The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space Empty
PostSubject: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 pm

OK... as I approach finishing my loose Kenner run, I was wondering if and how I could display it.

I am shopping for a bookcase right now for displaying some of my stuff (mostly my Leia run) but I am hoping one shelf alone could be dedicated to the loose run.

Does anyone have any idea of how much space is required to display a run of 97 figures?
No variants, no duplicates, just one of each figure.

Can it be done on a single shelf about 12 x 36? Can it be done without the use of steps/risers?

I have seen so many pics and limelights of peoples full runs, but I can't recall I have ever seen one on a single bookcase shelf let alone able to gauge the actual space used by it.

I'm just hoping that someone along the way has either attempted or has displayed a set in a small space like that.

Math tells me 36" x 12" = 432 sq inches....
If I were to allow for about 4" of room per figures for 100 figures , that would need about 400 inches (or a better visualization would be 4 rows of 25 figures or 5 rows of 20???).... of am I way off here on my visualization???
I can grab steps/risers if that would help but in my mind I think they take a little more space than just a single figure but has benefits of 'seeing' the figures better.

I know I can probably fit them in tightly but I really would like some space between to actually see them all.

Anyway.... if anyone can offer some insight, I would appreciate it!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
JadBean
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
JadBean

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:03 pm

There's a company called Action Figure Cabinets that makes high-end display cases for figures. They're not cheap, but perhaps you could look at the dimensions of their products, and sort out how much space you'd need.

www dot figuredisplay.com/

(sorry I can't post the actual link, my account isn't old enough yet)
Back to top Go down
http://www.JadBean.com
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Hey Jad,

Good call and I kinda have an idea since I actually built a small case for my first 21 run plus a few extra figures. using that and with a some guesstimation, I figure that in reality I could get 18 figures in a row with 5 rows for sure but that falls short and I think might be cramped. Its the depth part I can't really judge and was hoping someone did something similar.

I hope I can get it to work and for some reason I think that steps/risers might help out with the chaos in a tighter space. Just not sure and I can't really test it out right now.

Anyway..... here's my custom first 21 case - a bugger to take pics of well but looks 100 times better in person.

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space 14111994819_2045248d1f_b

cheers and thanks!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JadBean
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
JadBean

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Very classy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JadBean.com
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 2:14 am

I use acrylic risers to get more figures on one shelf. The lower shelf is approx 53"x10" with 4x3 tier risers. If I didn't have all the duplicates/coo & sculpt  variants on the shelf, I reckon I would get a full Kenner run on it.

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space 20140617_070119_zpsfgesfhab

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space 20140617_073817_zpspelaojk2

Sorry about the pic quality, took it with my phone  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Apologies for the poor quality photos. The mirror at the back of the cabinet is great for display but plays havoc for photos. More than one light source and I get reflected glare all over the glass, or you see my ugly mug at the back of each photo!

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space Collection_zpsd6c46f2f

Anyway, the cabinet I have has an internal measure of 29" across and 14" deep. There are about a dozen variants and of course Jabba and the band take up a fair amount of room so if you're excluding them you should be able to fit everyone into a 12" x 36" display without any trouble. As you can see though, without risers these guys are shoulder to shoulder and you really can't see the back figures. Also, because I have them in release order short figures like Ugnaught, Yoda and Ewoks aren't visible.

If you have the height available I'd recommend some risers to get the best visually out of the collection. I don't have the room to do this with my set up unfortunately but I could always reorganise the figures so the shorter ones were at the front to make them easier to see.

Back to top Go down
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:14 am

Those acrylic risers look great. I am doing something similar with some off cut bits of wood, but those risers are much more classy. However, it's always irked me how much wasted space is introduced and made inaccessible by the tiers.

As an alternative to all this, I'm actually considering some "floating glass shelves" just wide enough to allow figures to stand on them. Google that term and you will see what I'm talking about. Very easy to install on any wall you like and with a very small depth of field, you can get right up close to each displayed piece.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks guys!

That really helps me see it in my head now. Smile
I hope to be picking up the case this weekend. I decided to order the risers (2 step) to see if they would help a little. I don't know how much height I will have until I get my main bits displayed but I think 2 step tiers are best.

Anyway.......... I can't wait to start this long over due project.

cheers and thanks again!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space   Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Displaying a full run of Kenner loose figs - how much space

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1