The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! Empty
PostSubject: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:44 am

Hi guys,

as you maybe know, I dont post anymore on RS. But I wanna thk the guys that defended me and my work for the community in this actual thread:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4122505&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#4122505

THX JOE (Joe_O)!

THX MIRCO (MIKE_SKYWALKER!

THX Henrik (HWR)....he is actually not a member here.

Please note: dont believe John_A a word....I quitted because of other reasons (not the ones he mentioned).

AND YES: MAYBE ITS THER RIGHT PLACE HERE TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE TOO!!

1. Is it necessary to make a definition from the word variant?

2. If yes, do you think such definitions should be declared and the whole community has to follow??

3. Is this kind of (never ending) discussion useless??

What ya think?

Wolff

Last edited by wbobafett on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:44 am

I just posted over there again Wolff, I can honestly say I like and respect you both, if you guys don't get on so be it, no big deal but he had some valid points and so did you.

I don't give a monkeys what anyone collects as long as its not U graded figures so enjoy whatever you enjoy as long as you are all informed Very Happy

Get back on RS and put John A on ignore if you guys don't get on, simple Smile The world needs passionate collectors even if they don't get on with each other Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 am

And on with the discussion -

I think variation hunting can be a never ending thing if you don't understand the production process but I think its pretty cool for COO + some paint variations.

At heart I am a MOC collector but bridging the gap with loose + MOC variations is interesting to me so I am happy with how loose collectors collect and share their information.

I just want everyone to get along Laughing

Homework Homework Homework!!! 🎅
Back to top Go down
Lee_m
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Lee_m

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:31 am

Why do people make such a big deal about variation collectors Rolling Eyes It really does baffle me. It's like you have to justify
why you collect them sometimes. I personally collect them because after i completed my basic set it was just a natural progression - i guess this is the same in most people's cases. I think once most collector's complete their basic set and then get the large/small head Han,Blue snaggie,grey/white Ben etc. etc.. they have a decent amount of knowledge as to what they consider a variant and can make up their own minds what they want - be it a green limb chewie or orange hair Luke. I don't see threads on RS asking focus collectors to justify why they have X amount of a certain cardback or why people collect bootlegs.

This isn't a bash at anyone on here BTW guys lol!

It's the ebay muppets who don't use knowledgable forums like this that drop the big bucks on Luke farmboys that have had a coat of orange paint applied to him by the seller or stupid money on a discoloured green Dengar or Hammerhead that need educating. What narks me is those feckin home made rocket firing boba fetts that keep selling at the moment on ebay. Those ignorant people willing to drop silly money on shite i have no time for - it's easy to find these forums and gain excellent knowledge very quickly if you are prepared to research and find out about things.

And personally i'm glad Wollf doesn't post on RS - His knowledge and friendliness is much more appreciated over here Cool You stay here mate Cool

Lee (600+ variations and still going strong...) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 am

Joe_O wrote:
The world needs passionate collectors even if they don't get on with each other Laughing

Hey....thats true! Very Happy

Joe_O wrote:
I think variation hunting can be a never ending thing if you don't understand the production process but I think its pretty cool for COO + some paint variations.

I know some variation hunters beeing stupid hunting all those sunlight damaged figures for big money. But its the same people that discovered so many many true variants in the last few years.

Lee_m wrote:
It's like you have to justify why you collect them sometimes
True....and "sometimes" is getting more and more to "always" on RS.

Lee_m wrote:
I don't see threads on RS asking focus collectors to justify why they have X amount of a certain cardback.

LMAO...thats a good idea.... Wink

Lee_m wrote:
And personally i'm glad Wollf doesn't post on RS - His knowledge and friendliness is much more appreciated over here Cool You stay here mate Cool

Thats a nice one Lee....thx and DITO!!

Lee Im totally with your whole post....I would sign this one for 100%.

Whats mocking me is the whole discussion about the definition from the word "variant/variation". Its already been defined...its called lexicon and the whole fucking world is using it. Only a small community has its own definition.....hääää?????????? Makes no sense to me!

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 10:16 am

Well i posted some of my thoughts on the RS thread

Jay
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:09 am

nobody realized I posted the wrong link????

eh??

Fixed now Laughing
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:14 am

jaymassive619 wrote:

Jay

Guys what thread is this (on RS)... I wouldn't mind reading the back story to this...
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:18 am

Craig T wrote:
jaymassive619 wrote:

Jay

Guys what thread is this (on RS)... I wouldn't mind reading the back story to this...

The correct link has now been added to wolffs first post Craig Smile
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 am

i havent seen this on rs, but you know we got your back over here bro,
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 am

jimmymindtricks wrote:

Thx Jimmy. Wink

As you can see on Jays two posts, John is the master of twisting words.

I wont get involved again....but Im seriously thinkig about it....well my name was mentioned a few times ....so maybe I should.....?????? But the result would be the same as every time.....

maybe this is also from interest:
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3743908&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

wolff
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 pm

I actually think there should be more discussion on the subject. Theres more out there than anyone realizes about vintage figures. I used to go for variations no matter what it was, green limb Chewy included because they were odd. But then like Lee said, those sellers on Ebay who simply refuse to learn about what they have and list everything as uber-rare one of a kind variants piss me off. Not everything is a variant or variation. Its like the time I asked about the Teebo hat on RS. Everyone who posted swore up and down it was deteriation and Tom Derby said the same. Then lo and behold, the was a sample found bagged. "Lovely variation you got" "Awsome find", even if it was discussed over a year before.

All I can say is keep up the good work guys and put the info out there so everyone can see what is really out there. And Wolff, don't worry about RS. I hardly post there anymore myself, classifieds is the only thing going on there anymore. No disrespect to RS meant in anyway, but once you start having some of the big names wanting to leave, John Graham and JoeY, you know theres something wrong going on.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Chris_J wrote:
Its like the time I asked about the Teebo hat on RS. Everyone who posted swore up and down it was deteriation and Tom Derby said the same. Then lo and behold, the was a sample found bagged. "Lovely variation you got" "Awsome find", even if it was discussed over a year before..

Good example. The white Teebo hat was discussed years ago on a german forum. A lot of members there are also on RS. But noone of them wnated to post on RS:"Yes its a vari...we know since years.....we have carded examples......" Because of the caste there....the big ones write their thing...others gave up. If you have luck you get a PM on RS....from someone who maybe knows. But rarely an official post.

Teebo white hat: mainly appeared on Trilogo cards some bagged. Mine is from cutcard. I have a pic from a MOC. AND: its not only the white hat that is different. Also the nose and eyes are painted in a stronger blue. No other Teebo has that kind of color....not even almost near.

Wolff

Last edited by wbobafett on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Variants are just that - variants, small to large differences, major or minor - who cares? I collect them to learn some knowledge on what to look for, i also really enjoy the detective work like we did with Meccano Boba, and of course the differences, to me this is much more fun locating those rarities not like Yak Face or Blue Snag who seem to be more available than Nien Nunb! Wink

I havent read the thread yet on RS yet but i get the picture, ill have a read later.

I for one am real glad you made it over here, who else could i torture about variants Wink your a good laugh too m8, great sense of humour!

I dont post much on RS nor do i have issues with the site, i dont think ive posted as much anywhere as i have here (except my game modding webby which ive retired from Wink )

Anyway - back on topic ... VARIANTS Smile
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Chris_J wrote:
And Wolff, don't worry about RS. I hardly post there anymore myself, classifieds is the only thing going on there anymore. No disrespect to RS meant in anyway, but once you start having some of the big names wanting to leave, John Graham and JoeY, you know theres something wrong going on.

yup...totally with you m8
Back to top Go down
Lee_m
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Lee_m

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

wbobafett wrote:

Teebo white hat: mainly appeared on Trilogo cards some bagged. Mine is from cutcard. I have a pic from a MOC. AND: its not only the white hat that is different. Also the nose and eyes are painted in a stronger blue. No other Teebo has that kind of color....not even almost near.
Wolff

Also on ROTJ Canadian 77 back - i have a moc Cool
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Joe_O wrote:

There was a case very recently that made me realise all of this, there is a No COO Boba Fett with Dark limbs that is NOT a Lili Ledy figure, it is in fact called by variation hunters as the "Meccano" Fett, through some research (even though the variation hunters already knew this) I was able to confirm that this figure was only released on one cardback, the early French Trilogo card with the smaller shaped bubble.

Maybe to some that doesn't mean much, but as mentioned above, the groundwork that these variation hunters do is extremely important and can at times provide the clues and links to carded versions to find their true origin.

This is the area where everyone should pull together, MOC collectors can help the loose collectors determine origins by checking for COO's and posting them where needed (discussion threads etc) yet not many do.

MOC collectors in the past and probably still are a bit snooty to loose figure collecting but it shouldn't be that way, I am glad that I can at least (now) appreciate that these guys aren't just trying to say they have some rare figure because the "M" in their Made in Hong Kong figure is different to all others, they are working to find the origins of figures, note down the factors that set them apart from other figures and most importantly (again in the case of Wolff) SHARE the info with the community.

If it wasnt so long this would be my new footer.

BIG THX TO A MOC-COLLECTOR who totally NAILED IT Cool

edit: am I eccentric???

Wolff
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:17 pm

wbobafett wrote:
jimmymindtricks wrote:

Thx Jimmy. Wink

, John is the master of twisting words.

no shit , dont tell me about it lol! kinda off an inside joke , rob joe james josh , will know what i mean
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:21 pm

I've almost given up defending variant collectors, I am proudly one and I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about it. It keeps me happy collecting and that is all that matters. As for that german maniac he doesn't need defending Razz I know he is a great guy and if anyone else doesn't see that up yours
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:24 pm

aussiejames wrote:
I've almost given up defending variant collectors, I am proudly one and I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about it. It keeps me happy collecting and that is all that matters. As for that german maniac he doesn't need defending Razz I know he is a great guy and if anyone else doesn't see that up yours

Hey James,

I know you did a hundred times....remeber the Uzay argue Wink

THK you also m8

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Wolf,

In all honesty I have only known you for a short time (since joining TIG). But what I do know is you're a classic example of what a true vintage collector should be and what new vintage collectors should inspire to be.

You're pasionate about what your collect; You are unselfish in way you share knowledge to your fellow friends, co-collectors and the general community and you collect figures in a way that makes you happy.

I think the last point is the most important. It makes you happy! If you are not doing anything that destructive to the hobby then I can't see why any wee-stain should want to upset you. So don't take any notice and carry on adding to your cool colection.

All the best!

Craigy
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Craig T wrote:
Wolf,

In all honesty I have only known you for a short time (since joining TIG). But what I do know is you're a classic example of what a true vintage collector should be and what new vintage collectors should inspire to be.

You're pasionate about what your collect; You are unselfish in way you share knowledge to your fellow friends, co-collectors and the general community and you collect figures in a way that makes you happy.

I think the last point is the most important. It makes you happy! If you are not doing anything that destructive to the hobby then I can't see why any wee-stain should want to upset you. So don't take any notice and carry on adding to your cool colection.

All the best!

Craigy

Thx Craigy

really appreciated here Wink

Wolff
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Lee_m wrote:
wbobafett wrote:

Wolff

Also on ROTJ Canadian 77 back - i have a moc Cool

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Didnt know that!!!
Back to top Go down
Lee_m
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Lee_m

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Teebo white hood MOC Canada 77 back Wink

No coo figure Smile

MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! Picture%201515
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Lee_m wrote:
Teebo white hood MOC Canada 77 back Wink

No coo figure Smile

MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! Picture%201515

Great stuff Lee its always great to see a MOC of a loose variant and trace it back to that point Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!   MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MAJOR VARIANTS------Discussion and thankful words!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next