The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Price Guides?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:01 pm

The only one I have found is the "Warman's Star Wars: Field Guide" but it's dated to 2005.... 7 years old.

Are there any good sites or newer guides out there?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Not really. Price guides are outdated as soon as they are published. Your best guide is ebay. If there's something rarer you need a price guide on then ask here & someone will have an idea i reckon.
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks! I like the Warman's book, just wish they could come out with a 2012 edition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi mate.

There is the John Kelleman A Guide for Collectors which is outdated but still an awesome book and hihly recommended
Theire is also Stephane Faucourts Meccano to Trilogo Book - Awesome!
Gus and Duncans comprehensive guide to Star Wars Collectables
and Gus and Duncans Guide to Prototypes Smile

Last edited by Dark Sith Lord on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 6:51 pm

I was going to add Gus and Duncans book. Its more complete than any out there, but it still doesnt have everything in it. I got a few oddball items they dont have listed in it. But Tim is dead on. The day a price guide is made, its out dated already.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Dark Sith Lord wrote:

There is the John Kelleman A Guide for Collectors which is outdated but still an awesome book and hihly recommended
Theire is also Stephane Faucourts Meccano to Trilogo Book - Awesome!
Gus and Duncans comprehensive guide to Star Wars Collectables
and Gus and Duncans Guide to Prototypes Smile

I agree 100% - In a way, it might be better to think about these more in terms of references, instead of "price guides". Having a solid reference is
invaluable in this hobby, and you should always strive to learn more and educate yourself as much as possible. For me, that is really part of the fun
of what we do. None of these is going to be 100% complete, but I own all of these except one, and use them on a regular basis.

I also agree with using ebay as a more relevant pricing tool. It will not only show you prices (current and closed items). But it will show you the market,
(how many of item _____ is/are out there), the demand (how much is it selling for), so you have a more realistic expectation of what you can expect
to sell or buy something for.

Bill
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 2:23 pm

There was an interesting thread going not so long about keeping prices up in the TIG classifieds after items were sold -
as a way to help gauge price values.

Keeping Price Info In Old FS Threads
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 am

I use the Star Wars Super Collectors Wish Book Fifth Edition 2010 by Geoffrey T. Carlson to gauge the prices as well as ebay. I do find that ebay prices are sometimes inflated. I'm not sure if the Supper Collector's books are the best source as well. There also is a new edition out as well (2011).
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Commander Clint wrote:
I use the Star Wars Super Collectors Wish Book Fifth Edition 2010 by Geoffrey T. Carlson to gauge the prices as well as ebay. I do find that ebay prices are sometimes inflated. I'm not sure if the Supper Collector's books are the best source as well. There also is a new edition out as well (2011).

eBay prices may appear to be inflated for any number of reasons. If the completed listing is that far out of line, you can usually thank buyer's emotion and the thrill of the bid*. Price guides are nearly archaic by the time they're published.

I use eBay's completed listings to draw almost all of my pricing conclusions, *reading each description carefully is very important! The devil is in the details! Condition(subjective)/variation/COO/error make all the difference in price as you know.

I witnessed a DROIDS Cartoon R2D2 sell for $88 this week, two weeks prior the same figure/condition sold for $58 (Both appeared to be identical). When I'm trying to determine the value/price of a figure, I populate a spreadsheet and draw an average of multiple examples over the course of a month. If the item is that rare, I'll reference some of my TIG buddies. Truthfully, I haven't used a published price guide since the mid-late 90s.

Back to top Go down
BobbySharp
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
BobbySharp

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm

I think the best price guide is a mixture of eBay completed auctions and time in the hobby. Ebay auctions can give you a price, but not always the most representative or accurate one. So much depends on what prices are realized on Ebay that one really needs to watch the market for some time to get a solid idea of what certain items should command on the market.

Printed price guides are of limited (although not completely useless) use if your looking to estimate the value of your items. That being said, many of the guides are simply invaluable as reference materials. Gus and Duncan's guide cannot be understated as as near complete a listing of Star Wars merchandise as one could ask for. Is it 100% complete? No. But it's damn close. It's a monstrous book that I made sure had a place in my Star Wars collecting library. Here's what I have on my shelf...

Gus and Duncan's Comprehensive Guide to Star Wars Collectibles
Star Wars: From Concept to Screen to Collectible (not a price guide, but a fantastic story of SW and the merchandise...classic)
Gus and Duncan's Guide to Star Wars Prototypes
Sansweet's Action Figure Archive
Tomart's guides 1st and 2nd (hardcover) editions...

I still need to pick up the Meccano/Trilogo book and I've been looking for a Kellerman book for some time now. I was taking a collecting hiatus when these were published and didn't get a chance to order them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Price Guides? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Price Guides?   Price Guides? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Price Guides?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1