The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

OT: Good with your hands.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 11:53 am

A thing of beauty, some great skills you got there Jorn :clap: :clap:
Back to top Go down
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks guys! More coming very soon! What a Face 
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am

I love this thread and am very impressed with all what you can do!
I have popped in the thread over the past year a few times and just noticed today a ton of pictures are missing from a few of replies unfortunately. Sad

Well, I used to draw back in the day and put away my pencils, inks and paints when I was around 20 when I realized I didn't have what it took to make it in the comic book world and I just went about my life.

I always got the itch to try again, but never was inspired to try again.

As some of you have seen, I got a little creative using my photos of my figures to make some digital artwork in THIS THREAD, but recently I saw a post about an artist's work over on RS name Alistair Eales who was watercoloring vintage figures. He did commissions too.
So I commissioned a Leia Bespin (go figure) from him and he sent along a scan of the final work and man, I was inspired to try drawing again. (I'll show off Alistair's piece when it arrives in a separate thread).

Anyway...
This time around, I decided to ditch the traditional pencil and pen approach and go all digital.
I picked up a Wacom CTH-480 (chearper on Amazon) small tablet for under $100 to see if it would work well, fired up Photoshop, spent over 8 hours these past few days and well, it is MUCH different than pencil on paper!

Its not any better, not really worse, but much different. It is jumpy every now and then (or perhaps that is just my nerves  :buzzing:  ) but overall the more I try things, the more I am liking it! Doing things all digital with the use of unlimited layers does have some major advantages however as I will show a bit of below.

I still need to wrap my head around the different brushes and get used to a 4" x 6" working area whlie looking at a 24" monitor and then how best to deal with zooming in and out and get the right "feel" of the inking and painting aspect of things.
And then there is the pressure settings, opacity and so much more. I thought I 'knew' Photoshop, but Photographic tools in Photoshop are not the same as drawing and painting!!!!

So here is my first attempt at a Leia Bespin pic from her 31B back (man, there is crap detail in those pics - very dark and contrasty in places and flat in others - I would kill for a good scan of the camera ready art used for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I am showing the steps I did just to document my fist digital piece (which isn't done, but it's done enough to get feedback and suggestions and well, I am happy about the progress Razz).

Please be kind..............

Pre-sketch with a quasi-grid to help match proportions
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965799504_849901498a

sketch layer over top pre-sketch
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965368045_37cbf1c260

removed pre-sketch layer
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11966210776_2db80b4fe1

added slight "enhancement" layer to be done later Wink
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11966213176_35bf213271

first decent inking layer over sketch
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965653873_b9d280e067

inking only - body will be added at a later point
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965652023_3fc7e2631c

some experiments with brushes and pressure to add detail in hair - this will be re-done (that's the beauty of layers in digital!)
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965358075_4de292ff95

add a quick bit of hair color
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965357195_951d108793

some eye and lip color
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11966202966_faa02575ea

added an OK flesh tone
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11966201596_02467bbdfb

a tad bit of shadow and highlights
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965782364_26434f4816

same as above but the extra hair detail removed (starting point for new hair detail layer)
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965350365_6cd1ea6549

all inking removed to show color only (not bad as a standalone?)
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965642013_6d8992d622

Experimental brush #2
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11966195256_d08982a043

Experimental brush #3
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965346645_a35cb39d36

Experimental brush #4
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965344815_1d9d85371a

Those experimental brushes obviously were just tests to see a bunch of things, but there were important in the learning process so why not show the bad or odd along with the good! Smile

So there you have it.... my favorite as it stands now is this one with the extra detail removed but I will add in some more, just not as much next go around:
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 11965350365_6cd1ea6549

I know even the best piece is still not great, but I am very pleased with my first try after 20 years sketch-less and a foray into a new medium at the same time.
I hope to improve as I practice more. Well, I hope. tongue

So.........

Is anyone else into digital art with a tablet or digitizer with Photoshop or other imaging app?
Anyone have any digital tips? (plugins, cool add on brushes, how to achieve some traditional paper type effects????)

Anyway........ thanks for looking!

cheers!
Very Happy

EDIT:
If anyone wants to see the full size I was working with, here is a flickr set of the above.

EDIT#2
Apparently Alistair already posted the painting he did for me on his blog. Blog Post Here Smile
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 am

Great artwork Jay, I love all the different variations. But I agree with you on your final choice, definately the winner for me.
I have a wacom bamboo tablet and pen, but I mainly use it for photoshop manipulation, as I find you can be  far more precise than you can with a mouse. But I haven't tried drawing from scratch with it yet. It can be a tricky thing to get the hang of at first, but I think your results are first class bud  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 12:21 pm

super cool Jay  cheers 
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Some great stuff there guys  cheers 

Heres some random pencil sketches from here and there  Very Happy  these are from 2011

Easter Island Moai sketch

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Pictur10

John Muir portrait

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Pictur11

First ever self portrait

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Pictur12

A few Star Wars Sketches I did back in 2006

Binary sunset

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Pictur13

Aurra Sing (was never happy with this)

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Pictur14

AT-AT

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 Pictur15
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 1:01 am

OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 SpencerVader02-front-rt
OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 VaderCase1

from http://blog.theswca.com/2015/04/celebration-anaheim-vader-case-project.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good with your hands.   OT: Good with your hands. - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OT: Good with your hands.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8