The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Giant sized original vintage figures!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Squad Leader
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Squad Leader

Giant sized original vintage figures! Empty
PostSubject: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Did anybody here get the upscaled Boba Fett or Stormtrooper of these when they came out?
i completely missed them but i see these are coming this year!
Ok, i know they're probably not everyone's cup of tea but i think they're pretty cool and will most certainly have to get that little bad ass Jawa he looks awesome! ok so its just a larger Jawa but the detail is superb and i reckon this is the closest were going to get to any new figures in the style of the originals. Anybody likely to get any of these or have any views?...

Forbidden planet in the uk have them listed http://forbiddenplanet.com/69886-star-wars-giant-retro-action-figure-jawa/ along with some other uk sites, i see this one in the states has better prices than what we will be getting, oh and check out the Jawa size comparison http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/product_p/80179.htm

Giant sized original vintage figures! 2215310.jpg.size-300_square-trueGiant sized original vintage figures! 2311050.jpg.size-300_square-trueGiant sized original vintage figures! 2311067.jpg.size-300_square-trueGiant sized original vintage figures! 2170602.jpg.size-300_square-trueGiant sized original vintage figures! 2170596.jpg.size-300_square-trueGiant sized original vintage figures! 2215303.jpg.size-300_square-trueGiant sized original vintage figures! 2224923.jpg.size-300_square-true
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:03 pm

I do think these are pretty cool. I'm waiting till the Walrusman and Hammerhead come out. The Jawa is pretty sweet too. But with my luck when they become available I'll have my cash tied up in vintage stuff. Decisions decisions.
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 pm

I love the Jawa and have one on hold. Gentle Giant should announce the VC version in the near future. I will probably reserve this as well. The Boba Fett and Stormtrooper were awesome and HUGE.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
doc_atomic
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
doc_atomic

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I think these are conceptually interesting, and they make for really fun display pieces. I'd even go so far as to say that they're meta enough to be pop art. However... I think I'd rather put the money towards vintage pieces. It's just more where my interests lie.

Don't get me wrong -- if I found a few on the street, I'd keep 'em. But as long as my funds are limited by, I dunno, reality, I've got to stay focused. LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://astoundingartifacts.blogspot.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Shawn had to hold me back from spending silly money on one of these recently, I came across the Vader and I just went - Shocked "GOTTA HAVE IT"

I agree they look awesome but they are just so expensive for what are essentially jumbo $10 figures.. I agree with Doc- save your money for vintage (but damn they are tempting)
Back to top Go down
doc_atomic
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
doc_atomic

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:19 pm

They kind of remind me of store window displays, you know?

Like, it's 1979. Christmas time rolls around and the stores are gearing up for their big holiday Star Wars push. So to attract customers, they order some giant figures from Kenner's marketing department and then set them up in the window. Kids see them, rush into the store, and grab all the SW figures off the racks.

(And one smart kid comes back right after the holidays, buys the giant displays, and sells them 30 years later for thousands of dollars! Smile )
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm

I had the Stormtrooper in my hand at Comic Con last year. Tempting but ultimately I passed. The plastic they used just didn't remind me at all of the white plastic on the original item. Ironically, I've sinced caved in and ordered a Sand People off of BBTS. From what I saw of it in July in person (it was behind glass) and what I've seen in pix, it seems like they got this one right. Much more so than others. I've got a few months to cancel it if I like but I have a feeling I'll stick it out.
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 pm

I think they're a really fun idea. A buddy of mine picked up the Stormtrooper and the Fett they had at CV and I have the Vader pre-ordered. Hoping that they'll re-issue the Fett on a Star Wars card. They had some Fett figures left over after CV and I tried to order one from the GG site but they sold out before I could nab one.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 pm

I totally dig these. I have the Fett and Stormtrooper, and I can't wait for my preorders for the others to come in. I was at CV, and wasn't able to nab a Fett, then a buddy on another forum let me know that the GG site had them, and I was able to get it. It was frustrating waiting in line to try and get one while I was there to no avail, then being able to just click a few times on my laptop at night and get one instead. It felt kind of backwards to me. Anyway I'm glad I got one.

Someone else here said that a VC Jawa was in the works. Has anyone confirmed this or heard any more about it?
Back to top Go down
Squad Leader
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Squad Leader

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 1:47 pm

DarthTad wrote:
I totally dig these. I have the Fett and Stormtrooper, and I can't wait for my preorders for the others to come in. I was at CV, and wasn't able to nab a Fett, then a buddy on another forum let me know that the GG site had them, and I was able to get it. It was frustrating waiting in line to try and get one while I was there to no avail, then being able to just click a few times on my laptop at night and get one instead. It felt kind of backwards to me. Anyway I'm glad I got one.

Someone else here said that a VC Jawa was in the works. Has anyone confirmed this or heard any more about it?

Cool! did you open them?

A vinyl Jawa you say! that could be the closest i will get to an original.
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:46 am

Here are some pics of the prototypes from ComicCon:

Giant sized original vintage figures! 4821260424_7b7874bcd1Giant sized original vintage figures! 4821261324_acbed39ed8Giant sized original vintage figures! 4821260970_07d8efe59a

I was kind of hoping they would include a cloth and a vinyl cape for the Jawa. Tempted by the Greedo too.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Was going to say that I Dont think I am going to bother with them, but seeing the Hammerhead and Greedo ones in them pics Its going to be hard not to buy them two, I feel as they do look the best.
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:17 pm

thanks dcarty for posting those pics... that's exactly as I saw them last july.

is it me or does it seem like gentle giant did a nice job on the monsters but roundly failed at the luke, leia, han figures? those 3 just don't look like kenner to me. they sadly took a wrong turn on chewbacca as well, giving him only 4 individual white teeth. as I see it, the original Kenner chewie has whole rows of white painted teeth on top/bottom jaws. such an easy detail to get right and they somehow saw fit to ignore it. poor chewie!
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Personally, I think Gentle Giant will announce the VC Jawa around San Diego Comic Con. I went ahead and joined the collector club, as it makes sense this will be an exclusive. I think production will be around 500 or so.
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 am

Squad Leader wrote:
DarthTad wrote:

Cool! did you open them?

A vinyl Jawa you say! that could be the closest i will get to an original.

No, I didn't open them. They look cool on the cards and the huge bubbles let you see them clearly. Surprised
Back to top Go down
doc_atomic
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
doc_atomic

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 am

I think they all look pretty nice -- again, definitely like window displays or something, especially seeing them arranged like that with the smaller figures.

Gotta say, I'm not thrilled with the idea of the VC Jawa being an exclusive, of that's truly the case... There's no reason they can't produce as many of the VCs as the cloth ones, they're just choosing not to to create artificial rarity. Means we can expect to see them double in price on the secondary scalper market, while people who really want them are left out in the cold. Bleh. (Not that I want one, I'm just making an observation.)
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:46 am

Plus you'll get scammers cutting down giant Ben capes. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 1:26 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Justin H
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 am

i like them, ordered a jawa to start with and like the ben, the hammerhead and greedo look wicked. Plus if they stick to 2500 each i reckon they will be sought after in a few years
Back to top Go down
Squad Leader
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Squad Leader

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 1:53 pm

dcarty wrote:
Here are some pics of the prototypes from ComicCon:

Giant sized original vintage figures! 4821260424_7b7874bcd1Giant sized original vintage figures! 4821261324_acbed39ed8Giant sized original vintage figures! 4821260970_07d8efe59a

I was kind of hoping they would include a cloth and a vinyl cape for the Jawa. Tempted by the Greedo too.

Thanks for posting the pics. Damn i had no idea Greedo was being made! Originally only wanted the Jawa as it was small and looked so cool but that Greedo is very tempting.
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 am

Got a newsletter email from Gentle Giant and it looks like they've added the Death Squad Commander to the vintage line-up!

"We are pleased to announce the following items for pre-order, These items will be available Fall 2011. Pre-Orders are open to Premier Guild Members for the first 2 weeks. We will open pre-orders to the general public on Monday, April 25th at 12 noon PST."

Giant sized original vintage figures! 80106-2
Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 2:34 pm

I finally caved in and decided to collect these after seeing the alien figures like Walrusman and Hammerhead. They are just too cool and will make a great display. As doc_atomic posted on the first page, these can almost pass for pop art to display in your home if you're a vintage nostalgia collector.

Has Gentle Giant indicated how far they plan to take this line? Are they just going to do the first 21, or might they continue beyond that with the entire vintage collection or at least a few more significant figures? I'd really like to have a Bespin Luke and Yakface.

Also, given that they produced both the big and small head versions of Han, and the vinyl cape Jawa seems to be coming, I'm wondering if they'll make the tall blue Snaggletooth too. I'm also surprised they didn't do a brown hair ANH Luke. I'd prefer to have that one instead of the blonde version that's coming.

Last edited by shabbyblue on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am

That's a question I would like to know the answer to as well! So far they've mastered all but R2 and 3PO of the original line-up (and I'll buy those if they make them). I'm guessing if they sell well then the sky is the limit.

Gimme R5-D4 too Smile
Back to top Go down
Squad Leader
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Squad Leader

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:18 pm

I reckon it will probably be a limited run with only the very early figures, then depending on sales maybe some specials now and then.

Thinking about it, wouldn't a Yak Face look pretty cool in 12" form Wink
Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Yeah, I seriously doubt GG would produce the entire vintage line. I just can't see many people buying a 12" scale Bespin Guard or Imperial Commander. But I definitely want Yakface, Bespin Luke, and maybe Jedi Luke.

I'm eager to see the rest of the first 21, especially Power Droid and R5-D4.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giant sized original vintage figures!   Giant sized original vintage figures! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Giant sized original vintage figures!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next