The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? Empty
PostSubject: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Taken from here:

psybertech wrote:
FWIW:
Links tested and confirmed in Chrome (v35) & Firefox (22 & 29). Internet Explorer 11.

HOWEVER - there is a bug in IE and Firefox that I have experienced regarding this.
The bug is this....
You click a link that jumps to a bookmark, the browser 'jumps' down to where the spot "currently" is but when the images fully render on screen, that position is no longer valid and the browser does not compensate for the images now displayed and it doesn't adjust the screen position.
You can work around this sometimes by making sure the page is full loaded before clicking on a link. But I don't fully believe it is a page load issue as much as a browser memory issue not displaying images until you scroll to them. Or a combo of the two.

So in a nutshell, the links work as designed. Your individual mileage may vary depending on the browser. Chrome seems to be the best at handling this (a a far superior browser IMHO).

Anyway..........................

Hey Jay,

I experience the exact same annoying issue with the LL or PBP thread. Once I click on a figure link on the first post, the browser brings me to the start of the respective figure entry but then quickly jumps to another position on the same page while loading the images. Afterwards the position is not corrected anymore.
I am sure it used to work correctly.

I use Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.131 m)

Anyone else has this experience?

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah, I have it too in those threads.

I can see when I click a link it sends me to where I want (you see it very fast), but then (in the case of the Ledy thread) I am waiting for photobucket to load images and once they load, I am moved to a new area which is higher up in page after the space is now filled up with the waiting images. The more images to load, the higher up you will be.

I am using Chrome 35 in my test on the Ledy page, but I think this is a two fold issue where some browsers will handle it better, but in the end, if there are so many images, or a wait to load a resource, this can and will happen unfortunately.

In the case of the Ledy guide, I sometimes have the issue and sometimes I do not. Today I do and I see that most of the photobucket images aren't loading (Marco is popular again!) so instead of waiting for an image, we are waiting for a lot of small errors from photobucket. This will not help.

In the Mould discussion, there aren't many images, I have a BLAZING fast internet connection, so everything works pretty well for me... well, at least in Chrome and FF.

Its the nature of the beast I think. Sad

Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:06 pm

I have the same problem. I've noticed it more in the POTB thread.

I use the most up to date Firefox for Mac. I haven't tried it in Safari or Chrome yet.
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:08 pm

No idea what I use, but here I my observations:

If I use a hyperlink on say the LL guide, it jumps instantly to the correct post, but the images have not loaded (which to me is normal, images take time to load sometimes depending on the file size I guess) either way when the images arrive this makes each post a lot bigger and therefore pushes the screen down/up and ultimatley leaves you looking at something else. I really don't see how this will change.

Example:

If it's on the same page and the page has had time to fully load up with all pics, then the jump will be perfect.

My mould thread for example, click on the 1st page and once it loads up any of the hyperlinks work fine, the second you add one on another page, it will go wrong, the link will instantly take you to the correctpost ut prior to the upload of any images which will shunt the post down.

That's my computor anyway, is this the way it is? I just accept I got the right page and then scroll down, but I am a caveman on this  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:09 pm

Just a side thought....

It also makes sense that links that jump to a new page (the bookmark is not on the same page you can scroll down too) will do this more since the new page has to load.

If the links point to the same page, such as the mould guide, it will be less likely to happen on single pages if you wait for that one page to load first.

EDIT:
Alex just said the same thing! Smile

But then you have computer speed, memory, browser issues, caches issues, etc, so even single pages can show this but again, less often.
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 9:22 am

My PC is a "machine" right now....you cant get faster then this...well nearly. And I have the same issue, so I do not think its a speed problem!

I guess Fiefox changed sth in time regarding this issue. I know it once worked very well (if pics were already in the cache). But nowadays even with reloading the page it simply doesnt work.

What helps is:

Clicking on the link
Page jumps to the right place...then pics load and you are somewhere lost on the page!
--> Then just enter the link above with your mouse and hit "enter" (not reload/refresh) manually....then it jumps right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?   Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who Else Has Issues Using The Hyperlinks Within Discussion Threads?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1