The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 am

Some years ago I sold off my modern collection and refocused on vintage and have never been happier. Very few modern pieces really interest me but the Jumbo Vintage figures certainly have a very strong appeal. So much so that I took advantage of the Case Fresh sale and picked up the Artoo and Threepio, plus the Vader and Ben to accompany him.

I too have been hoping to pick up a nice 12" Ledy R2 and have looked on and off over the years but have either missed out or had funds diverted elsewhere at the time. The GG version is damn awesome though and with Threepio they make a brilliant pair.

For me they also fit in with another collecting focus I have. I love the Micro line and have been fortunate enough to pick up a couple of Blue Harvest 4-Ups and custom 4-Ups and I really enjoy the scale comparison between the production figure and the 4-Ups. The Jumbo Vintage figures emulate this nicely and become a type of 4-Up display too which I find very appealing.

Thankfully GG really screwed up a number of these pieces so I don't at all feel compelled to complete the set. The ones I have were all done brilliantly and the only one I'm keen to purchase now is the Rocket Firing Fett, then I'm done. I think if they had done them without some of the faults and had them at half the price they would have sold like hot cakes. Hell, I reckon that if they produced the line in a 6" scale and solid injection molded the limbs they could sell a bucketload of them.
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 8:05 am

I agree on the solid injection molding! I was pretty disappointed to find out that the limbs on these are hollow.

I know there were some issues with Blue Snag not matching the original 100%, but I was unaware that there were problems with some of the others. Do you have more information on this?
Back to top Go down
Scott D
New User
New User
Scott D

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 1:42 pm

I was interested in getting the RocketFett until I read that the limbs were hollow. Like the 1990's Applause figures... No

Like Dax above, I sold/gave away 99+% of my modern stuff and am now focusing on the vintage.
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok, as far as problems with the line there are a number that have been well documented.

Scale is the first one and should not have even been an issue. Leia is almost the same height as Han, Chewbacca is not tall enough, Blue Snaggletooth is too large. Considering that all they had to do was apply a standard mathematical scaling to the vintage figures there is no reason for them to get this wrong. It's just bad quality control and it makes some of the figures look silly together.

Speaking of quality control: The Leia figure is cast in off-white plastic like a discoloured vintage figure. The cape is a nice bright white which makes the discolouration stand out even more. Why the figure is not a nice new bright white colour is beyond me.

The Tusken Raider has a horrible olive green tinge to his cape which again, against his sandy colour body becomes more obvious. If the cape was a good match this would be an awesome figure, but to me it's just an eyesore.

The Stormtrooper head looks wrong because the band across the forehead is painted too thin. Consequently he looks like he has a dome head but the scuplt itself is OK. With a better paint application this figure would have been spot on.

Now some of those complaints are rather nit-picky but if these things were $20 a pop I wouldn't even mention them. Consider these are roto-moulded hollow figures where all the design work has already been done the price is horrendous for what you get. While the packaging is a nifty idea I think it's a significant contributor to the cost because of the space it consumes when shipping items. I'd have been happy with something different if it meant a $10 saving per figure.

To give them their due, figures like Artoo and Threepio are simply perfect and I was very concerned that GG would get these wrong with the metalized finishes but they are amazing. It's just a shame that there is such an inconsistency although I'm not complaining too much as it means I don't feel compelled to purchase others that I don't really need and certainly don't have the space for!
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 am

DarthBerizing wrote:
Eric Taylor wrote:
I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul .....

Nice Billy Madison reference!!

BTW - I think if you own a POTF and Trilogo Imperial Dignitary you have completed that figures' focus LOL

As for these Jumbo figures, I'm hnoestly not the least bit interested. I'm even a little surprised TBH at the popularity among the vintage collectors. I'm not saying I'm right, I just look at collecting as 1977-1985 (late 80's for bootlegs) and that's it. Even though I never owned an Uzay as a kid, I still have the nostalgia factor for the era.

I will say I've seen a few and they are amazing. Just not down my alley.

Oh come on.. So if a Uzay Headman were on GG's list, you would not be interested?? Sure!!! Rolling Eyes

Personally, I love them, especially the Jawas..
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Got an email from GG this afternoon saying that the Rocket Firing Fett is getting ready to ship Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 pm

sith jawa wrote:
DarthBerizing wrote:
Eric Taylor wrote:
I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul .....

Nice Billy Madison reference!!

BTW - I think if you own a POTF and Trilogo Imperial Dignitary you have completed that figures' focus LOL

As for these Jumbo figures, I'm hnoestly not the least bit interested. I'm even a little surprised TBH at the popularity among the vintage collectors. I'm not saying I'm right, I just look at collecting as 1977-1985 (late 80's for bootlegs) and that's it. Even though I never owned an Uzay as a kid, I still have the nostalgia factor for the era.

I will say I've seen a few and they are amazing. Just not down my alley.

Oh come on.. So if a Uzay Headman were on GG's list, you would not be interested?? Sure!!! Rolling Eyes

Personally, I love them, especially the Jawas..

I promise you, I wouldn't be remotely interested. It really has no connection to me. I'm not taking anything from them mind you. They are well made, look gret, and really do justice to the original line. Just not my bag of wheatina.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
nohandluke
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Not for me either. The secondhand prices irritate me for sure and at the end of the day, they're merely pricey novelties. That said, maybe I would get one if they ever do the brown hair variants of the FB and Bespin Luke...
Back to top Go down
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Isn't the plastic used on these very flimsy and brittle? I read somewhere they were hollow as well?
Must admit they do look cool, and wouldn't mind having a stormie, but with the prices they command I'm staying away.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 pm

nohandluke wrote:
Not for me either. The secondhand prices irritate me for sure and at the end of the day, they're merely pricey novelties. That said, maybe I would get one if they ever do the brown hair variants of the FB and Bespin Luke...

What about the secondhand prices on vintage?? I find that irritating.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

What do I think?

Simply NO, they are wrong.
Back to top Go down
nohandluke
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

kisstour03 wrote:
nohandluke wrote:

What about the secondhand prices on vintage?? I find that irritating.

At least with that they are 33-years old and some are scarce, so I can mentally orient a bit better...
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

walkie wrote:
What do I think?

Simply NO, they are wrong.

Why "wrong".
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

COMING SOON: BOUNTY HUNTERS!!!!! Very Happy

Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 Gg-jumbo1

Source: Rebelscum
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Oh oh oh oh oh an Iggy will be in my collection for sure. Wheeeeee cheers
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 pm

I must have that Snowtrooper.
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 am

I REALLY want that Yoda :Drool:
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am

Dark Sith Lord wrote:
I REALLY want that Yoda :Drool:

There are even two versions for you, Liam: brown and orange snake. cheers

But no green snake version, that must be the proof that these were never factory made. Cool
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 am

Noooo

Thats not good news for my wallet lol!
Back to top Go down
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 4:27 am

I actually bought DV, then I immediately sold it again. Since my wallet thickness is limited I decided I will only focus on 3 3/4" vintage. That helps me convincing myself not to buy "new" stuff. Its quite hard as some items now are really superb!
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am

The new GG exclusive for 2013 members has just been announced, its the blue j-slot rocket firing boba fett proto, it will be released in the 4th quarter of this year..

It doesnt take my fancy at all, but it will be a nice new project for Mark Poon lol
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

Aussie Fortuna wrote:
The new GG exclusive for 2013 members has just been announced, its the blue j-slot rocket firing boba fett proto, it will be released in the 4th quarter of this year..

It doesnt take my fancy at all, but it will be a nice new project for Mark Poon lol

Don't give Poon any ideas. It would start a war over weather it was a bootleg or a fake.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 6:32 pm

This one is for you, Paul. Very Happy

Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 IG88Kenner01

Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 IG88Kenner02

Source: jeditemplearchives.com
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 pm

I want the original one soley because it is rare (ok, it's very cool too!), but after seeing this, I kinda want it too.

I do have Luke, Vader and Leia already and will have Fett and Yoda when they come out, but for some reason Iggy is calling me.

I am not sure if it is the rarity, it's cool looks or the life-size version someone made that made me like Iggy a bit more than I ever did before, but the new GG does look sweet. I wonder if it will be 12" or 15" though.

Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 8:15 pm

affraid affraid :buzzing: Be right back :run2: gotta go see when he comes out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.   Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vintage Kenner replica GG jumbo 12'' & Life size Action figures.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next