The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

AFA Proof grading - weird

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

AFA Proof grading - weird Empty
PostSubject: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

OK, so I sent my Luke FB Revenge Proof off to AFA along with Leia Bespin for my first grading experience.
I wanted to safeguard these and give AFA a whirl.

I got them back today and both graded 85. I was happy about Leia but thought Luke would have got a 90. He is in visibly better shape than Leia but yet graded the same.

I spent the extra $5 to have the report sent and Luke only had 1 imperfection, a tiny ding to the card.
It was graded lower becuase of marks on the card.
These marks, however, are printing marks. Not pen, marker, ink, water, sticky... there are part of the manufacturing process. Tiny imperfections from the printer itself.

I would never have thought that they would be taken into consideration. They are tiny but there are a few of them.

Do you agree that these should be taken into consideration?

Here is a scan of my card before it was entombed and I circled the areas in green.

AFA Proof grading - weird 9734740048_7a5829fd9f_o

I would agree if it was ink drips from a sloppy, unclean printer or roller marks or other physical imperfections, but I don't know.

Thoughts?

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 7:40 pm

As far as I know they don't hand out 90s easily. Any flaw, factory made or otherwise should be considered IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sandcrawler72
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Sandcrawler72

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 2:31 am

I guess to be fair to AFA; they take a base "snap shot" of what the front and back of the item should look like.  So they grade your proof, MOC or whatever else to that base "snap shot".  So if there are any printing errors this will affect the overall grade.  Most likely a lesser hit but a hit never the less.  

When dealing with prototypes, you can't get too hung up on the grade.  Due to limited run on prototypes, a grade doesn't matter much.  Just be thankful you have an example in your collection regardless if it's a 1 know example, 5 known examples, 50 known examples and so on.

Sure one can say; “you could get pickier on a grade for Revenge proofs since it's the most common proof.”  I kind laugh at that perception in the collector community.  There are estimated 50 known examples for each character in the Revenge common proof run.  A known fact is that many characters within the Revenge common proof run are far less than that amount.  It's hard to nail down the exact number on Revenge proofs.  But my point here is a Revenge common proof Luke is far scarcer than a production VC Jawa MOC any way you look at it.  That's one example of the skewed perceptions out there and there are many more.

In the end, enjoy your Revenge Luke proof because it looks fantastic.  A wise note to all collectors new and old… Don’t worry about the grade, just be happy with the preproduction item.
Back to top Go down
eljawa
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
eljawa

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 2:45 am

I dont know much but id like to think if AFA can find a sample without a specific blemish that means a blemish is an imperfection. Factory Blemish or not, if they made one without that blemish, it should be graded less. If every sample has that imperfection then it should be considered standard. Yes? No?
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 3:37 am

Minor defects or not, that is still a fine example.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks for the input guys.

I want to reiterate... I love my proofs! :buzzing: 

I was just shocked that those types of marks weighed in and even so heavily.

When you look at the Luke and Leia Bespin ones side by side, anyone would say the Luke looks better but yet they graded the same. I fully expected Leia to grade 5 -10 lower than Luke, but that wasn't the case. That's what I really found weird. It is what it is and I am fine with that. Smile

Regardless, I am very happy with a pair of 85 Revenge Proofs! What a Face 

OH... I thought the cases were completely sealed up. If you push in (gently) on the back, near the bottom, the case back isn't sealed to the bottom. It can't get out, but I thought these things were air-tight.
Anyway.......

thanks again!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 8:22 am

Yeah not air tight. Maybe the Leia was a 'low' 85 & Luke a 'high' 85 Wink 
Back to top Go down
hender62
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
hender62

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Jay, 85's are fantastic. Congratulations on a couple of really nice examples. 90's just are not handed out very much with proofs. There is always something to be picky about. I am sure they display awesome!

Don
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:03 am

hender62 wrote:
Jay, 85's are fantastic. Congratulations on a couple of really nice examples. 90's just are not handed out very much with proofs. There is always something to be picky about. I am sure they display awesome!

Don
Oh yeah they are great! Thanks and it is a nod to you too! Nice stuff man!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AFA Proof grading - weird   AFA Proof grading - weird I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AFA Proof grading - weird

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1