The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

99% of the time i wouldnt do this but

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  Empty
PostSubject: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 pm

this has to be shown .. affraid
has anyone seen this ? if this is legit it has to be the coolest production error ive ever seen to be honest . I love death star droids as they are within my favorite 5 figures list of all time but this just cant be real can it?
what does everyone think ? is it legit? if this were another time in our hobby I might to be inclined to think its legit but as endless scams and repros plague our hobby I am a bit skeptical to put it mildy . if this were proven to be a real error and 100% real im sure it would be worth quite a bit , I know id pay a ton for him as us death star droid fans really don't have many variants to collect .. anyways check him out :Drool: :Drool:
99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  Gold_d11
99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  Gold_d10
99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  Gold_d12
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 6:53 pm

Cant recall where I saw it but seems there was a carded error mixup involving c3po and feathered droid. Honestly don't remember if it was a c3po on a dsdroid card or a dsdroid on a c3po card, but the figure was plated for the opposite (so the figure was the wrong color). Seems this was around a year maybe year and a half ago and it sold for big bucks.

This figure however, I am leaning towards home job given the amount of varnish stuff on the leg. I mean I have seen some that appeared to have this lacquer/varnish on them in some spots, but there is just way to much on this guy to convince me he left the factory that way.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 pm

I've never seen anything like it.

I'm gonna' go the route of the custom.
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 7:42 am

I'm gonna go plausibly legit as it looks like the gold colour is underneath the paint rubbed eyes and shoulder pads. If you were going to make a custom, you surely would remove or paint over the rubbed off black. If the gold is underneath the factory black then it can only be an error.

It's hard to tell the black paint from reflection of the taker though.

Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 7:52 am

I didn't look to see what it ended at but last I saw this was in the $250 plus range. Pretty high for an oddity.

Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 am

it aint over yet Bryan .. its at 255 with 9 hours left
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 1:11 pm

The parts are vac metalized individually.  ( I have pulled torsos apart to prove this point)  So seven parts incorrectly 'coated' and magically joined together- near impossible.  A 'pre production' test piece ( it's not being sold as such) almost impossible as well....

The seller's super bright pictures can often be deceiving

Some time ago a heap of "Meccano" figures came to market that had a clear varnish applied. I think they had been made into a custom chess game or similar. I suspect this DSD has had a similar treatment resulting in this 'off' colour.
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 3:17 pm

it definitely looks off , the auctions at 455 now with about 3 hours left
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am

How'd it end?
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 5:41 pm

455$
Back to top Go down
luthersquire
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm curious as to how this ended up. Like some others, I looked at it and said custom, though I could also buy into discoloration.

FWIW, the seller is a long time RS'er with a pretty decent rep.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2017 8:05 pm

I know who the seller is. It should be noted there is no accusation that the seller created or customized this. I do think this was not a factory finish on the figure, but I have seen and even have a couple of death star droids that turned a little gold looking but never as deep as the color on this one. Even on the ones in hand it is a lacquer type coating over the silver plate that has discolored, however I also have never seen one with so much excess lacquer that it has pooled in all the sculpt details or looked onto the leg where the leg rested against something else like this case.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 99% of the time i wouldnt do this but    99% of the time i wouldnt do this but  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

99% of the time i wouldnt do this but

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1