The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 12:23 am

You can add pics to the figure of the week threads: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/f19-official-figure-of-the-week-section Smile 
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Awesome R5 Army there cheers 
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 3:17 pm

I've always wondered what the big head - small head difference is, could somebody show me whilst we're talked R5's?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Stefan - heres some comparison photos I took of the wide and narrow head variants - I think wide heads versions are stamped GMFGI 1977 Hong Kong and The Narrow Heads versions are GMFGI 1978 Made In Hong Kong . Their legs are sculpted different too - the "narrow head" versions have slightly shorter , wider legs ...

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 Dsc03110
How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 Dsc03111
How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 Dsc03112
How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 67472311

sorry my photo taking skills is not very good Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Cheers mate, I'll Check my collection.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 9:02 pm

now I am curious what would be a good price to pay for a R5 with an extra bar I go to a big toy show twice a year and see lots of R5's if I find some what would be say max price on them. Thanks
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

IMO $30 (mint)
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 2:37 am

Thanks AJ that's about what I was thinking it's always nice to get a second opinion though Smile
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Rare R5 variant. The COO says Hong Kong 1978

he is not that yellow. I took picture under a yellow light which made it worse than he really is. I tried to adjust to his real color as best as i could after...

I am not too sure about people saying he is not that rare. Not a lot of people here seem to have one for starters and if they do they only have one and i spotted one on ebay by pure luck after 2 years of checking and spot checking... I see a constant stream of blue snaggy on ebay and he is considered "rare" but this particular dude rarely comes up which leads me to believe that he should be considered rare and as other said they dont have him carded to place him in the production timeline which makes it harder to pinpoint a geographical or timeline source.

Regular version, like a gazillion of him but the extra bar.... well... rare... but thats my opinion...take it with a grain of salt. agree to disagree with me...

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 IMG_3854_zps7ba9ebf4
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

too funny, i went back to check my other r5's to see if there was a difference in the plastic and i noticed that one of my r5 had an r2 coo. ahahaha

i wanted to see if there was some difference in the plastic on this bad boy. I have seen some somewhat translucent body on the r2's i got so far and then some chalk white which indicates a plastic quality batch change along the road.

This r5 i have seem to be somewhat translucent and not chalk white. and from what i understand he appeared on cards from the 3 movies and the tri logo card which makes it harder to identify...
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 am

Wow..I learn something new everyday. I had no idea about this variation. Thanks guys!!!!
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I did not want to open a new thread for this but....

Holy Crap!

A fact i had never noticed in all my times watching the original movie.

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 PDVD_057_zpsc9021c49

Look who is the astromech with Porkins! Damn Jawas! they resold this droid to Porkins!

No wonder he never had a chance. R5 was not motivated!
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 pm

budspencer wrote:
I did not want to open a new thread for this but....
Holy Crap!

A fact i had never noticed in all my times watching the original movie.

Look who is the astromech with Porkins!  Damn Jawas! they resold this droid to Porkins!

No wonder he never had a chance. R5 was not motivated!

lol! 

could have been worse ...
How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 Thcaq510
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 am

No Bud, the R5 was nothing to do with Pokins bad luck Very Happy 

Still love the fact Biggs actually says "EJECT" seriously? Guess you gotta way up, what's worst, dying instantly in an explosion or dying horribly gasping for air in the vaccum of space?
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 am

Porkins R5 unit is called: R5-D8. So it is not ment to be R5-D4 but it is probably the same astromech that was used in the film!

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/page10.html
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 am

General Kahn wrote:
No Bud, the R5 was nothing to do with Pokins bad luck Very Happy 

Still love the fact Biggs actually says "EJECT" seriously? Guess you gotta way up, what's worst, dying instantly in an explosion or dying horribly gasping for air in the vaccum of space?

LOL, that was one of the best short fan films I've seen. Did you check behind the scenes?

Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 5:08 pm

wbobafett wrote:
Porkins R5 unit is called: R5-D8. So it is not ment to be R5-D4 but it is probably the same astromech that was used in the film!

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/page10.html

well the cousin of R5 was not as motivated as R5 was... poor porkins....
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Just wanted to link to the FOTW thread showing at least one origin of him, Smile

R5-D4 FOTW Thread

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Excellent work  :clap: 
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Good spot, Jay! Very Happy

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Nice one Jay  cheers Been looking for a picture of a carded example for ages mate  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 3:39 am

Hi,

Great to see a carded version of this variant finally. I was meaning to dig up this thread again as I managed to pick up a nice example recently for £9. It was the only one I'd seen in months against 100's of non-red bar versions. Was there ever any consensus as to the origins of this one, or any particular market it was offered in?

Cheers, Jared.

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 R5-red10
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I would like to add one of these someday to my collection as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?   How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Rare is the R5-D4 with the extra red bar?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2