The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scoundrel68
New User
New User

Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use... Empty
PostSubject: Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use...   Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:31 am

Last year, I did a series of Star Wars Chewbacca Supercut videos on YouTube. They went "semi-viral" with one getting over 25,000 views and ending up being featured in a New York film festival.

I recently got this email from YouTube:

Quote :
Your video "Star Wars Chewbacca Supercut", may have content that is owned or licensed by FOX. As a result, the video has been blocked on YouTube.

This claim is penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

I did a little research online and it seems clear to me that using the Star Wars footage in my videos is Fair Use. It is non-commercial, transformative and does not harm the original in any way. So, I disputed the blockage. I've since received my third notice on other videos. YouTube has a 3 strikes rule and then they shut down you account. I guess because the first two were already in dispute, they didn't automatically shut me down.

It seems pretty ridiculous! Is Fox going to block every Star Wars parody video that uses their footage? That seems a bit crazy!

Curt Hanks

Last edited by Scoundrel68 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use...   Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 am

Dont ask german users......we have really problems here, because a lot of contents are already blocked because of the music used!!!

Vids that can be seen everywhere in the world are blocked here because someone used SW music in the background......laugable!!!

Sony music is the worst....every conten with Sony Music content is blocked here!

(I need US IP to see them!)
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use...   Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am

Example:

I cannot watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQ2hvv7c9M&list=UUhqAlA1RN9zsQ9H3NjXi1pA&index=5&feature=plcp

Its uploaded by a freind...it shows my diorama...and I cannot even watch it:

"This video is not availible in your country. We are sorry"

WTF???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use...   Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Semi OT: On the topic of Fair Use...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1