The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Extra customs charges

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarthSwales
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
DarthSwales

Extra customs charges Empty
PostSubject: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 am

Highly recommend you stay away from user 'snakeriverdance'. I paid $88.00 for a Kenner Death Star Space Station set with $30.00+ postage and packaging. The item arrived in Britain after a month but I got a letter from Parcelforce saying I had to pay £23.49 for it to go through customs! So I messaged the bloke on eBay and he said "I pay too much money to afford extra customs charges" ....I was stunned.... Absolutely fuming! So I had to pay the charges in the end, but only for now, as I've opened a case on eBay to try and get my money back. I just couldn't believe it... He never even said anything about extra charges in the description but why should I have to pay two lots of postage anyway? Just because he can't afford it?! Why is he in the business then?!

I do have my Death Star now and I love it, but you know... I wish it hadn't cost so much damn money!

Never mind now, was down to my own ignorance. It's HMRC's fault!

Last edited by DarthSwales on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 am

ouch, sorry you got stung by the charges Sad Here's a previous thread about customs charges you might find interesting. Most times it seems random how they decide what has to go through a customs charge - I don't think it's really the sellers fault and often sellers will have a disclaimer on their page saying they're not responsible for charges. And if the seller marks the item down as a lower value and their package gets opened then they get busted. The UK customs business is a minefield unfortunately.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1855-i-guess-it-happens-to-the-best-of-us-god-dam-custom-charges?highlight=custom+charges
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 am

Why is this the seller's fault? It's your customs charges? If I shipped something to you I would have no idea what charges you would incur (let alone warn you about them) I've said it before- "I'm glad we don't have import tax here"
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

In Denmark we have import tax if the packet comes from outside EU. Just because EU is worried about loosing jobs in EU.

I just hate this stupid rule. I have contacted a danish member in EU about it. But I don't think they will change it.

But again who in EU would loose his job if I buy a Vintage piece of Star Wars in USA or Australia and not in a EU country :scratch:

Sorry mate, maybe I just don't understand what you are writing, but if I understand it correct then this is not the sellers fault. But EU.

But if you live in Uk and buy in USA you have to pay taxes if you buy for more than about $10 and that includes the cost for the mail. This is a EU rule, so you can thank EU for this head bang
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
bootyhunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
bootyhunter

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I got charged £25.00 on a loose figure!! doh
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 2:56 pm

aussiejames wrote:
Why is this the seller's fault? It's your customs charges? If I shipped something to you I would have no idea what charges you would incur (let alone warn you about them) I've said it before- "I'm glad we don't have import tax here"

James is correct, this has nothing to do with the seller. You got your item, and are happy with it. The seller did not impose the custom charge, rather your country did. If you don't like the charges, then you either have to a. only buy from with in the U.K., or b. find sellers that will mark the declared values for less than they really are. However, if you find someone willing to go for option b. then I would only expect them to refund you for the declared amount. There's a bit of risk involved, so you have to decide if you are willing to take that or not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
bootyhunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
bootyhunter

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Now I always ask the seller if they will mark the package as gift to avoid charges Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarthSwales
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
DarthSwales

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Never realised these charges even existed. I've been buying stuff from eBay for about eight or nine years now and never come across this... Thing is I've looked at the guy's feedback and people have said the same things that they were charged extra when the parcels came into the country, though he still hasn't made any sort of disclaimer or note in the description nor on his page about these charges? Maybe it isn't the guy's fault but I don't know why I'm expected to just know this? I've been buying from the US for years, never has this happened.

Thanks for the tip on marking it as a gift and/or marking it as a lower value. I'll be sure to ask sellers this in the future. *Sigh* at least I know now.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm

When I lived in England I bought quite a lot of stuff from the states and never got hit with a charge however I remember other collectors being charged who lived in London (which was quite close to me..)

I *think* a few years ago it was rather random as not everyone in England was charged and those that were charged seemed to get the slips frequently.

Now however it seems they charge everywhere and on anything.

The guys on SWF worked out how to claim some back - it's a bit long winded and involves letters + calls but fuck paying £100 extra on some toys - where does that extra money go? Is there a tax on displaying 30 year old toys in the UK because they attract dust that is bad for our health? Jeez!

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8373 - useful info thread.
Back to top Go down
DarthSwales
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
DarthSwales

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Joe_O wrote:
When I lived in England I bought quite a lot of stuff from the states and never got hit with a charge however I remember other collectors being charged who lived in London (which was quite close to me..)

I *think* a few years ago it was rather random as not everyone in England was charged and those that were charged seemed to get the slips frequently.

The guys on SWF worked out how to claim some back - it's a bit long winded and involves letters + calls but fuck paying £100 extra on some toys - where does that extra money go? Is there a tax on displaying 30 year old toys in the UK because they attract dust that is bad for our health? Jeez!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 6:17 pm

I want to apologize then, if you didn't know on the fees. I figure that most UK collectors know about them and usually do their best to try and avoid them.

However, I personally don't think it warrants bad feedback on the sellers part. How are they supposed to know all the fees for every country they ship to? and why should they be expected to pay them when you get hit with them? Quite a few U.S. sellers refuse to ship overseas as it is, because of the higher shipping costs for a trackable method that is required by ebay/paypal for seller protection. This would give them another reason not to and limit even further what is available on ebay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

Joe_O wrote:

In Denmark you do not need to pay tax when the product is 100 years old. The tax office told me this was a EU rule so this rule exist in all EU countries. But if you live and buy star wars in a EU country. Then you will never need to pay any tax for vintage star wars toy.

So if you live in UK and buy in Spain, Germany, France etc. etc. then no Tax, if you live in UK and buy in USA, Australia, Japan etc. etc. then if the tax office finds your packet interesting then you need to pay tax for the star wars toy.

I was also shocked the first time I got a letter from the post office about tax before I could get my packet head bang

The money goes to the government.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I get it I just think its retarded. Wink
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Joe_O wrote:
I get it I just think its retarded. Wink

I think it is insane and unfair, I hate EU for this law frustrated
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:49 pm

A dealer friend of mine regularly gets stung on customs charges on 'new' items entering the UK e.g. the latest Hasbro releases, which I can understand. But why should they apply to 'used' items?
I have also heard that requesting sellers to send items as a 'gift' can avoid additional customs charges, but I have never put this to the test.
Back to top Go down
DarthSwales
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
DarthSwales

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Edited my original post, thanks for the help guys. Maybe it's HMRC and the government's over the top taxes I should be directing my anger at. No
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:47 pm

aussiejames wrote:
I've said it before- "I'm glad we don't have import tax here"

Try bringing in anything over $1000 AJ. Then it kicks in & "we" have some of the heaviest taxes known to man!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 am

Tank1252 wrote:
aussiejames wrote:
I've said it before- "I'm glad we don't have import tax here"

Try bringing in anything over $1000 AJ. Then it kicks in & "we" have some of the heaviest taxes known to man!
If I imported anything worth over $1000 my wife would damage me far more than any tax man could Embarassed Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 am

Lol, i sorta guessed it wouldn't be applicable to you AJ, but it does kick in @ 15% plus costs.
Back to top Go down
shoenix
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
shoenix

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 am

The really worst thing is that taxes have been payed over these items at least once already. In the Netherlands it's even worse. The low limit is 22 euros (excluding shipping costs), gift limit is 44 euros (excluding shipping costs). And guess what ? If you exceed the limits you must pay tax over the declared package value INCLUDING shipping costs! This is double theft again since over the shipping costs taxes were payed by the sender already. That's why I am really carefull the shipper declares the correct value and they did not shaft me on shipping as I get screwed double (ehm, triple?) on this Sad

And even when I make sellers declare the actual selling value it goes wrong. I mean, you can underdeclare a DT luke or an original Vlix (customs will beleive that sold for 5$) but I have had a customs dispute because they did not beleive I payed 25$ for 8 POTF2 figures in package! I mean, it's in package so it must be worth a lot right! Smile

And I won't even start on the fact there have been cases when customs ripped figures out of packaging to have them tested for authenticity or when customs reported people who unknowingly bought reproduction crap and reported the recipients to manufacturers (like Disney) who in their turn fined them thousands of dollars for copyright enfringements....

Specific laws should be implemented for trading second-hand items, but governments don't care, it just puts money in the till. I even tried to protest once. The answer was : We cannot do any say on tax related items, you need to take that up with your political party's representatives. Yeah, that will happen ....
Back to top Go down
frunkstar
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
frunkstar

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 am

Sure I had already posted this yesterday but I guess I forgot to hit send, here is a thread I posted elsewhere as I keep getting shafted on import tax, should help guys Wink

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10123
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
A dealer friend of mine regularly gets stung on customs charges on 'new' items entering the UK e.g. the latest Hasbro releases, which I can understand. But why should they apply to 'used' items?
I have also heard that requesting sellers to send items as a 'gift' can avoid additional customs charges, but I have never put this to the test.

It works if you get the seller to write gift. But there is also a limit to how much value the gift may have before that gift also will be hit by a tax. Some times they take the gift packet and ask you to prove it is a gift and they want it confirmed from seller. There is also a gift rule about the gift can't be mailed from a company address, only from a privat address and also need to get it delivered to a private adress. Gifts can't be send to a company adress without tax.

This are the law here in Denmark and the tax office told me it was the same law in all the EU countries because it was a EU law.

I hate this law.
Back to top Go down
DarthSwales
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
DarthSwales

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 pm

'okcomputer1138' just randomly emailed me calling me an idiot because of the feedback I left on the other guy's page, regardless to the fact that eBay closed my case and denied my appeal. Seems like this nut has nothing else better to do than look through peoples feedback and target strangers on the internet.

The insolence is strong in this one. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extra customs charges   Extra customs charges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extra customs charges

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1