The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Custom Stands

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I've been thinking of ways to combine my hobby and my work background (Design Enginner/3D CAD) and so far i've come up with two idea's, the first is as follows...

Below are some early mock ups of several custom designed stands.

Custom Stands Ko5aiHp

Custom Stands 2s1O3hR

Custom Stands FYVo48J

Size : Approx 38mm / 1.5" diameter, 3.0mm / 1/8" thick
Material : Clear Acrylic

Any feedback or comments are appreciated. Idea's for Logo's, maybe PBP/POCH or SW/ESB maybe even TIG. Different shapes, sizes, materials etc....
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Those are sweet.... Love to have some. If you do start to make them and sell them on a larger scale than just a message board (meaning, you are getting in quite a bit of orders which I could see you doing), I would speak to someone at Hasbro about copyright or licensing fees. I was a photographer (sports) covering Oklahoma State athletics and also ran a large fan board, which sold t-shirts, and had to deal with legal departments all the time. A good example would be, if they wanted to... Hasbro could ask for all images of their products or Kenner products off this site, be removed from anything of sale (buttons, shirts, etc).

BTW: Could you make me an AR-15 lower and a few magazine clips? Smile
(they are now doing 3D printing of them)
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 1:17 pm

How making blank round 'universal' stands.

Then having a seperate sticker sheet with company logo's on clear vinyl to stick to the underside?

Obviously the logo's would need to be reverse, this way custom labels could be producted on the cheap with logos, figure names etc....
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I would be in for a lot of these stands. I know I have seen some ledy stands before but I dont know if they look like the ones you have drawn out or not. Either way I need a ton of figure stands and have been thinking lately of a good way to differentiate between the different companys.
Back to top Go down
Thargoil
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thargoil

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 pm

How about 'elevated' stands, like 1cm high with logo / brand on the front side instead of below the feet.
(like a bottle cap, but than clear, with a pin and logo instead of grip pattern).
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 pm

I thought about making some Ledy stands. I have access to acrylic sheets & a laser cutter/engraver but the cost was prohibitive. How were you going to produce the 'peg' ?
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 4:45 pm

I think this is a really good idea Stefan, there is definitely a large market for these kind of stands. personally i prefer the larger Protech sized stands compared to the original vintage size but obviously they take up more display space. If you can find a way to produce these stands affordably and are able to avoid any legal entanglements with regards to branding copyrights, then this idea could be a real hit. cheers
I really like the look of the Palitoy stand. The LL looks pretty cool too but doesn't somebody already produce those? or are the ones I've seen just customized stands and not mass produced.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Yes the ledy one's are already produced I'm guessing by several different people as I've seen 2 variants of the stand.

Size wise I think a mid-sized one would be nice as I find the original stands too small and the protect too big.

As for the pegs, again several options, like the Ledy they are profile cut and then inserted into a plain hole, or acrylic rods could be cut and glued in place.

Anyone like the sticker idea, or does everyone prefer engraved?

The copyright thing is an issue. Copying it has potential issues, changing the logo style or spelling then puts of collectors.

Volume wise best keep them on the forums, but there would be no way to stop people reselling them.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:05 pm

those are really cool looking
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 5:03 am

I was hoping that someone would make these.
They are awesome and add the final touch to loose figure collections.
I think that the market would be huge on these stands, and making more manufacturer
brand logos such as Top Toys, Toltoys, Glasslite, etc, etc,
would be very succesful.
I think the engraved stands would look better, and be more popular than stickers.
If you make these, i would be interested a great big bunch of them to replace my protech stands.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Does anyone what companies have gone out of business or are still trading?

Lili ledy?
Glasslite?
Top toys?
Kenner = owned by hasbro
Palitoy?
Clipper?
PBP?
Poch?
Meccano = still trading
Toltoys?
Takara?
Back to top Go down
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Takara is currently Takara Tomy, most known for Transformers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Custom Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Stands   Custom Stands I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Stands

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1