The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Time for a new descriptor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

Time for a new descriptor? Empty
PostSubject: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 am

Hi,

Thought I'd start a new post for this one, I had a thought based on my reading through that new book by Mark Bellomo - The ultimate guide to star wars action figures.

He does a good job of making people aware of repro accessories and all of us here are aware of that ourselves. But the wider community is probably still coming up the curve. So to help filter out the bad stuff, and to get people explicitly thinking about what they are offering up perhaps a new acronym is overdue in this hobby?

Mark uses MLC in his book -- mint loose complete -- but to further clarify things I was thinking perhaps MLOC  is more appropriate: mint loose ORIGINAL complete. It would only be acceptable to use this term for figures that have vintage original accessories.

What do people think?
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 am

Nice idea, does that mean therefore that a repro weapon would be classed as a MLRC (r for repro instead of o for original) or perhaps MLI? (mint loose incomplete). What if for example it is a Cloud car pilot with original gun, but repro communicator? Or Lumat with original Hood but repro bow?

why not, when selling or limelighting, just post up a pic of the figure, the potential buyer/viewer can see that  the figure is loose and whether it is complete or not. Then simply state underneath the pic '100% original' or 'repro accessories'

for example (not actually for sale)

FS Light blue tri - logo Fett:
Time for a new descriptor? IMG_7665small_zps9c1c7773
100% original

works quite well Smile

Last edited by chris.75 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 am

I do like the book myself but as far as what we are talking about I agree with Chris the term MLI mint loose incomplete works best as he stated the figure may have some original accessories with repos filling in for the missing parts. Personally I would just like to see the item with only the original items and no repo stuff with it.
Back to top Go down
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 2:33 pm

As it stands, MLC in the current collecting landscape is next to useless because there are plenty of listings you see these days that are calling vintage figures "100% complete!", "complete", "complete with weapon" etc.

But when you read further it's only disclosed a few sentences in that the weapons are reproduction in various flavours of language. Without a qualifier, sellers could justifiably use MLC on their listing that includes a reproduction component. Instead, my proposal is to be proactive in starting the proliferation of a new term that can not in good conscience be used to describe anything but genuine vintage in every aspect.

MLI is a good idea, just tackling the issue from the other side. However, in my opinion it's a harder battle to ask people to label their gear in a way that obviously detracts from it.

Quote :
What if for example it is a Cloud car pilot with original gun, but repro communicator ... Or Lumat with original Hood but repro bow

This would be MLI, but also importantly could not be called MLOC. It could arguably be called MLC currently and people do.

Quote :
simply state underneath the pic '100% original'

In my opinion this isn't always enough and sometimes the context is not clear whether it applies to just the figure, or all the weapons too. Also, if the picture isn't good it doesn't let you know anything about the completeness. Using the phrase "repro accessories" does a good job of being clear though.
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:20 am

I agree the term 100% complete or MLC/MLI can be misleading, as it does not specify the authenticity of the accessories or even in some cases the figure itself. However the term 100% original can only mean that everything in the pic is genuine, both figure and accessories, otherwise it would not be 100%.

Its a good point you make about incomplete figures, or figures with a mix of both original and repro accessories, only ever being described as MLI or MLC at best, never MLOC. So therefore people scanning through hundreds of ebay listings can quickly search for the term MLOC, in the items description, and home in on those listings. It could potentially speed up the searching process for those that are specifically looking for figures, complete with their original accessories.

however, what if the figure is not mint, but complete with original accessories, and as you say, if the pic is not great, it would not necessarily show up as such. So would you then follow the term MLOC with a C-grading?
which can be subjective to the eye of the beholder.

Or perhaps NMLOC = Near Mint, Loose, Original, Complete? or BLOC = Beater, Loose, Original, Complete

Then of course there are all the different figure and accessory variants. A Ledy figure could be listed as MLOC but the accessories may only be Kenner originals, the same for PBP, Glasslite etc.... I just think that there are quite a few variables to take into account. A good, clear picture followed by the brief description 'original (insert variation type here) accessories' or 'repro accessories' works best IMO.

But there is definitely nothing wrong with using the term MLOC under the right circumstances  Smile
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 7:07 pm

In a perfect world we could have 'rules' like in the TIG classifieds-  NO REPRODUCTIONS ever.

I detest ebay listings- " complete vintage Star Wars " ( yeah complete with reproductions!!! Evil or Very Mad  )

edit: may need MLOCC- mint loose original complete & correct Suspect to stop non black endor & palace blasters with A-wing, Imp gunner, Lando general, poncho Luke.....
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 am

It's a well intentioned thought, but it's really a rabbit hole. Next thing you'll know it'll turn into:

MLCV2BV1LRGLP IG88

(Mint Loose Complete V1 Blaster, V1 Long Rifle Grey Flat Paint IG-88)

People just need to spend the extra 1 minute to spell out exactly what they have. It'll only help them in the long run.

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 1:43 pm

Quote :
may need MLOCC- mint loose original complete & correct Suspect to stop non black endor & palace blasters with A-wing, Imp gunner, Lando general, poncho Luke.....

I had to think about this for a moment, but then for me this really just came down to being an extension of "is it complete?" and my answer would be no because they don't have the black blasters. Similarly you might see for example Han Hoth being sold with a storm trooper blaster, or a lily Jawa with a Kenner blaser. In my view these are incomplete figures albeit a bonus if the weapons are original. So for purposes of fleshing out the idea, to me complete also implies correct.

Quote :
People just need to spend the extra 1 minute to spell out exactly what they have. It'll only help them in the long run

Perhaps that is the most we can hope for. Anyway, at least now if you see the occasional listing with MLOC you will know what it means! Smile
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Ouch ouch my head. Some of the acronyms make my brain itch. In a perfect world the idea stated above would be great. But the reality is you'll never get everyone in whatever hobby to use the same terminology for describing items. Mint, poor, MLC, MLOC, MOC, MOSC, MIB, MISB, repro, repop, recast and on and on. Luckily we all mostly know what it means.

And then you throw in the "so what" factor. Some people, and I know this is hard to believe, consider repros "original" simply because they are shaped like a vintage item. So to them using the label MLOC is accurate.

The best thing to do is ask questions and try to be as sure as you can before you buy.

How about MLCPCOWTTIGA. Mint, loose, complete, proper color, original, water tested & TIG approved.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Shocked

You missed some! Razz

MLCPCOWTDTFTBLTCTSTPTTIGA. Mint, loose, complete, proper color, original, water tested, drop tested, flex tested, back light tested, caliper tested, smell tested, photoshop tested & TIG approved - or simply 23X Wink

OR to make it easier...

MLCPCOWDFBLCSPTIGA. Mint, loose, complete, proper color, original; water, drop, flex, back light, caliper, smell & photoshop tested &&& TIG approved - or even more simply 18X Wink

lol!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 3:03 am

Quote :
Some people, and I know this is hard to believe, consider repros "original" simply because they are shaped like a vintage item

Then the emperor has already won ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new descriptor?   Time for a new descriptor? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for a new descriptor?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1