The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 am

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_40
Artwork by General Kahn

An Introduction to Mould Families & Sculpt Difference

This is a project I've been slowly putting together for a while, it's a guide that is aimed at helping people identify the different mould families by the sculpt differences that they have. This is currently a 'work in progress' and the guide section will be added to over time.

The Country of Origin (COO) families represent different moulds used to make the figures, in the majority of cases each individual family has a unique sculpt. This is NOT an exact science that runs from start to finish though.
It would appear that the first figures, at least the first 12 don't really comply to the 'rule' there COO families range in numbers from a few to lots and in many cases there appears to be no real sculpt differences, or very subtle at best.
The second wave of 8 figures starts to show signs of family sculpt differences taking shape, but still usually quite subtle up until the later half where a kind of system seems to develop where the COO families have notable sculpt differences.
Boba Fett ultimately kind of sets the standard of 3 familes, 3 sculpts. The entire ESB line sticks pretty close to this with most figures having 2 or 3 families. Usually each family has 2 or 3 molds within it.
(Note - when I say 3 or 4 moulds, it is most likely that these where not seperate, but 3 or 4 cavities within one mould block, it's just easier to say it like that)

Naturally there are exceptions to this 'rule' but it works pretty well for ESB and most of the ROTJ line.
Toward the end of the ROTJ line the 'rule' changed with many figures ultimately having only one family, which in many cases have 3 or 4 moulds.

One trend that seems to have been part of this rule is that in many cases for example when there is 3 families, one will be notably different while the other two will be basically exactly the same but one of the two will have less defined detail. I'm not show what the reason for this is.

The purpose of this guide is to help identify the figures by there sculpts and to make it easier for people to understand the concept of COO families which are the basis of all variants.
The guide is aimed at being simple and easy to use and very visual to try and cut down on the text which can often confuse people, especially as we are an international comunity and much is often lost in translation.

To make things even less confusing, I've kept the COO families in the same order as Wolff's guide, so family 'I' in my guide will subsequently match family 'I' in Wolff's guide. I have done many figures which Wolff has not covered in his new guide yet, so here I have stuck roughly to his old guide.

For people who are unfamiliar with COO families, Wolff's Country of Origin Stamp introduction and guide is a fantastic resource which can be found on his site here

How to use the Guide

The aim of this guide is to be visual and simple. Rather than point out every tiny difference I've tried to focus on the obvious and easy to spot differences. The first picture for each character shows all the different families with there COO below. These are listed with a numeral (I. II. III.) this is relevant to the COO. The following pictures then focus on specific areas of the figure, these pictures are doubled, the top section shows are clear image of the area in question, the lower section shows the same image but with the sculpt differences highlighted in an orange box. There is then a brief desription below which explains the highlighted areas.

The discussion area of this thread is for you all to throw in your thoughts, break down all the tiny details and just to generally discuss the topic, I'll look forward to your input  Very Happy

SW Character Guide

ESB Character Guide

ROTJ Character Guide

POTF & Other Characters Guide

Acknowledgements

I would like to thank the TIG team for helping me set up this thread, a big thanks to Wolff for introducing me to the concept of Mould families and also thanks to the people who will hopefully help contribute to this project. A Big thanks to Jay and Marco also for helping me with the technical side of things like Hyperlinks and stuff  Very Happy

I hope you enjoy this thread

Last edited by General Kahn on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:08 pm; edited 24 times in total
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 am

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Sw_log10

Luke Skywalker

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_14

The sculpt differences on Luke like many early figures are pretty much none existant, however, there is a unique difference on his hand/lightsaber hilt which unfortunately is difficult to see on carded figures etc.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_15

I. Finger overlaps saber hilt - II. Saber hilt overlaps finger - III. Finger & saber hilt are level - IV. Extra long saber hilt

Chewbacca

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_44

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_45

The first 12 figures where not produced in the same way as most of the figures that followed, at least in terms of sculpt differences for the COO families. Many had numerous families that all look almost, if not identical. Chewbacca is one such example, the overall torso sculpt appears identical on all families. There is one minor detail on the end of the left hand however that does appear different on all families, it is not the best means of identification by far, but it's about as good as it gets unfortunately.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_46

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_47

The main focus is around the longest fingure, each one is different, some are a like, but they are all different.

Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_48

As with Chewbacca, Ben Kenobi falls into the first 12 which, as said before are difficult to establish as different. Ben however falls into a slightly different catagory of first 12 where at least one other character falls into. This is where there are three families, two of which are seemingly identical and the other is slightly different. This is often the case in many of the ESB figures, but with them, the two that are alike are usually easily identified by one having less defined detail, this is not the case here. The other SW character that falls into this catagory is Han Solo. With Ben the best way to identify the two sculpts that are the same is by a small imperfection on the back of the heals of one of the families, which sometimes can be visible beneath the cape.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_49

The crescent shaped crease above the left boot is the focal point, I & III are the same, II is notably different.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_50

What appears to be the only real difference between I & III is a small ridge that runs around the bottom of the right boot on III which is not present on I. All example that I have of I & III are like this. There is also a more defined ridge found on II.

Hammerhead

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_16

Hammerhead has one real difference between his two familes, one has smooth skin, the other has textured skin.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_17

I. Textured skin - II. Smooth skin

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_18

I. Textured skin - II. Smooth skin

Walrus Man

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_51

Walrus Man has several easy to spot differences between the two families, the best at least from the front are two crease on the right leg.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_52

I. Rounded crease with groove at the top - II. Flat crease with a rounded one above it

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_53

I. Top most crease is well defined and rounded - II. Top most crease is non defined and flat

Luke Skywalker - X-Wing Fighter Pilot

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_19

The easiest to spot differences are on the white 'flak' jacket are on the front and back of Luke. The patterns are different, the vertical line patterns are quite different from each other.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_20

I. More vertical lines - II. Less vertical lines

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_21

I. 1 horizontal bar at the top - II. 2 horizontal bars at the top

R5-D4 (Arfive-Defour)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_22

R5-D4 has several easy to spot key differences between the two families. The heads are actually different in size, but this is hard to see even in hand, so impossible to tell when seperate.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_23

I. Small eyes - II. Large eyes

I. No lip on shoulder - II. Raised lip on shoulder

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_24

I. Pointed top of head - II. Rounded top of head

The second area, points to small lines that extend from the seperating mold lines that create the squares, these are present on 'I' but not on 'II'

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_25

I. smaller semi circle - II. larger semi circle

Note - The legs on 'I' are also shorter than on 'II' making the second figure taller

Death Star Droid

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_36

The sculpt differences on the Death Star Droid ar subtle but quite easy to spot. Because of the chroming, it can sometimes be difficult to clearly see detail, but generally speaking the subtle differences stand out.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_37

I. Small circle with nipple - II. Large circle without nipple

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_38

I. Small rectangle, no dots - II. Large rectangle with dots

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_39

I. Small rectangle with dots - II. Large rectangle with dots

Power Droid

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_26

Power Droid is essentiually really easy to spot, but given that he is often displayed from the front, it can still be quite awkard to identify the two families, from all over angles though the differences are easy to spot.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_27

I. Shallow groves - II. Deep groves

I. Long 'V' - II. Short 'V'

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_28

I. Round at the top - II. Angled on the inner side, rounded on the outer

I. Wide groves - II. Thin grooves

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_29

I. large 'triangle' wire - II. Small triangle wire

I. Large lump - II. Small lump

Boba Fett

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_30

Identifying Boba Fett families is easy done by other variation factors, but the sculpt differences are still easy to spot.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_32

I. Top visor Rim - II. Top visor rim - III. No top visor rim

I. Medium deep grove - II. Shallow grove - III. Deep grove

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_33

Awkward to explain, but clearly visible in the picture, the small detail in the center of the helmet side is notably different on each sculpt.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_34

I. Small hole - II. Large hole - III. Large filled in hole

I. Faint boot lines - II. More defined boot lines - Very large boot lines

Last edited by General Kahn on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 am

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread 5zxfer10

Leia Organa - Bespin Gown

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_42
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_43

Leia Bespin is an awkward one in some respects as she is one of only a couple of figures that actually had a major sculpt change along the way. This of course is the neck. The original neck (crew neck or flesh neck) was changed at some stage in production (Jay will probably be able to tell you when  Smile  ) The mold was retooled to produce a smaller neck which was not painted (turtle neck) The reason for this is un clear, but to me there is likely two reasons, the neck was probably changed because the original neck is not only way to fat, it's also to long giving Leia a rather odd, fat Giraffe neck. The new 'thinner' turtle neck is much better looking, but was left unpainted. Tis was probably because of the problems created by the flesh paint and gold paint on the original sculpt. Every family mould was re-tooled so can be found with both crew and turtle neck. I find the easiest way to identify the families is on the arms.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_17

I. Well defined creases - II. Non defined creases - III. Diffeent creases (not as many)

I. Small thumb, defined finger - II. Small thumb, less defined fingers - III. large wide thumb, defined fingers

FX-7 (Medical Droid)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_41

The differences for FX-7 are easy to spot, as with many, one sculpt is totally different and the other two are similar.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_42

I. Only 1 black area - II. 3 black areas overlapping the tapered section - III. 3 black areas that don't overlap the tapered area

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_43

I. 3 small black areas - II. 3 large black areas over lapping the tapered section - III. 3 large black areas that don't overlap the tapered area

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_44

It's not to easy to explain, but all 3 'grabbers' are different, one the the main differences is how open the hand is, although I. and III. are very similar, the best way to identify the differences between I. and III. is the base which attaches to the body, I. has a gap and III. doesn't.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_45

This is a good way to identify difference between I. and III. if other factors are difficult to see, the arms on III are notably thinner than the others

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_46

I. the gap between the black bars are smooth - II. The gap between the black bars is squared off - III. The gap between the black bars raised and continue to the top

Imperial Stormtrooper - Hoth Battle Gear

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_18

The Hoth Stormtrooper like most has two moulds very a like and one slightly different. There are a couple of slightly different sculpt points on the figure but because of the spray aps. applied to those areas it make it difficult to tell the difference in some many cases, the visor and the two small depressions on his right side torso are good examples of this, different but often hard to tell because of the paint (uni-visor vs. split visor for example). Probably the best way to spot the family differences is to combine sculpt and spray differences with the circle on his belt and the 2 line spray applications on his shoulder.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_19

I. Bold paint line that goes behind the arm, belt circle with no outer ring - II. Thin paint line that doesn't go behind the arm, belt circle with no outer ring - III. Bold paint line that goes behind the arm, belt circle with an outer ring

Rebel Soldier - Hoth Battle Gear

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_10

The differences on the Hoth Rebel Soldier are subtle but they are still there and if you know what you are looking for they are fairly easy to spot, again, 2 are similar and one slightly different.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_11

The neck scarves on I. and II. are very similar, but there is an extra fold on the top part of III.

I. Thin and flate vertical strip - II. Thin and more rounded vertical strip - III. Fat and flat vertical strip

I. Fat middle bar - II. thin middle bar - III. 3 bars are raised above the top part

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_12

I. Open hand - II. Open hand - III. Closed hand

I. Flatter strips, open bottom - II. More rounded strips, open bottom - III. Closed bottom

Boskk (Bounty Hunter)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_20

Bossk is very much like the Hoth Stormtrooper, two almost identical sculpts, one different one, but thankfully a handy spray aplication, again on the shoulder that helps identify the different families. The feet are a good focal point as well.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_21

I. Both shoulder bands painted - II. Shoulder band painted - III. One shoulder band painted

I. Thick line in middle of buckle - II. Thin line in middle of buckle - III. Thick line in middle of buckle

I. Square off pattern on right knee, large circle on left knee - II. Rounded off pattern on right knee, small circle on left knee - III. Square off pattern on right knee, large circle on left knee

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_22

I. Fat, round, large toes - II. Thin, round, small toes - III. Fat, pointed, flat toes

IG-88 (Bounty Hunter)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_51

IG-88 has several notable sculpt differences, which again follow the theme of 2 being similar one different.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_52

I. Small dimbles with vertical lines - II. Larger dimples with no lines - III. very faint dimples with no vertical lines

I. Hollow eyes - II. Solid eyes - III. Solid eyes

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_53

I. No circle - II. Circle with small nipple - III. Circle with larger nipple

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_54

I. No lumps on squares - II. Small lumps on squares - III. Large lumps on squares

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_55

I. Pipe on leg - II. No pipe on leg - III. No pipe on leg

I. Small gap between tubes - II. No gap between tubes - Large gap between tubes

Luke Skywalker - Bespin Fatigues

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_56

Bespin Luke has two sculpts which are very much alike and one different one. The two that are similar are like many of the figures that seem to follow this rule, the main differences seems to be the definition of the detail.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_57

I. Angled crease - II. Straight crease - III. Straight crease

The pocket tope have a strip across them, these are different, I. is fatter and flat, II. and III. are very similare but the detail defination of II. is much clearer

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_58

I. Buckle is more angled, large loop, angled edges - II. Buckle is more horizontal, small loop, angled edges - III. Buckle is more horizontal, small loop, rounded edges

The small box show the edge at the top of the leg, I. is rounded right down to the saber hilt, II. and III. are not but each has a different size edge where the rounded leg top ends. II. has a small sraight edge, III. has a large straight edge

I. Fat saber hilt - II. Thin saber hilt - III. Thin saber hilt

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_59

I. Small pocket - II. Large pocket - III. Large pocket

I. Botton on pocket - II. No button on pocket - III. No button on pocket

The holster clasp on I. is thinner and more angled, on II. and III. it  sticks out more and is more rounded

Han Solo - Hoth Outfit

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_60

Han Hoth has some easy to spot differences seperating all the families.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_61

I. has a raised lip at the back - II. No raised lip - III. No raised lip

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_62

I. 3 folds in the center scarf knot - II. 2 folds in the center scarf knot - III. Very different detailed scarf knot

The emblem is also different in size on all 3

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_63

I. Open hand - II. Closed hand - III. Closed hand

I. No crease on bottom half of pocket - II. Crease on bottom half of pocket - III. 3 sections to pocket top

The buckle on I. and II. are very similar. III. is a different shape

Lando Calrissian

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_23

Lando has a nice easy to spot the difference between all three families with his belt buckle.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_25

I. Central line through diamonds, wide bottom to trapezoid buckle II. No central line through diamonds, thin bottom to trapezoid buckle - III. Central ine through diamonds, thin bottom to trapezoid buckle

Bespin Security Guard (White)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_26

Although by no means perfect, probably the best way to identify the three family for the Bespin Security Guard is by his right thumb.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_27

I. Slightly curved thumb - II. Long, bulbose curved thumb - III. Straight thumb

Yoda

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_68

Yoda, like many figures poses a problem, as he is largely covered by a cape making it hard to identify differences, so the feet are probably the best place to look.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_69

The collar area on Ypda's right hand side goes to a point on I. on II. it is longer and not to a point, on III. it is larger and does not go to a point.

Difficult to explain, but when you look at the rope belt, you can see the differences in angle of the thread and the knot area

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_70

The feet have different length toes and detail

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_71

The difference in detail can be seen on the back of the feet also

Ugnaught

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_13

The Ugnaught can also have many of his distinuishing sculpt differences covered by his smock so again his feet can be a good place to look.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_14

The first rod in the pocket has a small lump on I. no lump on II. and a large lump on III.

The stripes are all different sizes on the collar and in the middle they line up with the 'V' differently as can be seen in the pictures

I. Large circle center on badge - II. Circle center has a nipple in it - III. Small circle center on badge

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_15

I. Large sole - II. Small sole - III. Small sole

The detail on the toe stripes is unique to each sculpt which can be seen in the picture

Dengar

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_77

The differences on Dengar are quite subtle and can be difficult to spot, the best place to look is on the small details on Dengars chest armour.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_76

The small armour clasps on I. and III. are long and on II. they are short

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_78

The various details on the chest armour a different, it's easier to look at the pictures and work them out than try and explain

Han Solo - Bespin Outfit

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_79

The differences on Han Bespin are quite subtle and difficult to see, it's more about the definition of the detail. One of the best ways to identify the differences is the way the two torso halfs connect on the shoulder, however this is not visible from the front.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_80

I. No line on pocket top - II. Line on pocket top - III. Line on pocket top

The collar area and the line across the mid section are slightly different in shape and size also

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_81

The connecting points for the torso front and back are all different

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_82

The general detail on both the belt buckle and the holster buckle are different, easier to look and compare than explain

The small round object on the left hand side of the belt is unique to each sculpt also

The hands are slightly different shapes, this is most noticeable on the left hand

Lobot

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_83

Lobot has a clear and easily identifable difference concerning the pockets on his chest and is belt buckle.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_84

I. Pockets don't touch lines and are less defined - II. Pockets don't touch the lines and are more defined - III. Larger pockets which touch the lines in the middle

The shape of the hands, espetially the right thumb are different

I. Horizontal lines are short and meet the buckle edge - II. Horizontal lines are short but don't meet the buckle edge - III. Horizontal lines are long and don't meet the buckle edge

I. Rounded zipper - II. Rounded zipper - III. Angled zipper

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_85

As can be seen from the pictures, the size and shape of the collar at the back of Lobot's neckare all different

Leia Organa - Hoth Outfit

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_28

Leia Hoth has a couple of reasonisbly easy tell tale sculpt differences, again it involves a combination of a couple, the breast insignia mixed with the inside lapel. The right hand is also a good one as alll three are different.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_29

I. Three sections on top row - II. 4 Sections on top row (extra on right hand side) - III. 3 sections on top row

I. Dots on insignia - II. No dots on insignia - III. No dots on insignia

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_30

I. Wide grip - II. Closed grip - III. Open grip, longer thumb

Rebel Commander

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_63

The Rebel Commander has one very easy to spot and distinctive sculpt diffence seperating all three mould families, the creases below his belt.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_32

I. One full line, two half lines - II. Three full lines - III. One full line

Imperial Commander

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_54

The Imperial Commander has a couple of easily identifiable sculpt differences focusing mainly around the chest insignia and his belt.
It is important to note though that Family I underwent a slight retooling at some stage during production. This concerns the thumb on his left hand, originally straight it had a small bit added to the end to bend it. The general assumtion hear would be that this was to better hold hid his gun, despite having a right hand which held it just fine. To the best of my knowledge this mold alteration only happened on COO family I and no others. Both straight and curved thumb can be found on the Hong Kong marked versions of the family. The no COO altered version of this family can only be found with the curved thumb of course.
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_55

COO family I straight thumb and curved thumb

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_56

I. Squared insignia lumps with small central groove, single line pocket with squared off pen - II. Fat rounded insignia lumps with large central groove, double line pocket with squared off pen - III. Thin rounded insignia lumps with large central groove, single line pocket with thin rounded pen.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_57

I. Fat buckle with slightly off center cricle - II. Thin buckle with centered circle - III. Fat buckle with centered circle, the belt on the left sidetapers as it joins the buckle also.

2-1B (Two-Onebee)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_86

2-1B has a couple of small but quite easy to spot differences which seperate the two families.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_87

I. Outer eye sticks out - II. Outer eye is a hole

The details of the chest emblem are slightly different

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_88

I. No small nipple on elbow joint - II. Small nipple on elbow joint

The position and shape of the central internal connecting rod is different as can be seen through the clear plastic torso

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_89

I. Thin circles - II. Fat circles

Luke Skywalker - Hoth Battle Gear

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_90

It is easy to tell the two Luke Hoth families apart, there is several easy to spot differences.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_91

The head on I. is smaller than II. and the top of the goggles is notably larger on I. than on II.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_92

I. Large binocular lenses - II. Small binocular lenses

The general criss cross pattern on Luke's top is much more defined on I. than itis on II.

AT-AT Commander

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_93

The AT-AT Commander has better sculpt differences on his back than on his front, but they are still present on the front, just not as easy to spot.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_94

The armour clasps on his shoulders differ with each sculpt

I. Emblem set in a depression - II. Emblem not set in a depression

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_95

I. Belt has deeper depression lines - II. Belt lines are not as deep

I. Larger buckle circle - II. Smaller buckle circle

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_96

I. Large rectangles - II. Small rectangles

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_97

I. Faint creases - II. Deep creases

Cloud Car Pilot

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_98

There are a couple of very easy to spot differences which can instantly identify the Cloud Car Pilot's two families.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final100

The gun holster has several differences, the most obvious is in the lower box I. has two bars on the middle stripe, II. has three bars

I. Angled buckle - II. Round buckle

I. Rounded zipper - II. Angled zipper

Bespin Security Guard (Black)

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final101

There is one easy way to spot the differences between the two families of the Bespin Security Guard which focuses on the small leaves that are part of the gold trimming.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final102

I. Leaves are detailed and rounded - II. Leaves are simple and flat

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final103

I. Non defined creases - II. Deeper defined creases

Last edited by General Kahn on Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:08 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Hicpsx10

Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight Outfit

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_33

Two of the Luke Jedi family are again similar while one is different. Both the Made In Hong Kong and Made In Taiwan are very a like, they also both have longer legs than the Hong Kong figure making them both taller. The ungloved hand is a good focal point, there is also a line on the chest and marks on the boots, but these can often either be obscured from view by the cape or difficult to see because of the black colour.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_34

I. Single line - II. Double Line - III. Single line

I. Small hand - II. Larger hand, curved thumb - III. Larger hand, straight thumb

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_35

I. Single line - II. Double line - III. Single line

Emperor's Royal Guard

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_36

The Emperor's Royal Guard has several distinguishing features, the best is his robe belt, which unfortunately is covered by his cape. His head is an o.k. focal point, but his right hand is probably the best feature that isn't always obscured by his cape.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_37

I. Complex knot, lots of tassels - II. Simple knot, no real tassle detail - III. Complex knot, not many tassles

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_38

I. Oval style visor II. Downward crescent Visor - III. Oval style visor

The area between the 'nose' section of the helmet and the outer rim is different on each helmet which can be seen in the pictures.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_39

The right hand is different on each figure, both the shape of the hand and grasp and shape of the thumb are different which can be seen in the pictures

Princess Leia - Boushh Disguise

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final104

Leia in Boushh Disguise faamilies can be easily identified from the front and behind by looking at the bandolier strap and pack.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final105

The detail on the bandolier clsp is notably different on all three sculpts

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final106

The small area with the two vertical lines on the backpack are different sizes and positioned differently on each of the sculpts

The crease on the left shoulder strap is different on each sculpt

Rebel Commando

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final107

There are a couple of easy to spot differences on the Rebel Commando which maki identifying the families easy.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final108

I. 4 stripes on strapes - II. 3 stripes on straps

I. 2 creases - II. 3 creases

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final109

The small line on the gloves that run a long the finger and thumb and meet in a triangle are quite different

I. More creases - II. Less creases

General Madine

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final110

The differences are subtle but there all the same, The hands and the pocket on his belt are the best places to look.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final111

The size of the collare lapel and the placement of thebuttons on it are different

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final112

I. Open hand - II. Closed hand - III. Closed hand

The pocket on Madine's belt is different in detail on all three families, this can be seen in the enlarged section

Bib Fortuna

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final122

Like several figures, Bib is mostly covered up by his cape making it difficult to see any of him, thankfully his hands are actually onr of the best places to look for differences. With the Jcape off, the belt is also a good place like the ERG.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final123

I. Medium right hand with more angled thumb - II. Skinny right hand with less angled thumb - III. Fat right hand with no angle on thumb
I. Rounded tassle ends, simple knot - II. Squared off tassle ends, complex knot - III. round detail-less tassle ends, detail-less ball knot
I. No dots in gaunlet circles - II. Dots in guanlet circles - III. Dots in guanlet circles and more defined detail
I. No finger nails - II. No Finger nails - III. Woth finger nails

Biker Scout

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_61

The Biker Scout is quite an east one as all the 4 families are very easy to spot sculpt differences which can be found on basically every part of the figure, but in fairness you don't really need to look any further than the torso. Naturally it goes without saying that the Lili Ledy figure is the easiest to spot because of the unique head sculpt which can be clearly seen in the group photo on the far right.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_62

I. No line on chest - II. Line on chest - III. Line on chest - IV. No line on chest

The small 'V' on the Scouts belt is different on each family as cam be seen on the picture

Probably the best area to look at is the crouch where each family can be quite easily identified by the diagonal creases in that area, all are different

The hands on all four families are again quite clearly very different

Princess Leia - Battle Poncho

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final113

Leia with Battle Poncho has very clear differences in sculpt everywhere, unfortunately most of it is covered by the poncho.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final114

I. Very defined pocket details on arms - II. Non defined pocket detail on arms

The emblem on the right shoulder is notably different

I. Cross straps meet in the middle - II. Cross straps don't meet in the middle

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final115

I. Non detailed boot creases - II. Detailed boot creases

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final116

I. Round bottom tovertical stripes - II. Pointed bottom to vertical stripes

The Emperor

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final117

The Emperor has a detail on his belt which easily seperates the two families.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final118

I. Long middle crease, full bottom crease - II. Short middle crease, short bottom crease

Han Solo - Trench Coat

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final119

Han in Trench Coat can be easily identified by his head, the two families have a clearly different 'look' the sculpt differences are also very clearly different, but often hidden by the coat.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final120

The collar of Han shirt has more definition and is larger on I. than it is on II.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final121

I. Open hand - II. Closed hand

I. Bump on holster - II. No bump on holster

Both the belt buckle and holster buckle are much more defined in detail on I. than on II.

Rancor Keeper

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_58

The Rancor Keeper falls into the catagory that several of the latter Jedi figures fall into where there is a Taiwan COO and a no COO (formerly Hong Kong) and both are almost identical. Differences are often minor at best. There is one feature that certainly appears to be across the coard and despite being quite small it is quite easy to spot. It concerns the studs on his gauntlets.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_59

I. Very small barely noticable central stud - II. Large very noticable central stud.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_60

I. Very small barely noticable central stud - II. Large very noticable central stud.

Last edited by General Kahn on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

POTF & Other Characters Guide

Droid Factory R2-D2 - Special Report

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_64

Like many foreign companies, Palitoy cut a few corners in order to cut costs. In the case of the vehicles and playsets that they released, some where produced in the U.K. particularly the larger vehicles which would have been costly to import. Some things they did import and others they kind of did a bit of both. In terms of the playsets which where not as important as the likes of the significant vehicles like the Falcon and X-Wing etc. they made them in the U.K. to cut cost and made changes as it was likely deemed insignificant.
The Land Of The Jawas is a good example. They basically vacuum formed there own base and didn't produce the Escape Pod, the rest is cardboard, so BAM, playset good to go on the cheap.
The Death Star Playset is of course the most famous with it's infamous cardboard half dome structure which allowed a large scale playset to be made without impoting a single part while also working with the smallest cost possible, and to top it off, it's actually really good!

The Droid Factory Playset is an example of both in-house making and importing. All the small actual Droid parts where imported and are identical to the Kenner parts. The problem was most likely importing the large base and crane for what was essentially an non screen insignificant playset. The descision was made to produce there own base and like The Land Of The Jawas playset, they simply made a vacuum formed thin plastic base (found in either Yellow or Blue plastic) with a sheet of cardboard glued to the base. This served the exact same purpose as the Kenner version in that it housed the Droid parts, it just lacked the quality of the Kenner one and the additional crane part.
What has made the Droid Factory Playset infamous over the years is the 'build it yourself' R2-D2 that came as part of the set. The main feature of course being the third leg, making this particular R2-D2 the only truly screen accurate version produced in the entire Star Wars line.
The R2-D2 that is featured in the Droid Factory Playset already has it's own unique little feature concerning the decal sticker in the fact that it is reversed compared to the standard R2-D2 figures released during the SW, ESB and POTF lines. But there is a little known variation of this sticker which was unique to the Palitoy Playset.
Because Palitoy produced there own base for the set, they also produced there own decal sticker sheet to be applied to it, and of course this included the R2-D2 sticker.
The R2 sticker for the Palitoy set is completely different to the Kenner version. The paper its self is a darker colour in general and so is the blue colour used, the sticker is also non glossy like the Kenner version. Below is a basic guide which highlights the amin differences.
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_65

Kenner - Straight blue rectangle. Palitoy - Wavy blue rectangle

Kenner - Oblong grills. Palitoy - Circular grills

Kenner - Extra line in Hexagon. Palitoy - Single outline on Hexagon

Kenner - Clear circular pattern. Palitoy - Unclear circular pattern

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Final_66

All the detils in the boxes at the bottom of the sticker are completely different between the Kenner and Palitoy versions

Last edited by General Kahn on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Stellar amount of research, Alex!  And well explained with detail pictures.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Hoping for lots of input from our community now.

After all this hard work, we should maybe offer you some secondary benefits.  Cool 

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Dia110
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
pattejan
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
pattejan

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Shocked      Shocked       Shocked 

Awesome!!! Fantastic work Alex!

It's a great start of a great guide for variant collectors!

Thanks and kudos to you!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Cheers,
Patrick

bow bow bow
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:15 pm

this is a guide i will be visiting regularly for variant confirmation, thanks for taking the time to put this together.
It is an excellent, precise and easy to follow guide Alex, very well done chief  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Nicely done Alex  cheers 

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Very impressive and great reading.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Another mould family identifier can be the peg holes.  The Emporer & Bib come to mind:
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Sdc13215
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Sdc12915
MIHK, HK & Taiwan

Last edited by aussiejames on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 4:07 am

Outstanding :clap: 
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 4:53 am

Excellent work Alex, well presented and a fantastic resource for variant collectors.  :clap: 

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 5:05 am

Neck vs no neck may not be an identifier:
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Sdc13214
these are both mould II

Head swaps are possible but this can also be found on the same mould family with Leia Boussh
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Sdc12101
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Sdc12499
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 am

I agree AJ, that's one reason why I stayed clear of head as identifying points for the most part because of the potential head swap issue.
This may be the way they where made on the Sprue?

*edit* I have removed the neck/no neck image from the main page  Smile 

Last edited by General Kahn on Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 am

Alex, Great work mate  cheers :clap:
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 am

Excellent job. :clap:  This will be a great thread to follow. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 am

I'll have to check my Iggys now. Pretty sure I have the three shown here.

I have to give the variant guys credit. You have tons of dedication. And far better eyes than I do.

And a quick question to the guys who hunt and display their variants. do you ever pick a figure up off your shelf and have no idea which variant it is? And have to compare? I know I would.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 2:59 pm

pffff....finally something less for me to do which I wanted to do since years!

keep on going, but I have one question:

Can you please, please, please linke every character in your first post??

If you need help for the html just let me know....or ask Marco etc...

That would be great!! Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers

and well done

Wolff
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 3:52 pm

kisstour03 wrote:

And a quick question to the guys who hunt and display their variants. do you ever pick a figure up off your shelf and have no idea which variant it is? And have to compare? I know I would.

I use small stickers on the bottom of my display stands  which denotes the coo and any paint or sculpt variation  Smile 

Of course that means that each figure has its own personal display stand, so I have to be careful when handling them not to mix em up!!
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Wolff, the links are added now  Very Happy  (Thanks for that Jay  :clap:  )

*edit* Wolff, the links are actually up and running now  Very Happy  (yesterday was a fail)  What a Face 

Last edited by General Kahn on Fri May 02, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 6:28 pm

cheers

Awesome work, Alex!

Now to start staring at some MOCs! Laughing

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
pattejan
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
pattejan

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I hope it is okay to contribute:

Emperor's Royal Guard

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Ergsd1jk5
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Ergcoos6skg6

There are many differences between the three families.
I am just reffering to some of them on the torso, the legs, and the head.
But there are a lot more also on the arms.

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Erghead1ss6jbf
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Erghead2srkjpj

I and III have a "round mouth". II has a "pointed mouth".

The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Erglegs1snvkcb
The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread Erglegs2srvj1c

The tassels and the trousers and the boots drape are completely different on the three families.

Cheers,
Patrick
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Great contribution, Patrick! Very Happy

The more collectors contribute, the better.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Btw: Be carefull on 2-1B and IG!

They have more "mould variants" then COO families....ist complicated....but well.

I will hopefully send you some pics the next days/weeks/month...LOL

Anyway....there is "inverted" dots regarding the arms on both and 2-1B has also three eye details!

And a last note: the heads are important. I know why you say: they can be swapped....but well...this should also help to determine a headswap I would add them???

Just my thoughts....though....

Anyway....I am leaning back and just enjocing this....surprise me Patrick and Alex....I am curious....I am sure you will find sth I havent noticed yet...so please go on  cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread   The Mould Family Guide & Discussion Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next