The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Original figures or not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DSCITCHR
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

Original figures or not? Empty
PostSubject: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 10:14 am

I have an old figure marked @ G.M.F.G.I. and below that 1978 and below that HONG KONG. All on one leg. It's a death Star Droid.
A second figure is a very clean, but missing some paint, Bubba Fett. It’s marked C.P.G. 1979 on one leg and Taiwan on the other leg.
Figure 3 is Leia in white. She is marked C.P.G. 1977 with HONG KONG below it on the same leg. She needs cleaning and is stand alone.
Figure 4 is Han Solo and he is marked exactly like Leia above.
Figure 5 in Gredo and I think the date is either 1978 or 1979 instead of 1977,
Figure 6 is Luke is marked @ @ G.M.F.G.I., below that 1977 and again HONG KONG and the telescoping light saber is there.
Figure 7 is a walrus man marked marked on a boot the same but the date is 1978.
Figure 8 is a Storm trooper that is in poor shape. Paint is poor. It has "oll" on the back. Then @ G.M.F.G.I. China and 1977 on one leg. (Is this a bootleg?)
There is a Chewbacca but I can’t find the markings on it.
Also a really ratty paper labeled R2-D2 marked 1977. Made in Hong Kong on the bottom.
These are all loose figures. Nothing in packages and weapons and other accessories are missing (at this point as my son is digging through his footlockers). What I’m wondering is, are any of these “first” figures? Loose like this, they aren’t worth much but it might be nice to make a little display especially as we aren’t through going through what we have and may find the rest of the dozen and are finding weapons.

Had I only for seen the future.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 10:23 am

I'm not sure what you mean by first figures? Yes they are vintage , generally you can not tell if the figure was carded on a Star Wars or a Return of the Jedi cardback. Some exceptions ie. the China Stormtrooper was a ROTJ card only. (no it is not a bootleg)

No markings Chewbacca sounds interesting, you'll be able to upload pictures in a few days.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 10:33 am

The COO guide might help. It's located in the Galleries section. Very Happy

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/gallery/Vintage-Star-Wars-COO-Guide/Vintage-Star-Wars-COO-Guide-cat_c43.htm
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 am

If you plan to keep and display them why not purchase the vintage action figure stand?
Back to top Go down
DSCITCHR
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Still finding my way around and thank you   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Am off to the guide and having loads of fun on this wonderful site. Can't thank you enough. I meant one of the twelve that first came out when I asked about "original figures" DarthB sent me pictures when I asked about double telescoping. Since some of these were marked 1977, I wondered if they could have been one of the first 12.

Thank you again.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 6:16 pm

The same moulds were used throughout the line. So just because the leg markings are 1977 doesn't always mean it was an early produced figure it could just as easily been moulded in 1984/5.
Back to top Go down
DSCITCHR
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: How then would you tell?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 11:50 pm

I know I bought these when the first movie came out. And that wasn't in '84 but I also know that things can sit on the shelf for awhile. So there really isn't anyway to tell without the cards?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 2:25 am

There are some signs to tell without the card but it is very complicated. But I can say without doubt a China Stormtrooper was not released until ROTJ.
Back to top Go down
DSCITCHR
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Thank you. Futher ?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 9:25 am

My figures, red and green carded ones, are all China but the black ones are all over the place. Only two China. The '83 carded ones are all black and from mostly Hong Kong. I have two from Macau. I've seen some from Mexico (I have a couple.) I also have one marked "Hong Kong or China" and several from Taiwan.

I have several cards without the figures, why I kept them I don't know, that only have 45 figures on the back but it appears I didn't start collection until '83. Still feeling my way around. The archives show pictures, but no comments. No explanations. Are the pictures just there to authenticate the figures or is there a pattern that would allow us the identify which ones were older. Since the little display we want to build is just for us, maybe we should just by the date on the figure?

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 9:33 am

Now you've got me confused? Red & green carded is considered modern around here. " Two from Macau " could really only be Logray & Gamorean Guard.
I've only ever seen a vintage cardback that says "made in Hong Kong or Taiwan as labelled herein" all others will either be Hong Kong, China, Spain, Mexico, Taiwan, Macau.

I kept many of my childhood cardbacks as well. Soon you can show us some pictures and we can be of more help working this all out.
Back to top Go down
DSCITCHR
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Logray exactly   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:16 pm

You're exactly right. It is Logray and the Guard from Macau. I'll double check the card but I think is just says Hong Kong or Taiwan not the other part and it is black. Its on a 4-lom figure. And yes the rest is more modern. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original figures or not?   Original figures or not? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original figures or not?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1