The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

new Darth but what is he??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

3 - new Darth but what is he?? Empty
PostSubject: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 am

Hi guys, this Darth turned up today, right i will let you know i got him from the well known auction site, also the seller has only sold about 12 items in the last 6 months and nothing else was star wars, he also claimed he had this from years ago (i have no reason to believe different) so the only background info is it was bought in the uk years ago.

Whilst looking him up i noticed the figure has lot of pros leading me towards the poche figure shown in wolffs VV poche guide, obviously i am not saying it is but i need to clarify what he is for my own sanity. I will try and make this simple and have tried to take the pics i can. first is the pros list-

PROS.

1.He is alot duller and his limbs are a violet color all exactly like wolff describes.(again i tried to show the color difference it shows in 1 of the pics slightly)
2.He has a rough molded head with loads of dimples/dots and these are in various places on his torso as well, also his epm on the back of his head has a sloppy cut away mark.(again in the pics)
3. his torso does not match up when it was sonic welded it has left a "lip" where he was badly made. he is original and this is definetly factory sonic welding. ( in the pics)
4. the saber that came with him is identical to the pbp version color and everything. it is bendy and also has the flashing all around it.
5. lastly the corner of his cape is different to my others the #3/4 kenners are sharp corners,#2 kenner is very round, but his is inbetween and also wider?
6. he also has flashing around his hand and the oversized thumb, and the saber hand is way up the hilt, very wonky foot etc...

CONS.

1. apart from the bad torso welding and raised dimple/dots all over he does'nt have any melt marks or a penis?
2. his coo is V1(1a) in wolffs 3.0 guide but this does not state poch or not? and is not the known pbp variant?
3. the cape has the normal zipping kenner feel.

The only reason i question him is because he was filthy when igot him and looks all original (nothing replaced) and obviously with the saber fig and cape all having these traits.....you can guess Smile

Any input would be much appreciated guys, would like to hear from Bill on this if possible as well Smile

Order of appearance #1 ??? new fig , #2 kenner coo , # 3 kenner, # 4 childhood kenner/shared  ( The new fig/ saber etc is always the one to the left the first the first shown)

3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160410

3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160412
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160411
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160415
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160413
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160414
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160417
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160419
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160416
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160421
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160418
3 - new Darth but what is he?? 20160420

He also has the gimpy leg lol!

i am pest but without your help i dont know where he goes in my collection!!!
Back to top Go down
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Just noticed the grammar is quite bad on this sorry guys doh  

If any body needs pics or anything else just let me know Very Happy

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4427p285-the-poch-pbp-guide-discussion-thread-part-one#85453

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/poch/poch-variants/darth-vader/

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/anh/darth-vader/#a

3 - new Darth but what is he?? Vader_10
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 1:46 pm

I don't have a lot of time right now to look this over.  I will give it a bit more look tonight.  In the mean time Bill @hellhippie may be able to answer this.  He has been on a poch binge and probably knows as much as anyone here about them to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 1:51 pm

trappedtexan wrote:
I don't have a lot of time right now to look this over.  I will give it a bit more look tonight.  In the mean time Bill @hellhippie may be able to answer this.  He has been on a poch binge and probably knows as much as anyone here about them to be honest.

Thanks Bryan I will be on late again tonight, I have already hiilhippie a pm, he will hopefully take a look as well Smile I might do a quiz soon???
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm

hi mark , i'm no expert but as Bryan stated I have been obsessed with poch / pbp variants for quite some time now . the head on yours looks very similar to my poch vader . rough mold, epm, etc........ some believe as I do also that many poch vriants came with kenner accessories and I do too . our vaders have other similar traits as well . the excessive flashing is also present . my vader has a different coo as you've previously stated . mine has a strong violet almost purple color in strong light on the torso , not the limbs I believe but i'll have to check my notes (yes there are notes  geek ) all my foreign variants have notes when I catalog them . as far as the sabre my sabre is quite similar to yours.  

now for the bad news ....................... doh
ive never seen or heard of a poch vader without meltmarks as they are quite well documented on Spanish vaders . (once again I cant say for sire yours is not )
also ive never seen one without a clear plastic extrusion between the legs . ive read and studied every arcticle and poch collection or collector on the net ( once again this makes me no expert) BUT it does seem that many who own a rare poch vader know that these similarities exist on all poch vaders ... so I hope this helps . i'll try to take some detailed photos of the certain traits on mine but without certain traits coming from spain or a Spanish source this is quite tough to say for sure .  

on a side not hes very cool and all these reasons are really why I love poch figures . it could be a CAT2 figure meaning poch head mixed up limbs torso etc but cant say for sure
Back to top Go down
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi Bill, thanks so much for taking the time to look, I was exactly on the same fence as you about this with the melt marks not there and the extrusion between the legs. I also thought this could be made from poch parts but is it a cat 2? I could really do with verifying him ,I am like you I have every figure logged with every difference, even my weapons are catalogued! And this is meant to be a hobby lol!!

I have just read what you said about the limbs might not be purple on yours? Also sorry but how would I find out if he is a cat 2?

Lastly I would love to see your darth, excellent to see a comparison Stormie Smiley Stormie Smiley
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Mark, I see bill is helping and he is full up on poch knowledge. Also might try to pm Oscar (M4K3R1) http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/u867 as he is one of the most knowledgable Vader character focus guys around.
Back to top Go down
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks Bryan your a star. Its only so I can tick him off the list if you know what I mean? Very Happy

Im gonna look at the link now.

Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 6:36 am

one more thing that I thought of , there is also a known kenner counterpart that ive read about . I don't own one nor do I know of anyone that does personally . there is some info on it somewhere although I don't recall where I read about it
Back to top Go down
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 8:05 am

Hi hellhippie, thanks i will see if i can the info Smile, i must admit though the more i read the class II rules the more it seems to fit? poch parts-transferred to the PBP factory/hut and then put together and carded with accessories. It makes sense that way? but like you say we need somebody who has the same fig....this is hard because i dont want to degrade the figure and i dont want to make this decision on my own :I am stupid:
Back to top Go down
Lobotic
Developer
Developer
Lobotic

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 10:23 am

Found him or as near as damn! he has a different panel and coo and not violet in color but- dull limbs,glossy body and the dodgy head it is also a kenner so i am going with that... Very Happy The pic is from this link

http://www.highasakoit.co.uk/starwars/vader.php

Thanks everyone for the help much appreciated cheers cheers cheers

3 - new Darth but what is he?? Vaderh10

Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 3:42 pm

glad you figured him out
glad to help also
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new Darth but what is he??   3 - new Darth but what is he?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new Darth but what is he??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1