The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:32 am

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mwahahhaa, well tbh I had given up hope but I still enter and bobs your uncle! cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:48 am

The Dalek Thay is top Paul Smile

Im after the Black Dalek Sec from series 3 Smile

Im just sticking with Daleks i remember them scaring the shit out of me as a kid lol

I did enjoy the last series as well i must admit im not convinced with the new daleks though but ironside was a must have!!

MOC or Loose is something im thinking about i guess been a vintage SW MOC collector will mean ill probably keep them MOC i think.

Brad awesome to see you back bro Smile

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Just picked up the new Ironside Poster Smile

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dalek-10

Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:
Just picked up the new Ironside Poster Smile

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dalek-10

Nice Ironside poster Jay Cool What size is it?

dalek dalek dalek dalek dalek dalek dalek dalek
Cool emoticons too dalek

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:53 am

Its a MAXI Poster Paul ill try and get the size later tonight Smile

Heres 2 More Daleks i just managed to pick up Smile

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 New_da10

Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 8:26 am

Nice new additions, Jay. I'm looking forward to seeing group shots when you sort the display Cool

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Just picked up the Dalek Supreme (the boss)

Probably my favourite of the new Daleks the white gives it the retro feel imo

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dalek_10

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Did anybody watch the Dr Who Xmas Special that was on Xmas Day?

If you haven't seen it then i defo recommend it anything with a flying shark gets my vote Laughing

Seriously though i thought it was a cool take on the Christmas Carol theme.

I'm looking forward to the next series later this year.

Jay

Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm

This thread is just all kinds of dangerous to my wallet--lol! I have a lot of the Dapol figures and sets that I bought back when they were new. I've been admiring the Character Options toys for years now constantly battling the urge to start down that path. My resolve disappeared completely when I saw the Hartnell Tardis set then I bought the Tom Baker Tardis set which I keep on my desk at work.

Very tempted to get the 11 Doctor box set. And I love the Cybermen so I'd like to have a set of those (Moonbase version and Earthshock are my favorites). If I have Cybermen then I'll of course need some Daleks. Then there are the regeneration versions of the Doctor and...crud :I am stupid:
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:

If you haven't seen it then i defo recommend it anything with a flying shark gets my vote Laughing

Jay

Meant to mention that I finally watched the Christmas Special the other night and loved it! The concept and execution of the fish alone is one of the most inventive and amazing things I've seen probably in years and the story was one of the best they've done. It was a very clever twist on the Dickens story, it was emotionally satisfying--nice tear-jerker ending, explored interesting concepts in an interesting way, it was funny, it had wonderful guest stars. (Though they did manage to conveniently ignore the Blinovitch Limitation Effect) It's almost shocking anymore when a Science Fiction show actually contains science and not just fiction.

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 4:45 pm

dcarty wrote:
jaymassive619 wrote:

Jay

Meant to mention that I finally watched the Christmas Special the other night and loved it! The concept and execution of the fish alone is one of the most inventive and amazing things I've seen probably in years and the story was one of the best they've done. It was a very clever twist on the Dickens story, it was emotionally satisfying--nice tear-jerker ending, explored interesting concepts in an interesting way, it was funny, it had wonderful guest stars. (Though they did manage to conveniently ignore the Blinovitch Limitation Effect) It's almost shocking anymore when a Science Fiction show actually contains science and not just fiction.

Cheers,

Dave

I agree with you 100% Dave!

You should add some pictures of the Dalpol Daleks (equivalent to vintage for those wondering) to this thread do you have them MOC or Loose!!

Whats your take on Matt Smith? For me personally i think hes great and his first series totally got me back into Dr Who.

Jay

Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ctscanman68

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Hey guys,

Just getting caught up on my Doctor Who fix. Great stuff.

Dave, it's good to see another fan on here and an American one at that! cheers I can't believe I missed the Christmas special. I haven't been watching much BBC America lately. I assume that's where you watch or do you have a better source?

Jay, you've added some cool stuff since I last posted. That WWII era poster is really killer and even inspired an avatar change!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Brad
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 pm

I love that avatar Brad! Very cool Cool

I tend to get the current series through file sharing sites as HD off-air captures so I can watch them whenever (I have two kids so I don't have a lot of "me" time) then buy them on DVD once they're released.

Jay--I love Matt Smith as the Doctor. When they announced him I thought he looked like a disaster waiting to happen but I am more than happy to dine on that opinion. The trailer for the series looked terrible, I wasn't keen on the costume, and Mr Smith is shall we say an "interesting" looking chap (my first impression was that he fell out of the ugly tree and hit every other branch on the way down). It irritated me that they keep going with younger and younger actors in the part--really, what's wrong with a middle aged man in a frock coat?? Especially after going from a young-ish forty-ish actor to an actor in his mid-thirties and now they were hiring a twenty-something. After watching his first series I can totally see why they cast him and how he would have blown them away in his audition.

Christopher Eccleston is probably my favorite of the "new" guys. I like David Tennant but frankly I've only seen his first series, parts of his second, and the specials he did for his last series. My opinion of Tennant is jaded a bit by my opinion of the writing during his time. We have to thank Russell T Davies for getting the series off the ground again but I find the episodes he writes to be hugely frustrating. He'll come up with a great idea which then invariably self destructs at some point leaving me wondering "uhhhh, why the splink did that just happen??". Tennant's time seems to have been marked by some of the highest and lowest points in the shows history.

The one real criticism I have of the new series (apart from Russell T Davies writing) is the break-neck speed at which they rip through each story as they desperately cram as much as they can in before the clock runs out. It's like the Doctor burst out of the door, told Rose to run for her life, and the show hasn't stopped running.

The stories are certainly exciting but the plots aren't aloud to breathe or really develop the way they did with the cliff-hanger format. I was watching the Pertwee Silurians episode a few months ago and marveled that the Doctor spent the better part of a 25 minute episode in a laboratory running tests--finding the solution in a deliberate, scientific manner. I can't imagine one of the new Doctors being allowed to stand still for more than 30 seconds let alone spend more than 10 seconds coming up with a solution to whatever it is they're fighting then throwing it against the wall to see if it will stick. You'd think they could find a decent balance but it probably has as much to do with the way shows are produced these days as the audience they are playing to.

The other thing they seemed determined to do in almost every episode which drives me up the wall is to have the Doctor stop at some point and deliver a soliloquy to the bad guy about how he has fought every bad-guy ever known anywhere and ground them into the dirt and as bad guys go you're not so much so you better watch out because I'M THE DOCTOR.

Well, we know the Doctor is awesome because he's the protagonist and his actions should demonstrate this on a weekly basis. We don't need to be told he's awesome by anyone least of all by the Doctor himself--that's just lame. Can you imagine James Bond or Sherlock Holmes walking around saying to everyone in all seriousness "aren't I amazing"? The producers/writers must have noticed this at some point themselves because there was that terrifically funny moment when they had Matt Smith make "the speech" in one episode and then had it backfire on him.

Criticism aside I'm so glad to have the show back on the air and very happy that it has been so successful. Eccleston, Tennant and Smith have all been outstanding Doctors. I keep hoping they'll get Nicholas Courtney on for a cameo.

I don't know if any of you guys have heard the Big Finish audio adventures but I strongly urge anyone who hasn't to give them a listen. Like the TV show there are good stories and sucky stories and a few outstanding ones but the batting average of good to bad seems a little higher than on TV. They also allow us old timers to enjoy new material with old friends. They've really captured the "vibe" of the classic show and, in my opinion, the writing is just as good--sometimes better--than on the new series. And like all good audio drama the settings and concepts are not constrained by the visuals.

Man, do I have a tendency to blather. Anyway that's my 2 Grotzits for the moment.

Dave

Oh, Here's my Dapol stuff with a few extras alongside that were in the same box. I had one loose Dalek that unfortunately got partially eaten by our puppy a few years ago. I still have the parts that I plan to restore at some point. The larger sonic screwdriver is the toy from the 80's that I painted up and the metal one I got from a guy in the UK called Russrep. Then I have a box of the first series of trading cards from 1990ish-- I have loads of duplicates if anybody is trying to complete a collection!

I have some more Who stuff that isn't action figure related (Earthshock Cyberman Helmet, series 14 scarf, I also have a leather coat like Eccleston's) and I absolutely envy anyone who has a life sized Dalek.

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Th_DCDapol_02sThe Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Th_DCDapol_01s
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 7:39 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:

Jay

They actually showed it on Christmas Day in US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BBC America finally got the hint and dont need to wait forever to watch. I think we start the season only 2 weeks behind the UK schedule.

I like Matt Smith as the Doctor. I still think David Tennant will go down as the best Doctor but Matt Smith is really likeable and that juvenile mixed with genius thing works well for him. It's great to see the show on my TV vs PC.

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 8:26 am

Finally caught up with all the Matt Smith episodes and have to say what a great Dr he is. He definitely brings his own unique brand to the character with a little nod to the past as well. A great follow-up to the Tennant Who. I think I have to agree with Dave a few posts earlier, that my fave of the newer Doctors is Chris Eccleston - would've like to have seen another series from him but never mind - he certainly left us with a great reintroduction to the Doctor.

Also, going back to Dave's post earlier re: Nicholas Courtney making a cameo... what sad news to hear that he died last week following an illness. RIP Nick.

My mate from the UK got me a couple of new figs, Dalek Drone and Amy Pond with removable skirt (lol we can but wish cyclops ).

They've started showing Dr Who here in France but still can't find the figures anywhere yet.

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dr_who10

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dr_who11

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 am

RIP Elisabeth Sladen who died today. Elisabeth played companion Sarah Jane Smith alongside three of the Doctors, she also starred in her own BBC DW spin off series The Advenure Of sarah Jane.

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 9:55 am

A short trip to the UK last weekend resulted in a much needed Dr Who toy fix!

Various figures - mostly older ones - the comic shop I bought them at was having a bumper sale Very Happy I opened all of them but two which I decided to keep as moc.
The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dr_who10

Flight Control Tardis - This little toy is so ace the way it lights up and makes different sounds!
The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dr_who11

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dr_who12

Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 am

Nice stuff Paul .

Well i most confess i have never seen any of the DR. Who series . But i can see that it's sci-fi But i need a new DVD fix soon . Where , if any is agood place to start with this series ?

I mean i have just brougt the first Star Trek TNG DVD box . Had not seen the first pilot episode since some where in the 90's
And a girl friend of mine asked about the series . And she wanted to see it. But trying to get her hooked on that first episode . Just is a bad idea. As it is so bad . So i told her i get back to her on that :-)

But when a girl stars to show intrest in sci-fi then you have a duty to get her hook :-)

Thanks

Soren
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 am

Soren, I would recommend starting with the revival Drs Who from season 1 (2005) with Christopher Eccleston playing the Doctor. This will give you a good basis and flavour of Doctor Who.
Then you can move on to season 2, 3 and 4 with David Tennant playing the Doctor. Then to be up to date season 5 and the new season 6 with Matt Smith as the Doctor.

I would also recommend watching as many of the originals too (from 1963 - 1989) but these can be very dated and low budget compared to the new stuff (bit like your early Star Trek and the GF lol Smile ) - but these are still excellent imo and this is what most of us grew up with. The good thing is that from 1963 to present they have kept the continuity.

I just watched recently Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor (early 70s) and thought they were ace!

The Wiki article gives a good history of all the seasons, Doctors and episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

Hope that helps mate Smile

Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:58 am

Wow 777 episodes , there are something to dig into Very Happy And i thought that there where many ST episodes .

Thanks for the info Paul Very Happy I'm gonna look for the 05 box next time i'm in a DVD shop .
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 am

:bump:

Bumping up the Doctor Who thread with some recent purchases.

Dalek Battle Pack with Rose figure -

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Rc_dal10

x5 moc from the original early wave toy releases, and a series one moc -

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Dw_x6_10

Leela figure, comes with cool removable crossbow, bolt, knife and gun accessories -

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Leela_10

Vintage pencil case advertisement -

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 Doctor10

Back to top Go down
Cobs
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Goldie is for sale if anyone is after a full size Dalek replica in UK, she comes apart in 4 pieces for easy transportation or storage, may consider part exchange also.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Paul- Nice Dr. Who stuff. I've never seen an episode of the show, ever. But the toys look cool. I was in a comic shop today and they had a whole rack of Dr. Who figures. There was a cardboard standee in the front window of the store. It was a robot I didn't know or recognize. It was Cyberman. Mystery solved. Thanks Smile . I may have to hunt down that figure. I love robots or all kinds.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Cybermen were always my fave, looking at some of these DW toys I might get myself some.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 4:42 pm

:bump:

I didn't know this thread existed before today!

I have a large loose colection of modern figures. Does everyone who posted here still collect or have you gone into hibernation?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor Who Collecting Thread   The Doctor Who Collecting Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Doctor Who Collecting Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next