The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
dylbacca
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
dylbacca

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 pm

+1 for being utterly disgusted with Rebelscum.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 pm

I know we were told not to say much on this, but when you get so disgusted with something, you just have to speak out.

The latest happening that went on over there totally has me disgusted. His latest deleting and rant he posted up just shows the guy has lost it. There was nothing wrong with any of the posts that was in your farewell thread Joe. There was no need in the actions that has went on. When it gets to the point where whatever pix you post on a site, when you remove them, gets put back on without your permission, it is time to take it to the next level. That was total bullshit move on his part. But its cool, karma always has a way to bite you in the ass in the end. Sad thing is, karma is a pissed off pitbull dog thats rabid with fresh meat dangling in front of him just far enough out of reach.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Yzerman wrote:
What a fucking asshole he turns out to be. He should from now on be refered to as Darth Wise. Because you posted on the forum, he doesn't own your material. It's yours to take with you if you decide to leave. I agree with you, Joe that if he does restore the content you should pursue his ass. Could you move your pics away from the Flickr account and make it harder for him to restore the content?

He seems to be a little coward as well as he doesn't have the guts to send you a pm about it. Instead he post a message no one can reply to. Fucking idiot.

Here is Darth Wise's post.

I thought I'd make sure members understand some basics about the forum, as it relates to management of it in general, but specifically because I've just banned JosephY again, this time permanently.

Members that post in the forum take content from it and give content to it. That content is part of the forum, and not something that gets to leave with a member if he chooses to no longer participate, or if he loses his membership privileges.

If members are unwilling to post under this kind of give and take agreement, then they should not post in the forum.

JosephY returned from a suspension and promptly removed content that was part of the history of the forum.

He also started a goodbye thread, something in general that does not serve the community positively, and isn't something I am willing to let stand in the forum.

These actions led me to believe he is no longer somebody that can be part of the forum, and that's why I banned him permanently.

I am also returning his removed content to the forum.

I'm aware he will be learning of this the same way others are, by reading this thread, as I wish to have no personal contact with someone so unhappy when I have so many people that feel yelling, screaming and acting out in the forum is not acceptable to interact with instead.
LINK: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1083060/

Here is my open reply to Philip,since he's too much of a pussy to email me and discuss his dislike of my way of exiting the forums. If someone on his mod team, or that has his email would relay this to him,it'd be appreciated.

Philip,
Thru the years, I HAD considered you a friend and a reasonable person. I did not do nor did I say anything that would warrant a ban, let alone a permanent one. I simply stated changes that I and others saw and didn't like, and expressed that I would not be participating in any further discussions. I did NOT slag you or your forums in my statement,(I even went out of my way to not mention other sites that I'm posting on), only that it didn't feel like the home that it once did, and that I would keep my membership for the sake of the classifieds(and in hopes that the climate there would change for the better,which would have prompted my return). Had you messaged me, asking for me to remove the thread or my comments on it, I would have gladly done so, after all it's your forum. But.....to act in the manor that you have, it's doing nothing but giving other forums a healthy dose of new members leaving YOUR forum in disgust.

I also removed MY pictures from MY limelight. I do own the rights to everything in the Mos Yglesias limelight, as they are just about all linked to my flickr acct with an accompanying copyright notice on Flickr.

In your statement you mention things that had gotten me the previous suspension, which was done and over with. I paid for my crime....lol. Was it that your ego being bruised by the fact that many of the friends I have in the community were also posting their grievances with your dictator like running of Rebelscum? Or was it that you could no longer draw in new bootleg collectors with MY content and information?? Regardless, you've drawn a line in the sand with a good portion of the vintage community. My inbox on both the other forums I post on, my facebook, and my email have been overflowing today with support from vintage community friends that view your actions over my calmly written,humble, and non offensive farewell post as deplorable. Until today, I hadn't read that you had a policy against goodbye threads,I'd seen several others thru the years, including Tom Derbys, and none were closed or the posters permanently banned from RS. I was simply trying to let friends know that they wouldn't be seeing me around RS, but that I'd always be available when needed.

Cheers
Joseph

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 pm

This is freaking nuts. I tried deleting pics from my limelight, but I'm only able to edit the first post of the thread. So any updates are stuck there. I guess now I have to go to photo bucket and move them, although it will ruin them for all the other forums I've posted on.

I can't believe someone would treat members like this, and put out a blanket holier-than-thou statement demeaning and undermining his entire membership.

Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm really done with RS now. This is nuts. I'll be curious to see the backlash from this over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Like others have said, but it bears repeating, I am utterly speechless. I honestly don't have much more coherent thoughts than that.

That being said, I have to agree with what Mattias posted. Photo copyrights are pretty much universal and understood throughout the world. I think unless you uploaded then to RS photo host they are your property no matter what.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Well it's never simple. Here's Flickr's take on pic use:

Q: I'd like to use a photo I found on Flickr. How do I do that?

A: Our members share an incredible amount of amazing work on Flickr. If there is an image you'd like to use, look for the "Request to license" link near the license on the photo page. We've partnered with Getty Images who will review the image, determine if it's a good fit for licensing through them, and work out all the details if so.

Not all members have this enabled. If you don't see it you can also contact the member directly. As a member of Flickr, you can move your mouse over someone's buddy icon and click the little arrow to open the "person menu." Then select "Send FlickrMail" and compose your message. When you contact a photographer, it's best to include as much info as possible about the photo, yourself, and how you want to use the photo.

You could make the argument that Philip (who has made it clear it's HIS forum) didn't follow those rules and request to license. So there is the argument that he needs to contact Joe, via Flickr, and request this. Conversely Joe can contact Flickr, explain his photo's are being used without permission, and request (if possible) an IP Ban.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 am

Joseph_Y wrote:

Until today, I hadn't read that you had a policy against goodbye threads,I'd seen several others thru the years, including Tom Derbys, and none were closed or the posters permanently banned from RS. I was simply trying to let friends know that they wouldn't be seeing me around RS, but that I'd always be available when needed.

Cheers
Joseph

It is obvious that he is treating you differently than Tom Derby. Tom didn't get banned and still has his account. He should be permantely banned since Tom is no longer contributing to the RS community. That is how I interpret Philip's message that if you don't contribute to the community you will be banned.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Last edited by Yzerman on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:49 am

Yzerman wrote:
Joseph_Y wrote:

Until today, I hadn't read that you had a policy against goodbye threads,I'd seen several others thru the years, including Tom Derbys, and none were closed or the posters permanently banned from RS. I was simply trying to let friends know that they wouldn't be seeing me around RS, but that I'd always be available when needed.

Cheers
Joseph

It is obvious that he is treating you differently than Tom Derby. Tom didn't get banned and still has his account. He should be permantely banned since Tom is no longer contributing to the RS community. That is how I interupt Philip's message that if you don't contribute to the community you will be banned.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Someone better mention the thousands of lurkers and sock puppet accounts that he allows to stay.....oh wait...they help him claim more users so he makes more advertising revenue. :I am stupid:

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 am

I'd like to start a "Fuck You Philip Wise" thread and see how many responses it gets before it get shut down and I get heeved out of there too.
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 am

I think it's simply best that people leave, or make their own person choice how they want to interact on a social level with their fellow
SW collectors. There are obviously many new factors to consider, and of these there are two of such a gravity that I am still in a state
of shock over them. Anyone who looks at this situation objectively, and what is being proposed, should be equally shocked and put off
by this. The only thing I will say, it probably the simplest, and perhaps harshest .... I am truly thankful at this moment that I spent so
much time watermarking my personal images. I never thought I would say that as it relates to the context of this discussion, and I am
beyond disappointed by it.

Out of respect I have for my friends here, and on other forums - I would encourage people to make the most basic of "statements" -
simply leave. My thinking is very binary when it comes to this - I feel more of a sense of genuine community here, and the desire to
post and interact with everyone here. That's my choice - Just as it is conversely my choice to NOT post or interact in other venues or
social outlets that I do not feel welcome, or appreciated. It's an on/off situation for me - if you want to see what I have to say publicly,
post, or interact with me on a social level, then I have decided that TIG is a much better fit for me personally, and the membership here
is truly exceptional and welcoming.

Objectively, I do see the emotion, and the general attitude right now - and it is certainly justified. But in the long run, how does this serve
us as a community ? How is this FUN in any way, shape or form ? Is it not simply easier to just LEAVE, and continue on with relevant, productive,
meaningful posts, as a community ?

This is just my opinion on the matter obviously. Joe was publicly humiliated, and on the whole I feel this is a slap in the face to every old school
collector out there, and I am still upset. However, I feel ultimately this will be resolved privately, and these public outbursts back and forth do
nothing to help us, or serve the community as a whole.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 am

I completely agree that calm responses in this situation will serve the community much better than knee jerk reactions. That's why my open reply to Philip was as nice as it is. I'm somewhat confused at the permanent ban to be honest. It's ok for several others to post goodbye threads, but not me? I guess the real question is, what kind of community do you want to belong to? In just about every aspect of life when I've been given a "my way or the highway" ultimatum, I've always taken the highway.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
mr_palitoy
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
mr_palitoy

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:01 am

Have started a thread on RS regarding image/picture copyright. The little googling I did would suggest that the images at least are yours to do with as you like.

cheers Jason
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy
BruceW
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:38 am

What the fuck is Philip thinking? Every time he opens his mouth he makes himself look more like an asshole.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Phillip Wise needs to take a long good look in the mirror.
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Now "Big Barada" is asking why giving up ownership of your photos is such a big deal.... REALLY??

My reply to that would be that some things are not as common as the 2 different Baradas, and the user rights of the photos of genuinely rare items, as well, as photos of the inside of my home are important, as I may at some point want to use those photos for publication in either an online or print article or chapter. Even for more common items it's the principal, having someone else own a pic that I've taken is unacceptable. I'm willing to take the pics that I hosted on his server as a loss, but I will NOT be bullied into moving or removing my pics of my collection from my flickr acct, especially to appease his ego and misconceptions of entitlement over my or anyone elses photos. Sometimes you have to put your foot down, and this is one of those times from where I'm standing.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Yeah i think he's gone nuts now aswell. Really Philip, is that how you think people will respect you?

Anyway i think your perm. Ban is absurd and based on a crazy mindtwist Joe and you should definitly put your foot down now as they are your pictures, and if you don't want them on RS, to bad for him, but he cant put them up without your permission imo.

I think Philip just made TIG an more popular forum now.

Back to top Go down
KevinA
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
KevinA

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Joseph_Y wrote:
Now "Big Barada" is asking why giving up ownership of your photos is such a big deal.... REALLY??

My reply to that would be that some things are not as common as the 2 different Baradas, and the user rights of the photos of genuinely rare items, as well, as photos of the inside of my home are important, as I may at some point want to use those photos for publication in either an online or print article or chapter. Even for more common items it's the principal, having someone else own a pic that I've taken is unacceptable. I'm willing to take the pics that I hosted on his server as a loss, but I will NOT be bullied into moving or removing my pics of my collection from my flickr acct, especially to appease his ego and misconceptions of entitlement over my or anyone elses photos. Sometimes you have to put your foot down, and this is one of those times from where I'm standing.

Cheers
Joe

I was writing a response to him and stole your pics of your home thoughts Joe, sorry! I hadn't really thought of the invasion of privacy angle and it was too good of a point not to add in!
Back to top Go down
tapuvae
New User
New User
tapuvae

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 pm

New member here, another ship jumper from RS. Regardless of how well you know Joe the attitude of the site owner is very unappealing, talk about a poor atmosphere for communicating.
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Joseph_Y wrote:

my reply to that would be that some things are not as common as the 2 different Baradas, and the user rights of the photos of genuinely rare items, as well, as photos of the inside of my home are important, as I may at some point want to use those photos for publication in either an online or print article or chapter. Even for more common items it's the principal, having someone else own a pic that I've taken is unacceptable. I'm willing to take the pics that I hosted on his server as a loss, but I will NOT be bullied into moving or removing my pics of my collection from my flickr acct, especially to appease his ego and misconceptions of entitlement over my or anyone elses photos. Sometimes you have to put your foot down, and this is one of those times from where I'm standing.
Cheers
Joe

That was pretty much my reply to what someone had posted in your farewell thread, when you decided to remove your pictures. It is each person's prerogative
how/what/why they choose to share or limelight items from their collection. In this case, I think it's safe to say it was done on a level where it's considered to be
instructional. It's also an issue of each person's comfort level, on how the choose to share, and in what context.
My counterpoint was/is that it is also the prerogative of that person to edit/change or even remove the content as they see fit. It's YOUR collection .. there are no
rules .. if you don't want to show it, or share it, then so be it. If someone chooses to limelight every stray loose weapon they pick up, then again .. there are
no rules ... so be it.
To me, the issue has nothing to do with the pictures - that is a base matter. It is what is behind those pictures, the quality, the information, the content, and everything
else that they represent that it what truly bothers, and deeply insults me.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Joseph_Y wrote:

Cheers
Joe

Big Barada fails to recognize Joe's 'sweat equity' behind the chronicling of those photographs. Phillip derives proceeds from foot traffic, correct? Why should Phillip benefit from those who are visiting the site for Joe's pictures/research?

That's why there's an issue Big Barada. No such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited by Msz124 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm

I have just read what Phillip wrote About JoeY's final post, i cant believe What i Did read !!
What an assh.le is Phillip!!!he is becoming a dictador !!seriously, no words.
Joe , i am with You dude,i want to letting You know that i am gladd You be here Smile i am starting to Love the bootlegs figures looking at yours an others bootlegs collections!!
Please keep doing such a great work arround here!!
Best whises!!
Javi

Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Wow... Joe, I'm sorry brother. I feel like this sorta started with our deal over there.

Right after we were 'suspended' I wrote the admin/mods and said by treating members, even new members, this way... people would leave the board. You can't run a nazi-type board and ban people without warning or trying to explain to that person how to do things, or how things are done on a particular board (what their rules are). There should have been a 'warning' with our deal, but they felt they didn't have to. As a result, I will only visit the classified forum, or until I get banned for posting this. If that happens, I won't lose sleep over it.

Like I said, I ran a board with about 7,000 people that was around for almost 10-years. You can't treat people that way as a mod or admin. If you do? People will jump ship and find a friendly, more welcoming board (like TIG). I had people leave because they were angry with some of my mods. After 10-years, I got tired of it all and sold it off.

They will continue to lose members and only have 'new' members that just were googling for a Star Wars forum. Then shortly after, those new people will leave like everyone else after realizing how terrible they treat people there.

Anyway, sorry again man. It's BS and a joke really. Message boards are made up by POPULAR members and those members actually develop a following (I think like Joe has). You ban him, you lose hundreds, maybe thousands of members to another site.

BTW: I was a professional photographer for the Associated Press. You own the rights to ANY and ALL photos you have unless you sell them to a company or individual. You don't need a copy-write license, it's your property. They can't do whatever they please with it, again, unless you sell if. BTW2: I was married to an attorney. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 4:43 pm

I posted a reply to the long thread about images. People are clueless...

In fact (as I stated in that post) if Lucas Films, Harbro, etc., wanted to go after that board with a cease and desist letter, they could shut the site down completely for having images, video, etc from their property.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Just like sharing your pics on the forum is your choice, the choice to remove the pics and not share them is also your choice and not the owner of said forum. What it really comes down to is what kind of community you want to belong to, what kind of community do you want to contribute to, how do you want to be treated in life, how do you choose to treat others etc. As it is on RS now I think it's a one man dictatorship being enforced at the fullest. It's not a nice and pleasant atmosphere or place to be when the owner of the forum is acting like The Galactical Emperor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next