The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

If you still think U grading is ok - check this out

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

If you still think U grading is ok - check this out Empty
PostSubject: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:14 am

One of THE biggest U grade collectors / Dealers has just posted this up on RS - Before the dark times...Before the Empire

Mixture of amazement, shock , elation and also an odd sense of sadness that it took so long for him to realise the right path is not U grading, having said that Bill is actually a really nice guy and I am quite certain the majority of his U collection was really sourced from true beaters / cut cards and NOT the madness of already graded MOC or C7-C9 MOC figures that have been butchered.

I think its definitely a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:33 am

That's just made a good weekend a great one.
I'm gonna go smash my afa tombs right now in celebration.... cheers
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:34 am

I have to say a big congrats is in order. For someone like Bill to finally see the light after all this time is great news. Like you said, maybe this will help some of the others realize that U grading is the wrong path to take.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 9:01 am

WOW I’m at my parents for Sunday Dinner playing with my nephew and just thought I’d check in quickly and this RS thread blew me away.

Bill was a big name in the pro U Grade circuit so for him to turn around his views so dramatically is awesome to see and it reminded me of when our very own Craig posted about how he had seen the light and was leaving U Grading behind. Smile

I hope this story gets the coverage it deserves and ill try and comment on RS myself later today Smile

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:29 am

I can totally relate to Bill having personally rid myself of the U-grade shame.

The sense of pride I have in my collection now has never been stronger. I can feel that lead ballon float right off his shoulders.

Another one saved!

Thanks for sharing Joe! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:37 am

I knew there would still be some hostility on RS about the whole thing but to be honest (and I just posted there) I think even if Bill did contribute to the U grade bullshit he
still needs to be recognized for stopping (AND destroying the cases/grades) I mean, he could have just sold them, made his money back (or profit) and then go buy some nice loose
set.

If Rulair (and I believe he actually has said on the forums he won't be U grading any more - but it got kind of lost in another thread) AND Robbie (galactables) and the other
big players all followed suit and did a similar thing I would be quite happy forgiving and forgetting. What's done is done after all, we can't magic those figures back into the bubbles
but by destroying the case and grade sticker at least people can see just how worthless they are.

The only shame in all of this (and I can't see a way around it) is that AFA win regardless, the grading fee's were paid on all of those figures, so destroyed or sold its really no loss on
their part. No
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:46 am

Holy shit i just saw what this guy did.

Wow now that's a man on a mission.

Dan.
Back to top Go down
Plantman
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Plantman

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:51 am

I also think the U grade has runs its course, you cannot make a living off U grading now, afa U85 figures go for peanuts.

Thank fuck.

what a load of money wasted on that pathetic AFA generated money spinner
Back to top Go down
http://www.vintagetoybox.net
chazgreentooth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
chazgreentooth

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 12:25 pm

So, all is forgiven if you open your u graded figures? Isn't that a little silly? The most stupid thing I've heard in ages.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 12:41 pm

What's worse, a big player in U grading actually stopping and destroying the thing he was collecting (highlighting the fact that its a stupid thing to put money into - they are loose figures not gold nuggets) or let him continue to be a dealer of U grades and sell more/open more and continue to give people something to aspire to?

The thing I think is silly is for people to applaud the odd "sledge hammer in the face of AFA" post that pop up about someone breaking a figure out of its case but if a guy takes a sledge hammer to 400 of his own figures and explains why U grading is such a piece of shit scheme its suddenly no good.

Maybe I am wrong, I just think this thread puts out more of a message than someone who doesn't actually collect AFA figures breaking one open and saying "take that AFA!".
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 12:48 pm

I can't speak for everyone Chaz but...

In my case it wasn't a case of wanting to be forgiven. I'll never forgive myself for the rest of my days anyways - nevermind asking anyone else to! The same probally goes for Bill.

I am truely sorry for what I did regardless of my personal reasons for collecting U grades in the first place. The post I made back in 5th March was to show that: I had been listening to the online community; I had understood on what I was doing was servely wrong; and I wanted appologise and state formally that my U-grade collecting was to cease then and there.

In a similar way Bill has done the same. He has chosen (in his way) to broadcast this by smashing every AFA case open.

Not everyone is going to happy with him... but that doesn't matter he seen the errors of his ways and has changed for the better.
Back to top Go down
chazgreentooth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
chazgreentooth

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:16 pm

I see two wrongs to be honest, the u grading in the first place and the guy becoming an instant hero for seeing the light. Sorry guys, it's like a Gay bloke having the Christian straight therapy lmao.

It's nice to know that all those loose figures are safe though, they won't be... Oh wait? There loose already!

There is no right or wrong either, it's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Do you not think it sends some kind of message to the people starting out collecting U's Chaz? Like - DON'T!

What would you rather him do (I did ask earlier) have him continue as if nothing happened, or stop, blow them up and tell everyone its shit?

Once again - I personally am not trying to make him sound like a hero, I think the message to potential U sheep however is quite powerful and as such its gotta be a good thing surely?

People are going to be upset at what he did in the past but I doubt many of them publicly attacked him or sent him their views by PM on RS. Now hes stopped its easy to say "you were wrong to do that and you still are" but why not try to address the issue with those people before its over.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't think anyone is calling him a Hero Chaz.

Like I said already

Not everyone is going to happy with him (yourself in included - and that's your right)... But that doesn't matter; He has seen the errors of his ways and has changed for the better.

If everyone who still collects U grade can see this as an example and can follow suit, then why is it bad that this is being publicised?

I would say one more final comment:

My change in collecting ways is not a tempory evangelical brainwash, its change in my ways for good and the TIG should be proud of that.

That's it for me on this post

Have a good weekend all.

Last edited by Craig T on Sun May 16, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 4:09 pm

He hasn't destroyed the AFA cases of the U-graded figures he's selling though. But I think the guy should be recommended for doing what he did anyway.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 6:12 am

I understand the negativity about 'what's done is done smashing cases doesn't fix anything'. BUT I do think it's great that he is unlikely to bust open any more MOCs. He didn't have to post up pictures, but he chose to and hopefully more people will realise U grades are not needed.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 10:52 am

aussiejames wrote:
I understand the negativity about 'what's done is done smashing cases doesn't fix anything'. BUT I do think it's great that he is unlikely to bust open any more MOCs. He didn't have to post up pictures, but he chose to and hopefully more people will realise U grades are not needed.

I'm in agreement with you James. The damage is already done with what he did, but at least there will be no more from him. He at least shared his experience and maybe just maybe some of the other AFA collectors will stop and think about it now that one of their own have given up on U grading.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 6:53 pm

chazgreentooth wrote:
Sorry guys, it's like a Gay bloke having the Christian straight therapy lmao.

I personally would prefer to be part of a group that works together to provide collectors information and resources so they don’t have to rely on the AFA to prove items are authentic / genuine etc. I remember many collectors in favour of U Grades stating on RS about 18 months ago that they preferred the U Grade as it guarantees’ that the weapons and accessories’ are genuine it was partly this argument that prompted me to create the main TIG Repro and weapon reference site.

True Bill can’t go back on save all the items destroyed for the U Grade and he certainly shouldn't be cited as a hero (from what i can see no one has done that) but the fact remains his post can serve as a powerful message to those guys who still dabble in U Grade items.

I guess i must be part of the Christian Straight therapy then Wink which is cool with me as i enjoy the community side of the hobby as much collecting itself. At the end of the day working to support and educate people for example baggie collectors warning of rare baggies types so hopefully U Graders take a second to check things before sending them in (not ideal i know but the alternative is obviously worse) has got to be better than just bashing folk from the side lines.

Personally I am proud to see so many people switch from destructive collecting pursuits’ like the U Grade to a stance of preservation and if some of that is down to the work done on this site then for me all the hours put into it are worth it.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 6:49 pm

As I have said before ripping open any carded figure is stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you still think U grading is ok - check this out   If you still think U grading is ok - check this out I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you still think U grading is ok - check this out

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1