The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? Empty
PostSubject: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 pm

This question was inspired by my wife. When she saw that I had bought yet another figure her response was “  Rolling Eyes you’ve already got 7 of those, why do you need another one?”  “It’s a new variant” I replied.
This got me thinking... As one goal is met, I set a new one. i.e. When I got back into collecting in 1994 my aim was to complete my loose childhood collection (I only needed 4 of he last 17 figures). From there I went for upgrades and major sculpt / paint variants. In recent years I’ve been going for coo variants, ships, playsets, Ledy, cardbacks & I’ve also picked up a number of moc’s along the way (I won’t even go into my modern collection). As long as I continue to enjoy this hobby I can’t see things changing.  

Do any of you set a goal and stick to it? Are you satisfied when it is met, or like me, do you all set new goals?
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm still new to this but I can see that things will have to change for me if I were to just stick with my mostly initial goals.

• Complete loose Kenner run (-4)
  • Complete Leia Bespin COO run (done)
  • Complete Leia Bespin Kenner baggie run (done)
  • Complete Leia Bespin Kenner MOC run (done)
  • Complete Leia Bespin Kenner cardback run (-1)

As I close in on the last two goals, I have been thinking about what's next even though when I first started collecting, my only true goal was the Kenner loose run - well at first it was the first 12, then the 21, then ESB and finally the full run - it was a moving target right out of the gate.
 tongue 
And then I found variants and mould families, then I got the MOC, cardback and baggie bug for my focus.  :I am stupid: 

Along the way I also got a bit of a general cardback bug but haven't set a goal on that and I think that will be in the pipes soon.

It seems that the more I get, the more I want. Smile

There is so much out there but I keep having to say this to myself, if I collect it, for the most part 80++++% must be displayed or I should not collect it.

If I don't add something to collect or go for next, my Star Wars collecting will be completely dead in a month so if I want to continue collecting on some level, I have to once again add something to go after.

So I guess that is a long way to say..... once I set a goal and it's met, I'll have to add another to keep my interest in the hobby, not just my collection, going strong.

Anyway..............
cheers!
Very Happy

Last edited by psybertech on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:45 pm

cantina_patron wrote:

Simple answer...NO

Proper answer...A standard set is too simple, and you'll get bored then branch out into major variants, then foreign variants.

If that isn't enough you fall down the trap of collecting COO and bootlegs. I'm currently at the latter stage and thankfully I'd retired from collecting MOC's, all the boxed ships I had or gone but I still have 90% of them loose anyway but in storage and can't bring myself to selling them.
Back to top Go down
chiktabba
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
chiktabba

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:38 pm

my wife is asking me the same question  Laughing  maybe they should make a club
Back to top Go down
http://www.collection-starwars.com/collection-chiktabba
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Shocked 
I forgot about this....
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6511-reflections-on-2013-and-collecting-goals-for-2014

Shocked that I am mostly on track..... but that will change I am sure. tongue

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Nah, not ever  :cool laugh: 

There are just sooo many cool and interesting things out there still to collect.

I try to set myself goals, like just focusing on Vader and collecting all the major loose variants, within that character focus. But i'm so easily distracted, really I should be saving my money to buy high end mocs and the one or two final loose variants that I need (Takara). But instead I have now ventured down the route of main sculpt and paint variants for the other characters, mainly starting with PBP/Euro variants, targeting bounty hunters and imperials first. But I now want to start collecting more Ledy and Glasslite also, as well as some of the vehicles that I'm missing, like a white Tie Fighter, or a sonic controlled Landspeeder. i would also like to pick up some more of the playsets like the Kenner Death star, land of the Jawas etc etc....

really I don't see an end to it, its all just way too cool  Cool
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 pm

I've got so many collections going at once I'm befuddled by the whole thing and not really getting anywhere. 

I switch from completing my loose collection to cardbacks to variants to Gammy Army and now have a massive urge to buy more mocs.

Just recently decided to sell my mint loose collection and my small collection of figure variants. And will spend the money on a few nice mocs, boxed ships and acrylic to have a proper display instead of a pile of boxes and a glass cabinet with half the figures lying down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:41 pm

No chance- I am unlikely to find a Takara set within my budget,  Fett & Jawa tri & ledy cardbacks........
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 pm

For me I set a goal then I break it Smile my main focus was just the north American kenner ones then it morphed into Ledy then sabers and autographs and the hunt continues til a new shinny object catches my eye.
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 am

Nope, my collection will never be complete, and I'm quite happy with that. There's so many areas to branch into and learn about, I plan to be collecting until I kick the proverbial bucket. I collect both vintage and modern stuff, so there's always something new to grab my attention--- squirrel!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:18 am

chiktabba wrote:
my wife is asking me the same question  Laughing  maybe they should make a club

lol!  Great idea!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Next time my wife questions my SW purchases, I'll show her this thread so that she knows I'm not alone in my habbits.  :cool laugh:

Keep the comments coming.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:00 am

I always feel I am close....but then other things show up..... Razz 

I will never start other niches then MOC or sth like that...it will always be loose bootlegs and variants. No expanding and still not complete after 20 years  Shocked  Shocked 

Not saying it is endless...it is really possible to come to an end....but regarding that polish deluxe GG I want in brown/green and regarding all those GG-hoarders  head bang  I have the feeling: NO....I will never be complete!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete?   Will Your Collection Ever Be Complete? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1