The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. Empty
PostSubject: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Any statements in this post are my own personal opinions and do not reflect the opinions of the TIG staff or forums in general

Now....anyone that's been over to RS today might have noticed Emperor Phil's post giving me a permanent ban, which is fine. I wouldn't have been as nice about my post (IE I would have laid into him and his method of running HIS forum had I known a permanent ban was coming just for saying goodbye to friends.), just remember Philip.... the more you tighten your grip, the more members will slip thru your fingers, other than that I would have liked to have had use of the classifieds (the only REAL reason for using his forums at this point IMO)
But in his high and mighty rant, he claims that he's going to restore the content that I deleted. I have all of my pics on Flickr, and they are copywritten w. NO permissions for use given. I would like to pursue this legally if he does in fact use ANY of my copy written images on his site, as it would be not only without my permission, but against my wishes.

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by Joseph_Y on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
KevinA
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
KevinA

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Wow, just read his last couple of posts.
I don't like that one bit. I will not be posting anymore photos on there.
What an ego....It's like he wants people to stop posting and leave.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Joseph_Y wrote:
....I have all of my pics on Flickr, and they are copywritten w. NO permissions for use given. I would like to pursue this legally if he does in fact use ANY of my copy written images on his site, as it would be not only without my permission, but against my wishes.

Cheers
Joe

WOW FUCK!!! I just saw that!!! I have now to think seriously about consequences on my own stuff! I have uploaded ALL my stuff on RS.....I personally would be fucked!!!!

Joe...if I were you I would just delete the pictures from flickr OR just rename them if that is possible! If you dont want to go that route maybe contact flickr: They can probably block RS from using them.

Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:53 pm

What a fucking asshole he turns out to be. He should from now on be refered to as Darth Wise. Because you posted on the forum, he doesn't own your material. It's yours to take with you if you decide to leave. I agree with you, Joe that if he does restore the content you should pursue his ass. Could you move your pics away from the Flickr account and make it harder for him to restore the content?

He seems to be a little coward as well as he doesn't have the guts to send you a pm about it. Instead he post a message no one can reply to. Fucking idiot.

Here is Darth Wise's post.

I thought I'd make sure members understand some basics about the forum, as it relates to management of it in general, but specifically because I've just banned JosephY again, this time permanently.

Members that post in the forum take content from it and give content to it. That content is part of the forum, and not something that gets to leave with a member if he chooses to no longer participate, or if he loses his membership privileges.

If members are unwilling to post under this kind of give and take agreement, then they should not post in the forum.

JosephY returned from a suspension and promptly removed content that was part of the history of the forum.

He also started a goodbye thread, something in general that does not serve the community positively, and isn't something I am willing to let stand in the forum.

These actions led me to believe he is no longer somebody that can be part of the forum, and that's why I banned him permanently.

I am also returning his removed content to the forum.

I'm aware he will be learning of this the same way others are, by reading this thread, as I wish to have no personal contact with someone so unhappy when I have so many people that feel yelling, screaming and acting out in the forum is not acceptable to interact with instead.
LINK: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1083060/
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:57 pm

BTW: From a lawyers site: these are YOUR pictures. At least here in europe (dont know american laws, but think they are equal) Mr Wise is fucked if he chooses to post them without you wanting them to be there!
Back to top Go down
Michael Ritter
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Michael Ritter

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Wow! Just saw that post and I am NOT a happy camper right now. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be bad and the bit about the content, wow. Joe I hope for the best in all this!

Mike
Back to top Go down
KevinA
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
KevinA

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm sure he has them archived somewhere so changing the Flickr address won't solve the problem.
I couldn't find Joe's limelight so maybe he has had a change of heart/came back to reality.

I just bumped my limelight topic with my feelings and asked that it be locked.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:06 pm

KevinA wrote:
I'm sure he has them archived somewhere so changing the Flickr address won't solve the problem.
I couldn't find Joe's limelight so maybe he has had a change of heart/came back to reality.

I just bumped my limelight topic with my feelings and asked that it be locked.

If he saves them and loads them up on his own its definatley THEFT!

If he just restores the old thread I tzhink this could be even legal. So Joe needs to rename/remove the pictures from flickr I guess.

Michael Ritter wrote:
Wow! Just saw that post and I am NOT a happy camper right now. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be bad and the bit about the content, wow. Joe I hope for the best in all this!

Mike

I pretty much like you joining Mike. Maybe try to hord up Mods and talk sense into this guy??? This isnt natural......he goes freaking nuts if you ask me!

Last edited by wbobafett on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 pm

What a wanker!

Last edited by cantina_patron on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:14 pm

I have removed all my pics of my MOC collection and updated them with a post saying the pics have been removed.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Reasons like this are part of why I moved to hosting my own images on my own server. I can pull them anytime I'd like in the event that something like this happens. Joe, if you hosted them on flickr, it should be just a matter of making a new album and moving the pics. The links would change and therefore break the images on the limelight.

I know everyone is in an uproar and I might get this deleted/edited from the current mods, but I also wanted to point out that TIG is not in any better shape than this. TIG is completely hosted/owned by a 3rd party that could pull the plug at anytime. There's no easy way to get the information out(create a backup) of TIG and onto another hosted solution. Everything posted to TIG is owned by forumotion.

Quote :
But for any reason, no individual backup or SQL dump, or database will be provided. Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided. However, the administrator of the forum has at his disposal, a tool which allows him to use these backups in order to restore his board, such as it was at a previous date.

Forumotion Terms of Service
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:43 pm

shawn_k wrote:
Reasons like this are part of why I moved to hosting my own images on my own server. I can pull them anytime I'd like in the event that something like this happens. Joe, if you hosted them on flickr, it should be just a matter of making a new album and moving the pics. The links would change and therefore break the images on the limelight.

I know everyone is in an uproar and I might get this deleted/edited from the current mods, but I also wanted to point out that TIG is not in any better shape than this. TIG is completely hosted/owned by a 3rd party that could pull the plug at anytime. There's no easy way to get the information out(create a backup) of TIG and onto another hosted solution. Everything posted to TIG is owned by forumotion.

Quote :
But for any reason, no individual backup or SQL dump, or database will be provided. Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided. However, the administrator of the forum has at his disposal, a tool which allows him to use these backups in order to restore his board, such as it was at a previous date.

Forumotion Terms of Service

Very good to know...hang on...need to make some backups Wink
Back to top Go down
mattias_rendahl
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Man, this sucks big time. I'm speachless.

To try to answer your question Joe. First I need to say I'm not a laywer at all, but I think I know how this works. This is just like on facebook and many many other social websites, if you upload the pics to FB or RS they "own" your pics, but that doesn't mean they can do whatever they want with them. Don't know about objects, but if the pics have persons in it they need an ok from the "model" to use it commercially etc etc, it's indeed a grey area and I doubt it would make a case in court. This is ONLY if you have signed up on those terms though and have uploaded them to their site using their photopost/hosting.

if you have posted links from another account (e.g Flickr, webshots etc) theres no chance they can use those pics. Picture copyright laws are pretty solid worldwide. If the links are re-created, just break the links or try to replace the pics with something impropiate. Then make a new album with the pics.

I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about, especially since most pics seem to be linked through Flickr.

I've rarely used the photopost option on forums, I've always try to use my own server or a site where I know I own the rights to my own pics.

Mattias

Back to top Go down
Bluestars
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bluestars

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I am not sure if its legal to keep your name on the boards if u ask to completely remove your ID. Is it legal that you musf not remove your name? you must not deleate your account?!? thats wrong!
If all your posts stay- can i bumb these daily?
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I never upload any of my pics to a 3rd party site. When I share an image, it's a direct link back to my site/server
so I can just delete or rename them if I feel necessary. This is also another reason for Bill's infamous "SITHTOYS"
watermark. (just a general FYI)

It takes a lot to genuinely get me angry, and I'm genuinely angry right now on so many levels that it's best I keep
further comments to myself.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Here's another gem from Lord Philip himself, aimed at Yzerman :

"To be frank, I'd just as soon delete accounts from people that post in this manner.

Not only do you not comprehend the need to change the forum platform, you don't comprehend the parameters for doing so, you don't know about interaction and you lose any credibility with this kind of ridiculous attitude.

You do it again, and I will remove your account. If you can't stand it, I'd suggest you just leave on your own.

And yes, that's no different than any interaction in the past, but more of it might be just the thing needed if we have more members like you. "

Joe

Last edited by Joseph_Y on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Yes, I got a message from Anthony P giving me a warning for insulting other members. I got a 1 point warning. Here is the message.

"Dear Yzerman,

You have received an infraction at Rebelscum.com Forums.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
Next time, before posting your thoughts or feelings, you should take a moment to analyze your opinion and verify if it's worthy of posting.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
Forum rules: A gentle reminder

PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD FORUM. This new design and interaction is pure crap. The team responsible for this new forum managed to f*** up everything. All the best,
Rebelscum.com Forums "
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:23 pm

sithtoys wrote:
It takes a lot to genuinely get me angry, and I'm genuinely angry right now on so many levels that it's best I keep
further comments to myself.

Bill

You are so polite ...comon.....let the HULK out!!! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Jaybird
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Jaybird

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Phil is making himself look like suck a Bitch. Don't back down from him joe.

It would be really funny if you could rename all your photos and then replace the old links with a photo of Phil with a Dildo in his face. lol! That guy is such a tool on a power kick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Yeah, I think this is a major mistake by Philip. Its unfair Joe AND to the many members at RS who have nothing to do with this - they will suffer from knowledgeable collectors making a mass exodus. Although many of those collectors may come here, I feel this sort of strife and poor treatment of others is ultimately going to be a big negative for us all.

He's a real ass-munch for taking it this far.

Last edited by turkdlit on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Taking off Admin hat. Putting on member hat

I'm seriously answering as a collector and member of RS and TIG only. I'm shocked to read that. It's a flat out threat to everyone to watch our step or we could be next. Doing anything under that mandate isn't a way I'd like to spend my free time doing what should be a very light hearted part of my day. Even with running TIG (along with ChrisB, AJ, Tim, Paul, Marco, Joe Y , Chris_J and Horacio) I like going to RS and checking it out. I think the vintage section is like seeing the star about to collapse on itself. Comments like Philip's can resonate far and wide, and for a very long time.

Putting on admin hat

I will only say that TIG is not built on that philosophy. We will always moderate when needed, ban when appropriate, but never forget that the site only flourishs as a result of the membership. There was a time we questioned the survival of TIG and being on the presipice gave us a good look into the Abyss. It was filled with the lack of understanding of the importance of the membership.

Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Oh Jesus! Shocked Talk about having your cake and eating it doh
WTF is Philip trying to do that place? Is he that fucken stupid that he can't see this is not the time to be fucking throwing around his Hitler attitude?
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Anyone that knows me,knows that I don't back down. No worries there true believers. lol!

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:18 pm

I think it's music time from a Swedish Eurotechno king. The title of the song is True believer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6QifTAbSw
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:17 pm

I was going for more of a Stan Lee Marvel reference...LOL

J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next