The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Empty
PostSubject: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 pm

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset 111

A look into Cromalins and the design process of a Kenner toy!

The design of both versions of the Jabbas Dungeon Playset are quite eye catching, the original with its warm Orange colour and the POTF version with a cool Green, I think they stand out really nicely on display, another win for the Kenner design team!

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Fullcr10

The picture above shows my Cromalin, it has various marked changes and notes on it, most notably is the wording that is underneath some of the "action" shots the side of the box has on it.

The text that was originally conceived was :

The Branding Iron Will Torture Any Droid In Jabbas Dungeon

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Origin10

It seems that the word torture was a bit too much for this particular kids toy, even if it did feature a torture droid!

This change was marked on the Cromalin by one of the departments that worked on this design and you can read the new suggested text here :

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Wordin10

It reads : Use the branding iron on any droids in Jabbas dungeon

I believe the wording bottom left indicates the text/size to be used (10pt Avant Gard Medium)

Well, I got interested to see if that change actually was made or was left out due to time constraints and to my surprise the new text IS on the finished article :

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Dscf3117
The cool thing is (and you may have seen it in the last picture) that the change was NOT added to the box design that went ahead for printing, it is actually a sticker!

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Dscf3118

You can see it clearer in the above picture, a small black sticker with the new text neatly stuck over the old text!

This I presume happened at the factory at some stage, where I couldn't tell you but I do know I have seen playsets without the sticker and sure enough if you check your playsets and took the sticker up the old "torture" text is still underneath Smile

There are a few more cool things on this piece, the next picture shows the box design a bit closer and you will notice that the bottom right blank areas are marked for changes

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Fronta10

These boxes are the barcode box (called a UPC) and the top is noted as a PIS, interestingly they were printed out on the final design and here is the wording that went into the PIS box.

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Upcpop10

Timeline:

This particular Cromalin started its journey on the 7th June 1983, first sign off is the 8th June, in Marketing.

Here is the sign off sheet which shows the dates ,signatures and departments it went through.

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Signof10
If you check the last date on the sheet you can see it was signed off by an Engineer on June 22nd and seemingly signed off again on the same day by the Packaging Art Director, he didn't date it but he used the same pen so I think its safe to say it was the same day.

June 22nd has a special meaning to me because it is my birthday. I was very lucky to have this piece come up and with the birthday link I couldn't pass it up, so I need to say a big thanks to my Wife who bought this for my 26th this year Very Happy

(I have wanted to do this for a long time, since receiving my Jabbas Dungeon Cromalin and first noticed distinct changes of the original design to the finished article.
I hope this thread was slightly informative and interesting, the pictures are still not ideal or really what I wanted for this thread but they will serve their purpose and are clear enough to view Smile )
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Wow this thread was a great read Joe!!! Kudos!

I have to agree i thought both the orange background for the ROTJ design and the green background for the POTF design were great choices and both look great on display!

Just to add to the thread for those that may not have seen them before this is the POTF Version -

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset Potf_j10

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Killer write up Joe and very well explained. I looked at a few dungeons and never paid any attention to the sticker change. I wonder if any actually got out without the sticker applied.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm glad you got around to posting this info Joe. It really shows how great pieces like these are as you get an inside look as to what was going on in Kenner. I am still amazed at how much preproduction has survived and glad that it did. I also love the birthday reference, even then Kenner knew you were destined for 8D8. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 pm

That thing is so cool!!!

I want one that has Boba Fett on it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:48 am

A very nice inside story, Joe. I enjoyed reading it very much. Thx!
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:46 am

A fun read Joe, thanks.

Any more people have one of these for a follow up?
Back to top Go down
DarthStanley
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
DarthStanley

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:34 am

Great write up Joe & very informative too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 8:53 am

Glad you enjoyed it guys Smile I would like anyone else with marked Cromalins to take part and do a similar thread in the future so if you do have one and wish to review it in this way , please don't hesitate to make your own thread!

I am also glad to tell you that yesterday I was asked if the write up could be included on the SWCA! Will link you if it makes it Smile
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 am

Joe_O wrote:

I am also glad to tell you that yesterday I was asked if the write up could be included on the SWCA! Will link you if it makes it Smile

Awesome Joe! I don't see why it wouldn't be included, so let us know when it is added.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am

Maybe they'll make you their official cromalin reviewer and you get to keep every other cromalin. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:40 am

Capetown wrote:
Maybe they'll make you their official cromalin reviewer and you get to keep every other cromalin. Very Happy

You have the best ideas Emi Cool Laughing
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm

I do, don't I. Cool
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Joe that's a great write-up and research piece on the cromalin - enjoyed thanks Smile
And kudos too on getting the SWCA inclusion ask cheers
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Major kudos for the SWCA inclusion, Joe. I know that made your day.
Back to top Go down
Hyver
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Hyver

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 am

great write up Joe! glad i read it here first Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyverkanda.be
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 am

Real interesting stuff Joe. I'm sure that little tale will encourage others to go for a cromalin if they come up. Well done on SWCA nomination too bud.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Well it's taken a year but it made it to the Archive finally - http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=80885

And a bump if anyone is interested in Kenner design/cromalins Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Congrats on getting it on the Archive finally, Joe. Dont let it give you a big head now that your officially in the Inner Circle. lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Lol I think it would take another 10 years and 100 more contributions to get near that inner circle lol!
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 am

Very cool items Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Joe what a refreshing read. I had no idea you wrote this last summer - an awesome bit of scholarhip with all the details. It not surprising that you were invited to add your words to the SWCA.

Wow the birthday date and 8D8 link are very trippy but that the force for you! lol

I love how they tried to be more "family friendly" with the stickers covering up the nasty words like torture.

I can't see why though as every kid must of replayed that scene at home. I remember me and my cousin burning captured stormtrooper feet off with the hot irons back in 83 and I still had the clubbed foot stormies until a few years back.

I didn't release that there was a check off sheet too, so looking forward to seeing what is on mine when I finshed the paying it off.

A thought about the signitures... Could the same person signed off the two check boxes? He wasn't supposed to, but you would be surprised how often that is done in engineering projects, as the right people often are not in at the right time and if deadline are tight QA goes right out the window. It might explain why the stickers had to be used. Back in the old job we would just sign for the senior guy - as it was more likely we would check the work twice than him once. Though we made sure we wrote in a different colour pen.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 pm

This just goes to show you how special Star Wars is to some people. It affected many people's live in different ways. Thanks for sharing this information and story!

it was very nice of you to do so!

cheers mate! enjoy your treasure!

MTFBWY always! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset   A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A look into Cromalins : Jabbas Dungeon playset

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1