The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vader experts needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

Vader experts needed Empty
PostSubject: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 am

Hi guys. I need some help with a figure variation I cannot identify. It's a raised bar no coo ( I.2a on Wolff's 3.0 COO guide) and it has a small head with odd proportions.  I posted pics last November but haven't gotten an answer yet (so I thought maybe a new thread would get fresh eyes on it).  I'm hoping that the Vader aficionados can help me with this one. I can take more pictures if anyone asks for them.

Here are the pics:
Vader experts needed Myster11
Vader experts needed 2vader12
Vader experts needed Myster12
Vader experts needed Myster13
Vader experts needed Pictur27

Any ideas about this would help.
Thanks. - Julian
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 6:07 am

If you get no replies just send a PM to Oscar ( MK43R1 )
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 7:32 am

It is an odd one. It kinda looks to me like a potf 2 re release vader head, as previously mentioned back in November. But on a coo I.2a body, so it might be either a boil and pop or a short shot original head  :scratch:
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 1:58 am

Any one else have any ideas?
Vader experts needed Pictur31
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 3:06 am

you should probably PM Oscar for the best answer because he has tons of Vader variants  Cool 

I think what is throwing us off is the head looks almost identical to the POTF2 Re release of Vader  :scratch: 

but having the raised bar 1977 stamp makes it rather unique   unsure 

My 1st thought would be maybe its a head swap but they are extremely difficult to change - I am sure there are guys that can do it but , while doing my customs , I can't seem to figure out how .

So my next thought would be a limb swap because it is actually not too hard to do . I could see a scammer having a raised bar 1977 Vader with poor chest paint or maybe a damaged / missing head trying to upgrade their figure with a little limb swap  No 

combine a POTF2 Vader torso and head with a 77 raised bar no coo Vader to make a higher grade and more desirable variant  Evil or Very Mad 

It's just a theory and I hope I'm wrong actually - it would be much cooler if you have a authentic variation  Cool 

Hopefully a Vader expert will chime in soon  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 am

The potf-2 Vader torso has a shiny finish to the armour above the chest plate, not found on vintage Vaders  thinking 
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 11:46 am

I bought the figure for $4 about a year and a half ago... I've got a hard time believing someone would have gone through so much trouble for 4 bucks. But hey, ya never know... I wouldn't mind picking up a re-issue Vader to compare them side by side (if anyone's selling) maybe that would shed some light on it. As for getting Oscar's opinion I've sent him a pm and I hope he chimes in. hint hint
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 12:33 pm

You might send Bill McBride a pm also. He is a huge vader collector/expert and may have some insight into it. He is on this board also under Sithtoys I think.
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 2:02 pm

here are some comparison pics of a vintage raised bar coo next to a modern POTF-2 Vader (always on the right). its quite hard to capture just how glossy the finish is on the POTF-2 chest armour, compared to the vintage figure, but it is a bit more obvious on the back.

Vader experts needed 2_zps40e9d1de

Vader experts needed 1_zps93597ef3

Vader experts needed 4_zpsfa0a66f2

Vader experts needed A5618836-3b72-49bc-bce2-342d5676409d_zps068ab1da

hope this is helpful, It might help to rule out whether it is a POTF-2 torso or not  Smile although looking at the paint apps to the chest and buckle on your figure Julian, it does look like a POTF-2 torso, lending further credibility to James' theory of a limb swap. but hopefully Oscar or Bill might chime in with some definite answers.
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi Julian, sorry for not chiming in sooner.
I honestlly am going to agree on the limb swap theory.
If you look at the re issue sculpt, it has a unique way that the head sits on the torso,
the head is always on a slight lean to the side, on a vintage raised bar figure the head is never like this, it always sits straight on the torso,
the sculpt of the arm on the re issue is also unique, just look down the mold line on the re issue,
and you will see the differences, you can see some slight lumps down the mold line,
the torso paint on the reissue is also unique, the red paint on the re issue torso is more towards a pinkish red.
On the vintage raised bar figure the paint is always a rich red, or a very dark red.
So you have a POTF2 torso, head, arms, with a raised bar figures legs.
I cant see this being a good combo.
Back to top Go down
llseeker
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi guys, I don't buy into the limb swap theory, since it doesn't make any sense to me to swap legs on a figure that doesn't have any paint on them... for 4 bucks?

I have seen figures with slightly smaller heads before or "under-injected" limbs. IMO the figure is a result of a production accident...

Carlos

Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Carlos,
have a look at chris.75 comparison photos of a vintage raised bar, and a re issue side by side,
the white belt buckle on the two is very different,
the vintage raised bar figure white belt buckle has a large flat dot in the buckle, all raised bar figures have this buckle,
the reissue figure white belt buckle has a raised small pointy dot in the buckle,
this raised small pointy dot looks to be in Julians photos of the figure in question.
I also thought about a factory error head, under injected as you have said,
but that would mean that an under injected head would be deformed in some way,
Julians figures head has no deformitty to it.

Edit, maybe Julian can comment if his figure has the flat or pointy dot in the white belt buckle.
Back to top Go down
llseeker
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 2:30 am

Hi Oscar, I agree completely on the flat dot thing on the buckle of the No COO raised bar Vader, let´s see what Julian can tell us about it...
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 am

Sorry for the wait... had to dig him up... Hate to say it but yup, raised (pointy) dot on belt buckle , shiny armor above chest plate and the legs are a bit loose. I'm thinking you guys have nailed it. Leg-swap. I'll probably get a reissue figure to compare side by side just to put any doubts to rest but I'm pretty sure you are right. Luckily this figure wasn't pricey or too precious to me, just an oddity in my growing Vader collection. Thanks to all for helping me get to the bottom of it. This forum rocks!
Cheers - Julian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vader experts needed   Vader experts needed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vader experts needed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1