The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:42 am

jawa.57 wrote:
sorry i don't understand your expression of " 100 flowers"

It wasnt ment to you buddy...I was reacting on Marcos post above...sorry for confusing you!

100 flowers= 100) Thanks wollf for uploading a better picture! Razz

Last edited by wbobafett on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jawa.57
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
jawa.57

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 am

no problem
Wink
Back to top Go down
jawa.57
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
jawa.57

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 7:10 am

do you think there is an other COO of lando skiff ?
because i have a figure with :

- a differently sculpted left thumb (see pic below) yes
- a darker skin (face, hands) yes
- a darker matt brown instead of glossy light brown leather jacket yes
- creamier pants no
- glossy instead of matt brown boots yes

ledy on the rigth

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Dscf3611
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Dscf3612
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Dscf3613
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:01 am

No 100% NOT Ledy. MIM/LL leg markings are unique.
There are 2 variants with the same leg markings as yours (HK higher up on calf) One is darker than the other.
Back to top Go down
DarthStanley
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
DarthStanley

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:37 am

wbobafett wrote:
ahhhh...I dont wanna see a picture of Dans "Gun"....you??? Shocked What a Face :cool laugh:

lol! lol! lol!

How cool is that LL black Wampa,i've never seen one before until now! Cool
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 1:42 am

I had to read the complete thread again!!!!!...Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DarthStanley
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
DarthStanley

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:08 pm

DarthStanley wrote:

Just realised this was a wind up! lol! :I am stupid: :I am stupid: :I am stupid:
Back to top Go down
I am your Father
New User
New User
I am your Father

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Incredible thread!!! :cantina:
Back to top Go down
jason11272stacey
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
jason11272stacey

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

...what have I done?!!

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Slide1-2

:cool laugh: :cool laugh: rofl rofl ha ha marco look what you have started now you crazy guy doh doh rofl

for god sake don't let the blue ledy gam guard slip will you :silent: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhush :sealed:
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 am

DarthStanley wrote:
DarthStanley wrote:

Just realised this was a wind up! lol! :I am stupid: :I am stupid: :I am stupid:

Yeah, dude, MANY of us sucked it! :grr: :explosion:
Back to top Go down
http://swvintagevariants.blogspot.com/
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 4:55 am

Sorry about the black Wampa confusion. What a Face Very Happy

I have just updated the gun section of Cloud Car Pilot's entry with the information provided by Ozio and Wolff. Thanks guys. cheers

Let me know you like it please.

Cloud Car Pilot
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 5:56 am

Dr Dengar wrote:
Sorry about the black Wampa confusion. What a Face Very Happy

Cloud Car Pilot

Yeah, people who are New to Ledy figures - like me and quite a few others - know that this funny freaky fuck-tory made very strange
and unique (or sometimes not so unique) figures, so we tend to believe everything weird that comes up... But it's OK, we all learned from this lesson.

:scratch: & Stormie Smiley

I tried to buy some Ledys on Bay yesterday, but it really sucks, guys! 105 heck of a dollar for a fracking Rancor Keeper??? Madness!!!!!!

ANYONE, who has got here a LEDY T-F pilot, Cloud pilot or Rancor Keeper for sale, OR a Ree with dark brown boots, please PM me.

Thanks! lol! For a price a human being with common sense is ready to give for these pieces of plastic rubbish. Angry SW :grr: I am also interested in trade. NOT LEDY for LEDY. :cherry: Smile BUT rare or cool figures for a Ledy. I have 35 MOC figures in c8,5 - c10 condition. Most of them are C9. PM if interested.

OK, check out the Cloud weapons I WILL. Just for Mazochism. Laughing
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Tie Fighter Pilot

Here is a pic comparision of 2 Tie Fighter`s COO6A ( MADE IN --------- ) & COO6B (-------------------).

Helmet emblems are the same , but COO6B is missing the shoulder emblems ( probably erased by time, or probably they were not stamped , We will never know) , pls remember I have a LL carded AT-ST 100% factory sealed with out emblems stamped on the shoulders!

Also paint of boots and gloves from COO6B are dark grey like COO6C!!......crazy , isn`t??

This are not the best pics, but still can see the differences.

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Pic_0035

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Pic_0036

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Cool factory error: TIE Fighter Pilot w/o shoulder emblems. Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

The different shades of grey on the boots might be due to Ledy'd sloppy Quality Control.
I don't think there is a linkage between the COO version (6A, 6B, 6C) and the shade of grey used.
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

Cool factory error: TIE Fighter Pilot w/o shoulder emblems. Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

The different shades of grey on the boots might be due to Ledy'd sloppy Quality Control.
I don't think there is a linkage between the COO version (6A, 6B, 6C) and the shade of grey used.

My friend, You know my opinion in this matter ...... I think is crazy!!! ...LOL!!!....
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 3:08 am

Here's my Tie fighter Pilot's, note that the darker grey is COO 6A, when I get home tomorrow I'll double check that I've got them in the right order.

(LL) L.F.L. 1982 (RL) MADE IN HONG KONG
(LL) L.F.L. 1982 (RL) MADE IN HONG KONG (Position 2)
(LL) L.F.L. 1982 (RL) MADE IN HONG KONG (Smaller detail)
(LL) L.F.L. 1982 (RL) MADE IN CHINA raised bar
(LL) Remnant of Detail (RL) MADE IN, NO COO, Remnant of. (Mexico/Lili Ledy/ROTJ)
(LL) Remnant of Detail (RL) E IN, NO COO, Remnant of. (Mexico/Lili Ledy/ROTJ)
(LL) Remnant of Detail (RL) NO COO, Remnant of. (Mexico/Lili Ledy/ROTJ)
(LL) L.F.L. 1982, NO COO smoothed over
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 150911004-1
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 am

Hi Marco, great work with the hyperlinks cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:24 pm

merlin wrote:

Tie Fighter Pilot

Here is a pic comparision of 2 Tie Fighter`s COO6A ( MADE IN --------- ) & COO6B (-------------------).

Helmet emblems are the same , but COO6B is missing the shoulder emblems ( probably erased by time, or probably they were not stamped , We will never know) , pls remember I have a LL carded AT-ST 100% factory sealed with out emblems stamped on the shoulders!

Also paint of boots and gloves from COO6B are dark grey like COO6C!!......crazy , isn`t??

This are not the best pics, but still can see the differences.

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Pic_0035

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Pic_0036

Im pretty sure that:

1. the darkgrey boots and gloves are overpainted/touched up. I cann see the lightgrey underneath!

2. The emblems are just gone! Its the same phenomenon to the PBP Tie Pilots, or the trilogo Death Squad Commanders emblems! They can look mint...but the emblems are gone!

Just my two cents!

Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Im afraid to ask. But I really can't find to much confirmation. So I hope its ok, if I post here to ask the experts. If I am out of line, I am sorry. I think they may be ledy, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me out?

Top and bottomof Yodas Snake

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 am

Belt is fine : http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3287-ledy-yoda-belt-or-not?highlight=Ledy+Yoda
snake I'm not sure ( it's possible ), I'm hopeless with sabers Razz but that doesn't look like the correct version : http://www.imperialgunnery.com/thelightsabersection.htm
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:49 am

Joe, please feel free to ask any Ledy questions here. Very Happy

This thread might also be usefull though it hasn't provided conclusive answers for alle Yoda acessories yet.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1312-need-some-help-with-ll-yoda
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 am

Dr Dengar wrote:
Joe, please feel free to ask any Ledy questions here. Very Happy

This thread might also be usefull though it hasn't provided conclusive answers for alle Yoda acessories yet.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1312-need-some-help-with-ll-yoda

Great Yoda thread Marco, I've not seen that one before. My Tie pilot doesn't look as dark in hand either, maybe a slight case of the discolouration Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 pm

wbobafett wrote:

Im pretty sure that:

1. the darkgrey boots and gloves are overpainted/touched up. I cann see the lightgrey underneath!

2. The emblems are just gone! Its the same phenomenon to the PBP Tie Pilots, or the trilogo Death Squad Commanders emblems! They can look mint...but the emblems are gone!

Just my two cents!

I am not sure about the emblems completely disappearing... without ANY little residue. BUT I do agree with point 1: the boots are definitely repainted/touched up! The gloves maybe not, but the boots surely. Yep, on the right boot's tip we can clearly see the original pale grey coming out instead of black (in case of wear). That's the case.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 11:20 am

C-3PO Removable Limbs

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_21

COO guide for C-3PO Removable Limbs: No. 3 and 6 are shared by Lili Ledy and Kenner.
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C3po_r12

NOTE:

• Apart from COO no.6 (as indicated in the COO guide), also COO no. 3 exist for the Ledy RL C-3PO!! In the pictures below a comparison is made between a Ledy and Kenner figure sharing COO no. 3.

C-3PO Removable Limbs: Kenner (left), Lili Ledy (right)
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_22

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_23

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_24

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_25

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_26

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_27

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_28

DIFFERENCES:
The Ledy RL C-3PO is a very tough figure to distinguish from its Kenner counterpart. First of all there is no obvious difference in the used gold paint. Moreover the gold paint causes reflections which makes it very hard to uncover potential differences in the used moulds. After spending half hour with a magnifier glass (even counting the number of stripes in C-3PO’s eyes Very Happy) I gave up and concluded that any differences in the mould are too subtle to use as distinctive markers.
Luckily still some differences can be observed (thx for your help Ozio!! Very Happy), but you have to look at spots which you can not see from the outside.

Compared to its Kenner counterpart, the Ledy RL C-3PO has:
- Joints with exposed creamy white/grey instead of tanned tips (due to different pigments in the plastics used to cast the figure). Note: All my Kenner figures have joints with tanned tips, and only the Ledy figure has creamy white tips. However we have to keep in mind this difference might not be consistent as different batches of coloured plastic could have been used during production of the limbs in the factories.
- A longer left leg, causing a leaning "Pisa Tower" stance of the figure. Probably this is an artefact which was caused after the limb was released from the steel mould and cooled down too fast. So it might be unique for this specific Ledy figure. However many Ledy RL C-3PO figures suffer from a left leg which doesn't fit as well as the right leg. So it might be a general phenomenon for Ledy figures. Some input needed here!!

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_29
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_30
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_31
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_32
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_33

ACCESSORIES
The Ledy RL C-3PO came with a bag having a different mould (V3) compared to the Kenner bags (V1, V2). The Ledy bag differs in:
- The type of plastic used (soft and glossy black)
- Size of the three squares in the grid pattern (smaller squares compared to Kenner bags)
- Position of the central square in the middle row compared to its neigboring rectangulars (positioned asymmetrically): this is the easiest to distinguish trait
- Different folding

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_34
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_35
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_36
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 C-3po_37

LEDY VARIATIONS

• Paint Variations:

Any?

• COO Variations:

The Ledy RL C-3PO appears with different COOs.
- COO no. 3 (Hong Kong, see the pics above)
- COO no. 6 (no COO, carved, curved date stamp)

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:57 pm

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Nuevo-3

SUMMARY:
I was wondering why Lili Ledy used a set of unique steel moulds for some figures and used existing moulds for others. Below a possible explanation is given in terms of the amount of figures and weapons that had to be produced from each mould. Accordingly, in case the demand was high (MIM figures on Ledy and Kenner cards), new moulds were produced to guarantee a matching supply of figures w/o having to worry too much about off specs figures. This is because moulds are prone to weathering during their production life time. Older steel moulds will therefore produce figures with small imperfections after a while. So when you plan to make large numbers of figures, you better start with 'fresh' steel moulds. For the figures which were only produced for Lili Ledy cards (Mexican market), the demand was lower and the use of existing steel moulds was sufficient.

The same explanation might even be used to answer the question why the Ledy Squidhead came with two types of Bespin blasters.

I admit it is just a theory, it needs to be challenged to eventually come up with a better one.
So guys, your input will be appreciated very much here. Very Happy

A BIT MORE IN DETAIL:

Let’s start with this list of Ledy figures:
- Biker Scout
- Chief Chirpa
- Darth Vader
- Gammorean Guard
- Lando Skiff
- Logray
- Lumat
- Paploo
- Ree Yees
- Nien Nunb
- Squid Head
- Yoda

These figures came with unique COOs and sometimes other unique sculpt differences (for instance the short mask Biker Scout, Chief Chirpa’s amulet, Darth Vader head sculpt). So this is a strong indication that Lili Ledy used an unique set of steel moulds to produce the above mentioned set of figures. Question is why?
Maybe the clue lies in the fact that Lili Ledy needed to produce large number of these figures to serve both the Mexican and the US market where almost all of these figures (except Ben Kenobi) appeared on Kenner's Made in Mexico cards.

Made in Mexico (MIM) cards (pic made by Rog)
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 MadeInMexico

Steel moulds are prone to weathering during their production life time because of the high pressure and temperature during the injection molding process. Older steel moulds will therefore produce figures with small imperfections after a while. So when you plan to make large numbers of figures, you better start with 'fresh' steel moulds. So it seems logical that Ledy decided tu use new steel moulds instead of moulds from Asian production lines (which already had some degree of weathering).
BTW: Klaatu seems to be an exception. Though he was released on MIM cards, he has no unique COO, so apparently he was cast from an already used steel mould. Maybe we should have a closer look at this fellow, looking for small sculpt differences to be 100% sure he was not cast from a new steel mould.

Now let's turn to accessories for the above listed MIM figures. Nearly all are unique Ledy accessories, meaning they were cast from moulds that are different compared to their Kenner counterparts. Check it out:

- Biker Scout: unique gun mould, mostly with small “A”, “B”, "D"
- Chief Chirpa: unique staff having small “LL”
- Darth Vader: unique thicker saber
- Gammorean Guard: unique shorter axe
- Lando Skiff: unique thicker vibroblade, mostly with a small “A”, “B”
- Logray: unique hood mould (different number inside), unique staff and pouche both with small “LL”
- Lumat: figure and its accessories were only produced by Ledy, so all Ledy unique
- Paploo: same
- Ree Yees: unique gun mould with little “Y”, “S”, “W”
- Nien Nunb: unique gun mould with little “L”, “I”
- Squid Head: Unique belt mould with small "LL" on the inside. NO unique gun mould (come back to this later).
- Yoda: Unique snake mould, cane mould, belt mould.

Why was there a need to make new moulds for the weapons of the MIM figures? Maybe for the same reason as given for the figures themselves: A higher demand (Mexico and US) asked for better quality - read new - moulds. Though not every MIM figure was packed with Ledy accessories on a Kenner card, this explanation might still hold to some extent. In addition there might also be a higher demand because some of these weapons were packed with other figures on Ledy cards, meant for the Mexican market. For instance Jawa and TIE Fighter pilot came with Nien Nunb’s Ledy gun. The Emperor and Wicket came with Chief Chirpa's Ledy staff. Or Klaatu (2x) and Weeguay that came with Lando’s Ledy vibroblade.

The only exception seems to be Squid Head. Probably Lili Ledy didn't need a new mould here, as the company had already obtained a Kenner mould for the V1 Bespin gun (the same gun that came with Kenner's Squid). The mould was used to produce guns for many figures: Ledy's Squid Head (dark grey), Luke Bespin, Han Bespin, Lando (all blue) and Han Trenchcoat (black). Maybe the mould was therefore used too frequently, causing weathering and the typical rough surface texture.

4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 Slide10

V1: blue, rough surface (Lili Ledy)
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 BespinBlaster_V1_Blue_LLorKenner2[/color]

So this might be the reason that a second type of Bespin gun mould was used by Ledy after a while. Let us listen to a little conversation in the Ledy factory 30 years ago (translated in English):

- Manager: Why should we invest in a new steel mould for a Squid gun after obtaining this used steel mould from Asia?
- Quality Control: Maybe because the steel mould has already weathered a lot and now starts to produce guns with a rough surface? Oh why we have to produce so many of these Squids, and Hans, and Lukes, and Landos just from this one mould?!!!
- Manager: Oh YES you are right about the weathering, but I thought about this before and obtained another steel mould for this gun as well.
- Quality Control: But that is another mould, look this one produces a gun with a smaller and this one with a bigger trigger hole!!
- Manager: Just use the two different moulds, you idiot! Do you think anyone would care, now or in the future?!!
- Quality Control: I guess not, it would seem rather ridiculous.
- Manager: OK, OK, just carry on then. But hurry up, we probably have a lot of rework to do today. I heard that something is wrong with our Wampas. What a Face

Is that how we ended up wirth two different types of guns for the Ledy Squidhead? V1 and V5. :scratch:

V1: dark grey (Lili Ledy)
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 BespinBlaster_V1_Grey_LL

V5: dark grey (Lili Ledy)
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 BespinBlaster_V5_GreyDark

V1 gun (top), V5 gun (bottom). Both are Lili Ledy MOCs
4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 LLsquidgun-1

The figures which Lili Ledy produced exclusively for the Mexican home market (and maybe Spain?) were produced in smaller numbers. It is likely that used steel moulds from Asian production lines would be OK to produce these smaller numbers of figures because weathering might be a less important then. And indeed none of these figures have neither unique COOs nor sculpt differences. Unique traits for these Ledy figures are always based upon differences in paint applications (CCP with yellow boots, Wicket with grey eyes,….) and different accessories (thick Klaatu skirt, Bib Fortuna cape, Leia Endor poncho,…). Not only the figures but also the weapons seem to be produced from existing steel moulds, which makes sense off course. Because the same moulds were used, the Ledy weapons for these ‘home market’ figures can only be distinguished based upon subtle differences in the used plastic (colour, glossy or matt appearance). Think Ackbar’s staff, Boushh’s rifle, Bespin Leia’s gun, Chewie's bowcaster, Luke Jedi’s V1 gun, Madine’s staff, Nikto’s staff, Zuckuss’ gun,....

Probably these things have already been said somewhere else before, but maybe not, so I thought about sharing it with you guys.

I admit it is just a theory, it needs to be challenged to eventually come up with a better one.
So guys, your input will be appreciated very much here. Very Happy

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1   4 - THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1 - Page 23 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THE LILI LEDY GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD PART 1

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next