The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
jason11272stacey
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
jason11272stacey

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:18 pm

just got this picture off rs think it proves no such thing as a orange cape squid

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 15110
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 15210
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Nice Jason, I was just going to add the same pictures. There are some orange capes that are lighter than this one but it certainly shows brown can turn orange.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 am

I was always sure (and also stated that) that the ribbed orange is fake. Nice picture though!!!

Do not mix his up with the longcaped, not ribbed lightbrown (not orange) cape which is IMO real:
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 3_ROTJ18

Colors are a bit too strong on this picture.......
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for posting those pictures Jason, it's always good to see these items in the process of changing in order to conclusively prove their origins.

wbobafett wrote:

... the longcaped, not ribbed lightbrown (not orange) cape is IMO real:

I'm glad to hear that Wolff, as I have one in my collection which I have always accepted as genuine (not discoloured or dyed).

When this figure comes up on the FOTW thread, I think it may generate some interesting discussion. Very Happy

+ points on there way guys.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Interesting pic, Jase!

Pls, also check page 5 of this thread, where Squid Head is discussed too. Very Happy

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 IMG_5192
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 am

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 MOC_21B_R2-D2_Close
gold dome R2 Wink Razz
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 $(KGrHqZHJC!E9!Mc3HdgBPWEoChpGQ~~60_58
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 $(KGrHqVHJEoE917SHz7oBPd1+HFNvg~~60_12
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:51 am

Any ideas on this one, I also posted it in my other little thread. I'm a bit confused about it. Face is pink, hands pale. Area below head have not yellowed and is white, while chest are yellowed.
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 Lukefa10
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 1:06 pm

You posted the pics in the right thread, Claes! Very Happy

The pink on the hands and the neck degraded to white.

The torso yellowed.

The head is still pink, but we have seen many examples of head/limbs/torso showing different degrees of colour degradation. The pink pigment used for the head is moulded and not painted (like the hands, neck), so a different micro environment, which might explain the observed differences in degradation.

Just my 2 ct.
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Yeah it's yellowing for sure, paint have if faded, faded perfectly to the same white as the arms at the area below the head, but it suggests it's painted since it's not yellowed, even though I can't see it.
Hands are not same color but looks faded. I can not see any degradation on head, but of my 5 lukes none of them have that strong pink color on face. Odd boy for sure.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:02 am

Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but a few years ago I had a small head Han who's neck & hands had faded like the Luke. The neck had turned as white as the shirt & the hands just had a very subtle pink hue. I have occationally seen similarly faded Han's on eBay.

Last edited by cantina_patron on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:15 am

cantina_patron wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but a few years ago I had a small head Han who's neck & hands had faded like you the Luke. The neck had turned as white as the shirt & the hands just had a very subtle pink hue. I have occationally seen similarly faded Han's on eBay.

It's pretty interesting how it can turn out, this luke is probably the strangest I have had, this and the green r2d2.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 SDC12271
geek
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 am

The return of Disco Ree-Yees.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Hutthunter's biggest trofee. Laughing

Why did you post it in this thread?

It is a real variant, I saw it on ebay. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 3:49 pm

It's real dammit. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:45 pm

*Disco Disco huh huh

Cool is it valuable? I can recall having one or two. Razz

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Its worth about 1k in Zimbabwe dollars. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Chris_J wrote:
Its worth about 1k in Zimbabwe dollars. cheers

Cool as long as it's more then 2.7usd I'm happy Razz
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 am

I noticed today that the limbs of one of my Made in Hong Kong 4-LOMs are slightly reddish brown instead of light brown.

Normally you won't see that, but I had to remove the cape for a new thread.

My guess is that this is due to discolouration as well.

Made in Hong Kong 4-LOM: Reddish brown (left) and light brown (right) limbs.
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 IMG_6240

Made in Hong Kong 4-LOM: Reddish brown (left) and light brown (right) limbs.
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 IMG_6241

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Brown Purple Leia Endor: Very Happy

Taken from ebay.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 Dia1-32
Back to top Go down
Jetson
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Jetson

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:46 pm

[img]Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 Leia_n10[/img]

Thought this piece was pretty neat, perhaps it has already been posted, I don't have time to go through every single post in this thread, so here it is. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.saratogarenter.com
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Pretty neat indeed, and not posted before in this thread.

Thanks for sharing, Jetson! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 Img_2210

ITS A TOLTOYS! lol! Thats what happens to a figure thats been outside almost a year in the weather. Its speckled on both sides, the emblems went from red to orange to pink and now they are completely gone. The bends in the legs turned to a creame color (when you bend the legs out, you can see it from behind.) That is a showing that all speckled figures are NOT Toltoys.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Nice one, Chris! Very Happy

How does his front look like?

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Tried to get a good shot from the front, but they all turned out worse than the back. Very Happy Ill try and get another one today to post up for everybody. But he was laying like that since I posted shots last time, 2-3 months now? Give me about 45 min to get a good one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.  - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Discolored Figures But Were Afraid to Ask.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next