The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rancor, custom paint or legit?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Rancor, custom paint or legit? Empty
PostSubject: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 am

Hi,

I just got this through a trade but the way the teeth and eyes are painted kind of boggles me a bit. I never had this as a kid so I don't hold in memory how this should look. However all picture material I've found shows the Rancor with black eyes and white pupils. All picture material except this youtube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJLZNbdJns

The one I got is not painted very nicely but that happens from time to time with production painting as well (even the little air bubbles in the paint).

Was there a version painted like this or did I get a Rancor with custom paint application/ touch up?
Did these figures have a tendency to loose paint?

Thanks, Philip

Rancor, custom paint or legit? 12068885863_488e4f99e4_b
Rancor, custom paint or legit? 12069225636_f410120a57_b
Rancor, custom paint or legit? 12068883643_87c18de603_b
Rancor, custom paint or legit? 12069229246_e9cc4f0373_b
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 am

I am not sure, but it is possible the eyes just didn't have the black under paint applied.  Rolling Eyes 

Hopefully more people will be able to help.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 am

Sorry for not answering the question(s) ( I'm not sure) but can you check the armpits for the production markings please.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am

You can certainly get Rancors with white eyes, although I think the eyes of the ones I've seen had a better paint application.
I'm sure others will chime in.
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:24 am

Left armpit reads

© LUCASFILM LTD.
(LFL) 1984
G.M. U.K. LTD.

and I got it with a Trilogo box with a small 'Made in England' sticker attached.

Does anyone have pictures (or links to pictures) of Rancors with white eyes, so I can make a comparison myself?
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 am

The pictures aren't great, but here's a couple that sold on ebay.

Rancor, custom paint or legit? Kgrhqf10
Rancor, custom paint or legit? _12310
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Considering the whole "tri-logo" run was an effort in cutting costs it goes to reason they also reduced/simplified painting masks. The relatively small number of tri-logos sold makes them rather sought-after too.
Here's a cool site dedicated to tri-logo collecting:
http://trilogo.info/
Nice find, by the way. cheers 
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:50 am

I've checked up on ebay auctions and there does seem to be a few with white eyes out there. The one I've gotten a hold of does have some bad teeth(!). Most often when a figure is custom painted however it can be seen on the strokes and they kind of look okay on this one and if the teeth haven't been repainted there is no reason why the eyes should have been. Any additional picture material or information on white eyed Rancors would be greatly appreciated.

bedheadjulian wrote:

Here's a cool site dedicated to tri-logo collecting:  
http://trilogo.info/

That's an awesome site, thanks! Heard a lot of the tales but having actual dates and names of distributors etc is awesome.

aussiejames wrote:
Sorry for not answering the question(s) ( I'm not sure)  but can you check the armpits for the production markings  please.

Here are photo's of stamps and packaging for reference. It did not come sealed so unfortunately there is no 100% certainty that the figure matches the box.

"Fabrique au Mexique" can be vaguely registered underneath the MADE IN ENGLAND sticker. The box have a similar sticker on the opposing side, what's written underneath there I cannot read.

Rancor, custom paint or legit? 12153808466_745f9a4cff_b
Rancor, custom paint or legit? 12153386313_0d2689e134_bRancor, custom paint or legit? 12153139135_fd14a14e13_b
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rancor, custom paint or legit?   Rancor, custom paint or legit? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rancor, custom paint or legit?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1