The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 1:51 am

Yes, unfortunately the DT saber was removed 10 or so years ago and replaced later with a translucent yellow DT saber from the Earth.
EDITED on 10/26/2012: The original DT blue production saber was separated 10 years ago and a proto yellow DT translucent saber was added. I bought the first shot Ben with the yellow saber included. Since then I have separated the yellow saber and Ben and have displayed them apart as they should be. Even though they are both prototypes, they did not come together! I someday would like to add a blue production DT saber to my first shot Ben to restore him to the way he was originally found.....
-Steve

Last edited by The_Dark_Artist on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 2:23 am

:scratch: They took it out and replaced it with the Yellow one? Who's idea was that?
IMO these are the sort of pieces you don't swap and change bits on.
Each to their own, I guess. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks Steve for the link! I am learning every day! study
Back to top Go down
Christian
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Christian

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 am

stevefdwyer wrote:
I would LOVE to reunite him with his original blue DT saber that was sadly sold separately 10 years ago (they should be together). If anyone can help me, please PM me. Thanks, -Steve

... I wonder if that was the DT which James G infamously shattered ('tis an'ol RS legend!) when removing from a figure one day...

Also, just out of interest sake the Mushroom Tipped DT Ben was being offered for sale approx 18 months ago IIRC asking price was $15k.

I currently own an EP Kenobi which goes very nicely with my ROTJ 65A proof Smile

Good luck with the first shot focus.

Regards,
Christian
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwacrylic.co.uk
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 1:50 pm

So with the help of some good friends I found this.
http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48378
I am still putting all the facts together, but this is my First Shot Ben that is seen in the pics... This confirms the cape he has now was the original.
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Christian wrote:

Also, just out of interest sake the Mushroom Tipped DT Ben was being offered for sale approx 18 months ago IIRC asking price was $15k.

I currently own an EP Kenobi which goes very nicely with my ROTJ 65A proof Smile

Good luck with the first shot focus.

Regards,
Christian

Curious minds wonder if that is the same one that sold for 13K, then resold when the buyer went broke two months later..

Steve,

Congrats on finding the missing link for your prototype Ben..
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Quote :
Curious minds wonder if that is the same one that sold for 13K, then resold when the buyer went broke two months later..

Smart buy, by the sound of it. :noooooo:
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Even if he if he took a loss, all things considering, these are one off pieces and were hand made by Kenner.
Looking at what a "common" Rocket Fett goes for, this was a bargain actually. I am disappointed to hear that it
was even sold in the first place, then changed hands so quickly.
I can also confirm that, beyond question, Steve's FS Ben is indeed that same as the original on from the find as the MT
Vader. The documentation on these dates back to 1993/94' and has been well covered in various magazines and sites since
then. You couldn't expect, or reasonably hope for better provenance on a high profile SW piece.
I can only congratulate Steve on a truly historic acquisition for his collection. How this slipped though the cracks might very
well be one of the biggest oversights in SW record keeping and documentation in recent history. As I said previously, no one is
required to check resources, or do the appropriate research, but in this case I think it's fairly obvious for the lack of a better
or more appropriate term - someone really fucked up

Bill
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you Bill. I really appreciate your help with a lot of the historical facts and crosschecking the FS Ben to your years of documentation.
Like Bill stated his MT DT Vader was sold together (as a pair) with my Ben back in that auction. Bill's help has been tremendous piecing this puzzle together. I was also helped by Jason West (thank you Jason) who put me in contact with James Gallo. James gave me the swca link that nearly made me fall out of my chair when I saw my Ben (next to Bill's Vader). That online article was written by Ron Salvatore.
This all started out for me to see if the cape was the original one from the beginning and if it was a prototype. But then the more I searched, and the more friends that helped me search, this turned into something extremely unexpected. I reached out to others in the community for help and I certainly got it : ) Again, I just want to say thank you.
-Steve

Original add supplied by Bill McBride (picturing his first shot MT DT Vader and my first shot DT Ben)

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 Mtvade10
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 pm

It's a quite an interesting little Easter egg hunt you've been on guys.
You wll have to get a copy of that add framed up Stevo to go with your Ben. Cool
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Another add for the Toy Shop auction back in 1998. I found this on Chris G's scrapbook and wanted to share. Besides Bill McBride's first shot MT DT Vader and my first shot DT Ben, you can see some other prototype figures that were auctioned off too. This is pretty crazy considering it is pre-Ebay and truly is a historical auction. Just thought I'd share : )
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 Origin10
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 6:03 am

Oh yes, that is one of three, maybe four first jawas with an unproduced cape. The cross hatching, texture and color is very different than the production version. The most interesting part of that figure are the legs, as they were placed on backwards. Ironically, the seller claimed that the figure matched early displays and the 1978 Action Figure Catalog. Unfortunately, he is incorrect. The one featured in those displays have the correct leg pairing ie straight..
Back to top Go down
mattias_rendahl
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 pm

sithtoys wrote:
Even if he if he took a loss, all things considering, these are one off pieces and were hand made by Kenner.
Looking at what a "common" Rocket Fett goes for, this was a bargain actually. I am disappointed to hear that it
was even sold in the first place, then changed hands so quickly.
I can also confirm that, beyond question, Steve's FS Ben is indeed that same as the original on from the find as the MT
Vader. The documentation on these dates back to 1993/94' and has been well covered in various magazines and sites since
then. You couldn't expect, or reasonably hope for better provenance on a high profile SW piece.
I can only congratulate Steve on a truly historic acquisition for his collection. How this slipped though the cracks might very
well be one of the biggest oversights in SW record keeping and documentation in recent history. As I said previously, no one is
required to check resources, or do the appropriate research, but in this case I think it's fairly obvious for the lack of a better
or more appropriate term - someone really fucked up

Bill
Like Bill say, incredible how this has slipped through the cracks over the years. My protomolded DT Luke (which we still need to talk about Bill Smile was considered a FS for many years and passed through the hands of many collectors. I discovered it was a protomold when I got it and that adds so much to the piece.

Big congrats to a great piece Steve!

mattias
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Thank you very much mattias. Yes, very unexpected and incredible chain of events that transpired with my first shot Ben.
I'd love to see your Luke. Can you possibly post pics of him when you have a moment : )
Thanks, -Steve
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Mattias, you have to forgive me. I have seen your collection of proto Lukes. It is incredible! If anyone here hasn't seen it, check it out http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1062715/
I love the hand painted first shot Luke with cool proto DT saber.... AWESOME!!!! And I also love the protomold Luke! Did the DT tree come from the 2004 Earth find? I love the hand colored photo copies of the blue print Kenner Luke designs that you have on display? My God, that is beautiful. I have been studying a lot of these original blue prints and yours is just stunning.
Again, whomever has never seen Mattias's Luke collection check out the link above.... And the rest of your collection is quite awesome also....
-Steve
Back to top Go down
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 am

Holy S... :I am stupid: what a collection! :clap:

Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Nice to see you posting here mattias
If you have some spare time it would be nice if you could post some pictures in the figure of the week threads Smile
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 pm

For those who do not frequent RS, here is one "sick" run..

First Twelve "First Shots"
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

Finally seeing the 2nd MT Vader is awesome !! I'm really happy to know Tom was finally able to track it down.
It came from a documented find back in 1993/94, and completely dropped off the radar until recently. Definitely
a cool set

Bill
Back to top Go down
dylbacca
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
dylbacca

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm glad you can verify it Bill. Out of respect for Chris, I was going to wait for him to limelight it first. it is a beautiful set.
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:45 pm

dylbacca wrote:
I'm glad you can verify it Bill. Out of respect for Chris, I was going to wait for him to limelight it first. it is a beautiful set.

I'm really not sure what the need for all the hush-hush/secrecy was really. I have documentation on the original find from the Earth, and follow up COAs
that mention have mentioned the 2nd MT Vader, since 1993/94. It was just a matter of tracking it down, and in a sense the whole process was sort of
maddening in a way. One find produces the two known examples - one vanishes off the radar, the other has more or less been in the limelight ever since.
From a collecting POV, those are about as extreme states as you can get. In effect it's always been a "known" piece, but just a tough one to track down
obviously considering how long it took to finally turn up.
There are some issues I'm seeing with the figure however, and the saber looks to be in poor condition, but those things aside, it is great to finally see it
surface after all these years Smile

Bill
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Here's my Engineering Pilot Leia I just received today. K28 is written under her feet and she comes from the 2004 Earth find.
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 Leia_e12
Back to top Go down
oceans11
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:23 pm

So it was brought to my attention that there aren't any Stormtroopers featured here. I know for a fact that there is Stormtrooper pre-production/prototype stuff out there as I've been collecting it for years. So without further delay... let's rectify some glaring absences from this thread.

Lets start with Proof Cards. SW 12 back (from the John Kellerman collection and featured in his book), ESB 21 back Secret Offer Figure. Might be easier to find than the carded figure, ESB31 back, ESB 45 back with display arena, ROTJ 65 back sample card (no proofs of this known to exist, only the sample card and I only know of 2 of these), and the more common Revenge Proof.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 Stormtrooper12backproofKellermancollection
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperESB21backproof
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperESB31backproof
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperESB45backproof
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperROTJ65backsamplecard
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperRevengeoftheJediproofcardjpg

So for figures, we also have a few that are out there. Kenner unpainted, non sonic welded first shot. (I don't know of any others that exist), No COO painted first shot, Engineering Pilot w/ number hand written on foot (two pics here). Also in this run is the Kenner Black and Yellow Stormtrooper from when they were looking at ways to expand the line with some figure repaints (this is the same one that was featured on the Collector's Archive and found in the same find that had the Leia with Blaster pack and Ree Yees with trinoculars).

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperFirstShotunpaintednonsonic
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperFirstShotpaintednoCOOjpg
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperEngineeringPilot
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperEngineeringPilotFoot
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 BlackandYellowStormtrooper

For some Top Toys Stormtrooper items we have the Top Toys Hard Copy, Top Toys Sample Carded, and the Top Toys Silicon Mold. These all came from right around the same period of time, back in the early 2000's with the Top Toys find that uncovered the presentation board, the Darth Vader sample card, Luke Jedi sample card, the Chief Chirpa sample card, and the Lando Calrissian Skiff Guard hard copy. Having it offered to me originally and then sold to another collector (even though I was under the impression the deal was done), it took me several years to track down and get the Hard Copy figure, and that was only made possible with help from pretty significant collectors. The mock up sample carded is essentially a paste up (of the Yoda cardback) glued to cardboard with the bubble glued on. The back is blank and has some writing on it but it hasn't been deciphered. There are staples at the top corners where it appears there was paper attached, most likely a sign off sheet. The figure appears to be production but the arm has discolored somewhat.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperTopToyHardCopy
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperTopToysCardedSampleMockUp
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperTopToysSiliconMold

Back to Kenner we have some 4 Ups from the micro line. These are unpainted dynacast. A couple from the Bespin Freeze set, one from the Death Star Escape, and one from the Death Star Compactor set.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperBespinFreeze4600154Up
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperBespinFreeze4600174Up
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperDeathStarEscape5830224Up
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperDeathStarCompactor5170204Up

And finally for the Stormtroopers we have the POTF coins. This is the original Sculpt, the Stage 1 Hardcopy, and the Soft Copy (or Rubber). These are the only ones that have surfaced and that are known to exist for the Stormtrooper coin. It's missing the Stage 2 Hardcopy and the dies, which have turned up for some of the other coins. So unless these other items turn up, this run is considered complete.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperPOTFCoinSculpt
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperPOTFCoinStage1Hardcopy
THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 StormtrooperPOTFCoinSoftcopyt

For some pre production items that aren't Stormtroopers, I have a few of those that I can hightlight.

Leia Hoth First Shot COO and peg holes. This is a first shot and features different shade of paint on the boots that was hand painted. It's not painted over the production paint and this was sold by a reputable Star Wars dealer from a find of items that belonged to a Kenner employee affiliated with the Sample Department.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 PrincessLeiaHothFirstShothandpaintedboots

Bagged First Shot Prune Face. It has COO but the green paint appears to be a slight shade different than production. The eyes on the production are orange while on the first shot they are yellow.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 PruneFacebaggedfirstshotyelloweyes

Klaatu POTF proof card. One sided printing with blank back. This was acquired directly from Tom Derby back in the Cloud City days, and a significant sale list that he had at the time.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 KlaatuPOTFproofcard

Ree Yees Mock Up on ESB Zuckuss card. To me it looks like the boots are a slightly different color than production. Otherwise it looks pretty similar. Not sure about COO but I'm not about to take it off the card to find out.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 ReeYeesMockUponESBZuckusscard

That's my contributions for this thread. If you have any Stormtrooper pre-production/prototype material, or proof cards, or bootlegs please let me know. I've been a Stormtrooper focus collector for many years now and am always on the lookout to add items to the collection.

Don
bringing Project Stormtrooper buttons to CVI.. come find me.

Back to top Go down
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 2:29 am

I am speechless Oceans11! Great stuff, thanks for contributing to my SW education :clap:

Alex
Back to top Go down
Christian
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Christian

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 am

Some absolutely beautiful pieces Don especially the 4 UPs - thanks for sharing!

I utterly adore this thread - long may it continue!

As we seem to be tracking down pieces from the 'Earth 2004' find - here's one:

Unpainted No COO FX-7 - glitterly plastic.

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 Fx7_firstshot

I also have one of the 19 translucent proto DT sabers.

Cheers,
Christian
who in homage to Don is undersigning his post and is still missing that 65C Sample Card!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwacrylic.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD    THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THE PRE-PRODUCTION / PROTOTYPES THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next