The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? Empty
PostSubject: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 am

MY CURRENT DILEMMA

I have the possibility of obtaining a Luke DT Saber Mint in Baggie from one of the more reputable collectors on RS.

Here are my options....

1. Go after and get the Luke DT Mint in Baggie... which would put a long hault on getting the rest of my loose figs AFA graded.

2. Pass on the Luke DT Mint in Baggie.... finish getting my loose figure set AFA graded... then worry about getting another Luke DT down the road.

:?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch: :?: :scratch:

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO???
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 5:54 am

Hi Coach,
How about just picking up a loose DT luke for a fraction of the price, that would sit nicely in your loose collection.

$800 is a lot to chuck at a Dt luke baggie imo, especially if you don't collect baggies.
Tbh i have not seen one for sale for a while, but i haven't been looking or followed prices but the one on Rs seems high $$ to me.
Its from a well known trusted seller though, so that goes a long way as at least you know its legit, and you will actually receive it lol.

I can see the appeal (well i would being a baggie collector) but loose figs display better than baggies so unless baggies are your thing i would buy loose.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 am

Hey Coach,

$800? That way too much dude! I saw a a lovely bagged Luke DT go for half that a few weeks back.

I would maybe do some research first before spending all your funds?
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 7:28 am

I wont get it if its $800.00... I'm trying to negotiate the price down a couple hundred.

Especially since I just saw this listing on eBay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-STAR-WARS-EARLY-BIRD-KIT-w-DOUBLE-TELESCOPING-LUKE_W0QQitemZ320487143109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9e85b6c5

Since he lives in my area and I just joined their Chicago Collectors Group, he is going to help me out and let me pay for it in several payments.... which makes things easier on me and a higher price tag not so bad.

Thanks for the opinions... KEEP EM COMING!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:06 am

Good man Coach and good luck with the haggling!

Here's that Luke DT is saw "a few weeks back" from "getfett"

Type this ebay number into ebay search: 290372082678

It was actually last November I saw it (must be that new wiskey diet I doing... I lost 3 months already!)
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 am

Good Advice Craig

I would expect to pay around $400 certainly not the price that the one your after is listed at Coach.

Out of curiosity why are you going for a baggie?
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:04 am

I contacted someone on scum about that early bird set as i knew they were desperate for a heat sealed dt.

However i originally missed the bit that said they were resealed, so 1k is not so much of a bargain now imho.

I paid $175 for my loose Dt off scum, so you should be able to get one for $175-250 max.
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am

I think the most i would pay for a Dt baggie would be $550, but it would have to be seriously mint.
They have rocketed in price, but not to $800.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 am

jaymassive619 wrote:
Good Advice Craig

I would expect to pay around $400 certainly not the price that the one your after is listed at Coach.

Out of curiosity why are you going for a baggie?

Bc I want a minty DT Luke!!! Baggie or No Baggie!!!!
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 am

Personally, I think you would be much happier going after a loose DT Luke.

Like Craig and Del have expressed earlier baggies are really tough to display. There are plenty of minty loose DT's out there if you look hard enough. Not only that, but $800 is way too much to pay for one. Unless it was the entire EB figure set, I wouldn't go anywhere near it for that price. Smile

I guess it really boils down to how you want to display it and what your intentions are with the baggie. If you're not really a baggie collector, there are much better/cheaper options out there for you.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am

As someone who plans to piece together an early bird mailer, Please Don't open that baggie!!!!

With some patience you will be able to find a nice minty loose example and it will save you some cash. The thought had come across my mind to offer that seller a payment plan to see if he would go for it at around $600 as that is what I am expecting to pay for one. I opted to hold off as I'm jumping to EB stuff when that was my goal for next year. lol

We're talking about one of the first figures to go off the assembly line and it has stayed in that baggie for over 30 years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 am

Definately agree with what shawn said.

But then im against opening any baggie!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 am

I wouldnt take it out of the baggie!!!

I would get it AFA graded in the baggie!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:42 am

shawn_k wrote:
As someone who plans to piece together an early bird mailer, Please Don't open that baggie!!!!

With some patience you will be able to find a nice minty loose example and it will save you some cash. The thought had come across my mind to offer that seller a payment plan to see if he would go for it at around $600 as that is what I am expecting to pay for one. I opted to hold off as I'm jumping to EB stuff when that was my goal for next year. lol

We're talking about one of the first figures to go off the assembly line and it has stayed in that baggie for over 30 years.

Shawn if you want it for your EB Set then by all means.... I rather you take a stab at it!!!!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:42 am

coachk28 wrote:

AFA will most likely take it out of the baggie to grade it. As far as I know only one has been graded still in a tape sealed baggie is John's
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 am

coachk28 wrote:

Shawn if you want it for your EB Set then by all means.... I rather you take a stab at it!!!!

Thanks, that is really nice of you. I'm not sure of making a purchase like that right now. I'll have to dig even deeper into the collection to see what I can sell, but for a piece like this it would probably be worth it. Joe keeps telling me to sell my Transformers and this is a piece worth thinning that collection down for.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am

I'm sure he'll get back to me shortly about negotiating a price....

Should I tell Jimmy I'm going to hold off on it, bc a buddy of mine wants to pick it up for his EB Kit???

Again... I just want it as a loose/bagged AFA fig.... I rather you have it for your EB KIT!!!!!

Whatever you want to do Shawn, Im cool with it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am

shawn_k wrote:
coachk28 wrote:

AFA will most likely take it out of the baggie to grade it. As far as I know only one has been graded still in a tape sealed baggie is John's

I was wondering when someone was going to mention mine!!

James - You really do have a slim chance of getting it graded in baggie. They need to prove to themselves that the figure is real and the baggie isnt a reseal and both of those together diminish your chances. I consider myself very very lucky to have passed and I know others that have tried and (judging by lack of them saying anything) failed.

I will say $800 isnt as much of a gouge as you may think. I got a lot of PM's when I showed mine off and most people were paying $500-$600 and that was going back a while. Considering the U grading phenom , tape just coming loose after 3 decades , and the overall scarcity I don't think $800 is a terrible asking price (stressing ASKING).

FWIW - David (Jimmy_2Pack who I assume you are referring to) is a dynamite guy to deal with so no worries about it which does add some personal value and assurance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:41 am

I believe AFA have recently started to grade taped baggies, so you should be fine having him left in the bag.

Tbh if i was you i would buy loose, he would be much cheaper and display nicer.

Baggie's can look really niced cased, but i honestly think loose looks better.
Mind you a DT luke Baggie cased would rock lol!
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am

Darthberizing wrote:
shawn_k wrote:
coachk28 wrote:

I was wondering when someone was going to mention mine!!

James - You really do have a slim chance of getting it graded in baggie. They need to prove to themselves that the figure is real and the baggie isnt a reseal and both of those together diminish your chances. I consider myself very very lucky to have passed and I know others that have tried and (judging by lack of them saying anything) failed.

Thats good to know, i don't see why they had a problem with taped baggies tbh.
If you have a baggie in hand 99% of the time you can tell if the seal is legit or not.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am

Del wrote:
I believe AFA have recently started to grade taped baggies, so you should be fine having him left in the bag.

Tbh if i was you i would buy loose, he would be much cheaper and display nicer.

Baggie's can look really niced cased, but i honestly think loose looks better.
Mind you a DT luke Baggie cased would rock lol!

They've done baggie grading for a while. It's just difficult with the rarer figs since they need to be able to verify it's authenticity without opening it. Thats what makes it harder (especially on a DT figure).

As for how it looks, it's not terribly impressive. Here's a pic (bottom middle)

CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? DSC01954
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Rest assured guys... if that DT Luke ends up being mine.... I WILL NOT HAVE IT U-LOOSE GRADED!!!!!

I had planed on calling AFA a head of time and adding in the grading instructions that I do not want it removed from the bag.

Even if I do get it.... it may not stay in my possesion for long!!! Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:00 pm

My only gripe with grading baggies is the grading companys don't always case them totally upright.

With a loose figure they put those little plasic strips around it to stop it from moving, but with baggies they don't seem to bother (probably in case they tear the baggie).

UKG have made a good job with casing my baggies so far, but i have a few wonky figures that annoy the hell out of me.

While we are on about Dt baggies, is yours a 2 or 3 line coo?
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm

I sort of skimmed the subject Coach but can I ask a question?

If you ultimately want a loose one to grade, which cost roughly 200-300 dollars, why are you going to buy a baggied one for 600+? Surely you could put out a WTB for a loose one
and just get a loose one.. why pay through the nose for a baggie to later trade it for a loose one, it seems a funny way to operate in my eyes.

You could even put out a WTB for a graded DT Luke and probably snag one for 400-500 which is still less than a sealed baggy AND the grading is already done (just in case you were worried about buying a fake for that money)
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm

It's a 2 Line COO. I didnt realize that there more than one COO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???   CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CoachK28 Dilemma... What do you guys think???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next