The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:38 am

But even for ROTJ charactor's why Prune face? i mean, why didnt they release say Imp Gunner first, a better, cooler charactor and figure before Prune face. when you think of some of the last 17 figures that were released there are some really cool figures, better than some ROTJ! If they released them first, maybe the SW toys would have lasted a little longer!
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:57 am

Good question Carl! Why releasing characters from ROTJ which had barely any screen time before, say Lando General, Imperial Gunner, Han Carbonite? Maybe Kenner thought that alien characters were very high demanding, and probably they were. So they gave priority to squeezing out as many aliens from ROTJ as possible in the shortes time.

BTW: Last 17, I wonder which market Kenner strategy supported the release of a figure like Imperial Dignitary. I can not imagine there were many kids appealed by this pale scary looking figure, at least I didn't when I was a kid, and still I don't like him. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:01 am

It is possible that kenner got pictures of the characters from lucas and took those they thought would be most popular among kids, but didn't really study the movies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:48 am

Rawlin wrote:
It is possible that kenner got pictures of the characters from lucas and took those they thought would be most popular among kids, but didn't really study the movies.

Good point!

That could also explain how Kenner ended up with figures which were pretty irrelevant to the movie.

A combination of the explainations given abobe might be very plausible IMO.
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 am

Dr Dengar wrote:

BTW: Last 17, I wonder which market Kenner strategy supported the release of a figure like Imperial Dignitary. I can not imagine there were many kids appealed by this pale scary looking figure, at least I didn't when I was a kid, and still I don't like him. Very Happy

I would add Anakin Skywalker to that list, figures with no accesories & bloody hell, they couldnt even hold a gun! Sad
Back to top Go down
bootyhunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
bootyhunter

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:28 am

As a child I would always opt for buying an alien or droid and only buying the humanoid characters when there was nothing else I hadn't got Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 am

What the... I just noticed I started this thread! I can't remember naming it that.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 am

Rawlin wrote:
What the... I just noticed I started this thread! I can't remember naming it that.

Probably some Jedi mind trick. Very Happy

Actually the current title represents the current discussion much better. What do you think ?
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:41 am

Kenner may have also had word that certain characters were going to have a bigger role then they finally did. That was the case with whats-his-name. See I can't even think of the name of the figures right now. Madine!! That's it. He's in the running for "Most Pointless Figure Ever"
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
Rawlin wrote:

Actually the current title represents the current discussion much better. What do you think ?

True, this have not really become the thread I thought it would be when I made it for fun, though I don't really know what the title means, I am not that good in english and have never heard the word denizens before.

I thought this thread was someone else thread making a similar topic Razz
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Amanaman was also a strange figure to make. I remember that character getting about 2 seconds of screen time. He was also a nightmare to get him to stand up straight. He was so heavy and round on his feet so he would always fall on his ass. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bootyhunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
bootyhunter

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 3:25 pm

kisstour03 wrote:
Kenner may have also had word that certain characters were going to have a bigger role then they finally did. That was the case with whats-his-name. See I can't even think of the name of the figures right now. Madine!! That's it. He's in the running for "Most Pointless Figure Ever"

Agreed it took me twenty years to buy that figure Sleep
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 3:37 pm

If comparing to MOTU where Mattel had no clue which of the characters where who except a few exceptions, they didn't make for example Sorceress one of the main characters that appear in almost every episode until the last year.

If then looking at blue snaggletooth, they probably had some hint of reference to the figure but then changed it when they found out how he looked. Kenner probably got pictures before the movies where fully screened also to be able to make the figures in time for the movie releases.

And they probably had at least some hints on who where important. General Madine probably looked important, I wonder why they never made the female leader, always forget her name Razz but that would have made 4 females at least.
Back to top Go down
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:23 am

kisstour03 wrote:

Hah! I agree with Paul as we've had this discussion many times - Madine = lamest, most boring figure ever, also the ugliest cardback and human character in his wool sweater, scruffy beard, and giant 70's style shirt collar. He looks more like a modern homeless dude than a SW character.

There is an obscure Rodian creeping around the doorway in Jabba's Palace during Luke's scene. Dressed almost identical to the late Greedo. I don't know how to do a screen capture or I would...
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 am

Sith Noob wrote:
kisstour03 wrote:

Hah! I agree with Paul as we've had this discussion many times - Madine = lamest, most boring figure ever, also the ugliest cardback and human character in his wool sweater, scruffy beard, and giant 70's style shirt collar. He looks more like a modern homeless dude than a SW character.

There is an obscure Rodian creeping around the doorway in Jabba's Palace during Luke's scene. Dressed almost identical to the late Greedo. I don't know how to do a screen capture or I would...

pause at desired spot
ctrl+alt+print screen
open ms paint
push ctrl+v
save and share
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 am

Dr Dengar wrote:
Rawlin wrote:

Yes the force is strong on this thread, Marco emperor2 lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 pm

LOL about the Madine comments in this thread.

I have to admit that Madine and I have some special connection. Very Happy. That's because, he was my first encounter with Return of the Jedi. It was back in 1983, when one day I walked with my parents into the toy department of a warehouse in Kleef (Germany), when I noticed a new Star wars card on the shelves. I was surprised to see this all new character and it was not until I saw the backside with all the new figures till I realized that a new movie had been released.

Actually I was kind of shocked seeing that whole bunch of bright coloured strange looking aliens, which all of a sudden had invaded on the 45 back I was so much used to. I was thinking something like "What have they done to Star Wars?!!! These figures look like they have come from a bad episode of Masters of the Universe." Most of all I could not appreciate that oversized green hulk guy, that later appeared to be Gam Guard.

First after being blown away by ROTJ in the cinema a few months later, I started to like the new ROTJ figures and especially the Jabba the Hutt creatures. Actually, Gam Guard and Klaatu were my first ROTJ figures to buy (thereby missing another highly desired figure, but that is another story).

Though Madine opened the doors to the ROTJ era for me, the figure never appealed to me so much as a kid. I bought my first loose Madine when I was 38, 27 years after we first met. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Sith Noob wrote:

Here you go....

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 LukeJediwithBeedointheback

His name is Beedo, a Rodian bounty hunter in the employ of Jabba the Hutt and a cousin of Greedo.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beedo
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm

wow doesn't Klaatu look crepy there. And thats where squidhead is, I like that character for some reason, I tend to like those with more accessories Razz

Last edited by Rawlin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Jabba's palace is so cool. It could be really cool if all characters in jabba's palace was maid as figures so we could use them to a big diorama Gam Guard
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
Sith Noob wrote:

Here you go....

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 LukeJediwithBeedointheback

His name is Beedo, a Rodian bounty hunter in the employ of Jabba the Hutt and a cousin of Greedo.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beedo

I knew someone on wookiepedia would come up with a back story for this guy. But "Beedo"?? Come on, how about a more original name, lol. Looks like to me they just completely reused the Greedo costume. Guess that thought it was too cool to only use for a few minutes before getting blasted by Han.

I think Greedo is best know for his death and his funeral that followed.

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 279px-GreedoFunerall
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Quality, I enjoyed reading this thread loads!

Quote :
would add Anakin Skywalker to that list, figures with no accesories & bloody hell, they couldnt even hold a gun!

Yeah, characters without weapons well sucked arse especially when they couldn't even hold them!

Love the madine slander as well, my Dad used to buy me and my brother figures, one day he came in with 2 new figures for us, I got Madine, while my brother got Jedi Luke, I felt like punching my Dad in his face!

Probably right about thinking he was gonna have a bigger role, they deleted loads of scenes with him, including his death, hopefully they'll pop it on the Blu-ray, so we can all watch him DIE!
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:10 pm

While I don't hate him, I still dislike the figure, even Imperial Dignitary might be slightly more "fun" and he can't even hold stuff.
I don't really get why they made figures that couldn't hold anything, Emperor could and he had those robe clothes.

Sucks with jedi luke lol, I remember when I got amanaman I never could understand that figure, and one day I accidentally stepped on it and the arm broke off. Turned out to be a rather expensive mistake in the later years.

I would like to see the scene where madine dies, is he in the cruiser that get disintegrated by the deathstar?

edit: misspelled hate for have lol made a difference.

Last edited by Rawlin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Quote :
I would like to see the scene where madine dies, is he in the cruiser that get disintegrated by the deathstar?
Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 Images10

Not quite dead, but not far off.
Can we also draw attention to the fact that General Madine's first name is Crix, not only is that not a name, it's not even a viable word.
Summary : General Madine you are shit!
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm almost reporting that image as adult content, it's so disturbing! what is he doing to make such an expression, he looks nuts. General Madine does sound better then crix madine for sure, no wonder they didn't write that on the cardbacks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?   Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yak Face And Other Jabba's Court Denizens: Why There Are So Many Of Them?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next