mind started spinning round I decided to just start from rear to front doing everything that needs to be done building elemnt by building element and step by step, if necessary right nor or not.....

First step was reducing the weight: I opened it from below and drilled out as much wood as possible and of course two times I came to close and the drill was through. A few parts broke as well. You can see what was removed to the right (pan) and below what parts broke while doing this.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_284

The lighnting to the throneroom was done as well (part of it):

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_288

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_289

What I always wanted to do is making those partitions with windows inside the throne room. I slightly sprayed a see-through acrylic board and srcatched out the design.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_285

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_286

The first window I finished was then sprayed with a fixative, just noticing that it ruined it all. The adhesive agent tended to solve the sprayed color. So I needed to break it up and do it again.
I also started to do the "claws" with Fimo:

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_291

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_292

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_294

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_295

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_296

They are now nearly finished, but while making those I forgot to calculate the "claws" and it will get very narrow in there reagrding the pillars. As you can see, Wizam is a bid frustrated. Not sure if pillars and the new parts will fit in and even when they do it doesn't look very well. I have to think about a solution first.

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_293

I hope you like it!

Comments/criticism are welcome...

Regards

Wolff
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:43 pm

I don't know how many times we can all say WOW!!

Your attention to detail is unrivalled my friend. Looks amazing! cheers
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Awesome work Wolf, the spray etched detailing on the panels turned out really well. As did the red mood lighting behind Jabba's throne :clap: :clap:

Last edited by chris.75 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:59 pm

:clap: Excellent work. It looks fantastic.cheers

Hopefully you'll figure out some fixes for all the flaws.
Your eyes must hurt at the end of the day, when working at such a small scale?What a Face
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 am

Keep up the excellent work. I like how you write lists to problem solve, sometimes taking a step back for a few days also helps bring new solutions. The window panels and lighting effects look superb.

Good idea to drill out the surplus wood to keep the weight down. I guess all Gammy guards will be banned from riding this ship now lol Smile

Thanks for the updates - always good to see the progress.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 am

Thank you guys!! Great to read your comments guys!!

Here is some test shots with the lightning I did today.

The Gargoyles (Ishi Tib) are still missing but I finished the Rancor base and added some more light. Needs to be improved, but I know now what to do. At least it works...LOL. The pillars were transplanted to another place....etc etc

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_297

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_298

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_299

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 Khetanna_300
Back to top Go down
pattejan
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
pattejan

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Great updates Wolff, awesome work!

As always when I comment the progress here: WOW!!! Shocked :clap: bow
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Love this pic:

it looks huge inside from this angle, with amazing attention to detail and lighting jawdrop
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks guys...means a lot to me...replies are barely made in all forums I present this....sadly! So it is a pleasure to read your thoughts and comments!  Cool

...and: Now imagine I would have done it in the correct size: twice the size.....a pitty...why haven't I done it larger?? Ahhh...I remeber...my wife would kill me for a 2,20m barge.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

A friend made this:

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 V3ipnBd

Lovin' it!!! Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 12:22 pm

welcome to TIG Dave.

I have edited your post for the reason given above.

Please feel free to introduce yourself here: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t7181-who-s-who-don-t-be-shy-introduce-yourself-here

Steve
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm

chris.75 wrote:
Love this pic:

it looks huge inside from this angle, with amazing attention to detail and lighting jawdrop

Totally agree Chris  cheers , Awesome work as always Wolff cheers :clap:

Cheers Andy Stormie Smiley
Back to top Go down
Plisnithus7
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Plisnithus7

PostSubject: Wow   Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 10:50 pm

This is truly amazing!
Any updates?
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Not likely I'm afraid Sad
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 11:51 pm

Man that thing is huge and awesome great job so far
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom    Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom  - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8