The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ctscanman68
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ctscanman68

Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 5:58 pm

We all know the moronic stereotype Star Wars fans have especially in the media so I was wondering if anyone keeps the fact they collect sw from people? I personally am very proud of my collection and share it with people I'm close to but I also know there are certain people who would never understand my hobby so I don't tell them. I know I should'nt give two shits what people think but at the same time I think its human nature to avoid ridcule whenever possible. Just curious what other people thought.

I apologize ahead of time if this isn't the correct section for this question but I'm sure a forgiving moderator will forgive this little breach of etiquette from a new guy! :opps:
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:21 pm

The thread is in the right place Brad don't worry Smile Vintage collecting chat is a good place for this kind of discussion, the social side of collecting is after all what forces us onto forums in the first place to discuss our "toys" because many people just don't get it.

As for being ashamed, I hear you at times, in the real world there will always be some asshole friend or family member that
tells you to grow up Wink

From 18-23 I collected pretty solidly, I had my collection on display and I shared it with my friends, they understood and a few
even used to think of me if they ever saw some SW stuff wherever they went.

Now I am 25 and living in a country where its not very common for people to collect anything let alone toys , especially not as an adult, so I am quite conscious of it being a bit "odd" for others to understand, although as you mentioned, its not going to bother me Smile

I figure that its a hobby that hurts no-one, if you can balance your personal life and finances well enough you can easily keep a foot in the hobby and enjoy it without pissing off your loved ones or your bank manager and if people don't understand it then don't worry Smile I would rather put my money and time into toys than sitting at the local pub sinking 8 pints and pissing my money away !

All said and done, I am aware as I said that its not the coolest of hobbies but I enjoy it and thats that Smile Anyone who doesn't get it or would make fun of me for owning toys is probably not someone I would want to be around anyway so no big loss lol
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:42 pm

I get it at times when i explain it to certain people i know mix with etc but they usually get an ear bashing on how vintage SW is the crem de la crem of starwars collecting lol
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:03 pm

never, i collect vintage star wars and am proud of it. it is a great hobby for me and i have enjoyed these toy's since they came out in the beginning back in the 70's.long live star wars best dam scifi ever.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Hand on Heart I have never been ashamed of my love and I never will. If someone does not like me because I collect or love SW then that just too bad for them and it’s their problem. I don't force my creed down everyone’s throat like a "witness" and expect them to believe, but I am passionate about SW and my collection and will happily let people know about it.

I think the way I promote the hobby to my friends and family and the average Joe in the street does have positive impact on them though...

Everyone in work knows about my hobby and a surprising number of non-believers will always come around my desk at 11.00am when a new package arrives at work - just to see what I have now and how & what i can tell them about it.

The guys next to me know about the Luke Jedi Focus and where I am. They will even log on TIG as a guest to see my Jedis; My misses can spot a Palitoy card from Kenner (if I covered up the logos) a mile off and none of them collect SW. I suppose they see my passion and just enjoy it. I actually have a nice collection of good luck presents from all my previous jobs whilst through school and University where my parting gift was something star wars... worth nothing to the average Joe but to me... the nicest thing I ever had.

Happy collecting

Last edited by Craig T on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
domr2
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
domr2

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 pm

i had that discussion during a dinner with some friends who aren't collecting anything and was really like an allien to them! they just don't understand why people are paying that much for mass production toys.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Did someone say average Joe ? Laughing

I had the same in places I worked at Craig, I got some knock off lightsabers off the lads one Christmas and we spent most of December and January smacking each other with them whilst we were supposed to be working lol

I also got a few SW mugs and Easter Eggs from people so I have never kept my interests in SW from anyone, and I have never had a mammoth enough collection to freak anyone out once they saw it Lol, I can imagine being a bit surprised to walk in on a house full of toys - It does happen Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 pm

domr2 wrote:
i had that discussion during a dinner with some friends who aren't collecting anything and was really like an allien to them! they just don't understand why people are paying that much for mass production toys.

Some folk wont get it Dom even when you try to explain they are genuine collectibles

Good post Craig i open the odd parcel at work and people buzz round like flies to see what it is!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Not me!!!

Even my students and players know I collect!

They give me shit about it now and then!!!
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:32 pm

The guys at work know i have Goldie but dont know about my Star Wars fettish, makes you wonder tho - how many there still have stuff in their attics Razz
Back to top Go down
ctscanman68
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ctscanman68

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:40 pm

Great points everyone! I didn't mean to come off sounding like I hang my head in shame for my love of the hobby. I proudly show off my collection to people I know will appreciate it. I just don't volunteer the info to people who I know won't ever understand why I collect.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 pm

No worries Brad I don't think you come across like that at all Smile

As you can see, quite a few people know where you are coming from and I am sure we all will at some point get a bit of stick for our choice of hobby but thats life I guess!

Great to hear it doesn't put you off Smile Enjoy !
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm

My Star Wars room is basically at my front door, so no hiding my Star Wars fetish Razz I've always said collecting Star Wars is better than pissing my money up against the wall Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Joe_O wrote:
No worries Brad I don't think you come across like that at all Smile

As you can see, quite a few people know where you are coming from and I am sure we all will at some point get a bit of stick for our choice of hobby but thats life I guess!

Great to hear it doesn't put you off Smile Enjoy !

Well said Joe

Vintage SW collectors are a certain breed of collector and ultimately its the core common bond that joins all of this community together!
Back to top Go down
Roussimoff
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm

HELL no I dont hide it! I waltz right into those comic shops and retail stores like I OWN the place and buy what I WANNA buy! smoke

"Uhhh...sir? your children are welcome to come in while you browse the toy section.."

"CHILDREN?? I ain't got no CHILDREN, these figures are for ME mack!!"

lol!

Regards,

Andre
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm

I tell people all the time. I genuinely couldn't care less if someone doesnt like it but , by and large, most people thinks its quirky but I don't think anyone really thinks it's crazy. I work from home and my office is the front right room and my collection is right there. When we have people over the guys usually have a look and get a little nostalgic, tell a story or point at who they had.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm

exactley,their nice conversation peice.everyone has a hobby or collection, if not how boring it would be.you've got to do and have a passion for something,why not star wars it's the best ever.i think george lucas can back us up on this. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roussimoff
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 pm

He sure can....as can his (multiple?) bank accounts. Wink Speaking of ol' George, not to appear as a 'hater' here or anything, but is it just me or does he appear a little arrogant in the various SW related interviews over the years? Ah well, I suppose when you are ahead of everyone else in combining a 'best of' of religions and world mythologies you can afford to be a bit of a dick.
Wink Razz

Cheers,

Andre
Back to top Go down
REDFIVE
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 7:48 am

I dont hide my Star Wars enthusiasm from anyone. My wife thinks its all a bit strange and cant quite understand it, my 2 year old son is developing a healthy interest in it so she is becoming the odd one out!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 pm

I openly let people know I collect. It has helped unearthed a few pieces in my collection from coworkers and even coworkers of my dad. When I have people visit and see my collection for the most part I think they get it. It does at least spur up some childhood memories. The same goes with my Transformers collection. My wife likes to spout off prices when people visit and I think that is her way of letting people know it isn't just junk. lol However, I don't really like that as I think that contributes to how collections can get stolen if people know the value. I've been seriously thinking about getting it insured over the last few months for this reason and with all the ridiculous amounts of money going on the coins.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Adam Burges
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Adam Burges

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Funny I didn't used to tell anyone in the earlier years, at senior school I used to ask my mates if they still had their figures to buy from them so friends I grew up with knew I collected. Since then i never openly told people until recent years, then its only collegues who can help me track down pieces from different countires and friends who have got to know me well enough to see my collection.

My collection has always looked quite descreet as well, one main cabinet for the figures and the coin frame next to it. This is all planning to change though, a star wars room is on the horizon, I want to showcase my collection more in a room of its own.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Adam Burges wrote:

My collection has always looked quite descreet as well, one main cabinet for the figures and the coin frame next to it. This is all planning to change though, a star wars room is on the horizon, I want to showcase my collection more in a room of its own.

I hope you'll share the room when you've got it set up. People always love the coin frame that I made off your guide when they see my collection. It should finally be full some time this year. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Adam Burges
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Adam Burges

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Cool! how many more do you need?
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:31 pm

hmmmm , nope verry proud , and most people around me are in to star wars , not the collecting part , only one of friends , collects, but very small, everyone of my friends understands and are jealous or envy the collection,and the patients it takes

they do ask the q, why do you have so many of the same fig, lol, reply THERE NOT THE SAME? LOL

i do , well i used to think that forums where for people that are either nerds or , people without friends , lol

so i dont tell evryone that iam on forums, except the ones that collect them selfs

not that iam ashamed of tig , on the conterery

acttualy , my collection is what keeps me going in times of stress , that or weed lol

so , yes very proud and no no hiding my collection at all
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Adam Burges wrote:
Cool! how many more do you need?

I have one set up on a payment plan that should be taken care of by next month. After that, I am down to 3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?   Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone ever hide the fact they collect sw from people?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next