The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? Empty
PostSubject: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 9:30 pm

We all know that there is 93 ( cardbacks ) but there are way more original Kenner figures than that, that are unique.

What would be your count?

My Spreadsheet says 104 if i dont count the droids and ewoks figures and 123 if i count them in. My spreadhseet also says i have 87 out of these 104-123. I am also counting the special figures like 3rd leg R2, Blue Snaggletooth, DT luke and VC jawa because in my opinion they are not really variants ( per say ) but a different version all together of a same character in some case and some are companion characters to the line but were not packaged on a card but are technically a 3.75" action figure like the Max Rebo band. I guess Boba is the same as the ESB one in the droid line so it would be probably 122 total... I am not including creatures or beasts in this list.

ANH

Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia Organa
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
Chewbacca
See-Threepio (C-3PO)
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
Han Solo
Han Solo Big Head
Jawa
Sand People
Death Squad Commander
Greedo
Hammerhead
Snaggletooth Red
Walrus Man
Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot
R5-D4
Death Star Droid
Power Droid
Boba Fett
R2-D2 3rd leg from droid factory (special )
Vinyl Cape Jawa
Double telescoping Luke
Snaggletooth Blue

ESB

Leia Organa (Bespin Gown)
FX-7
Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear)
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear)
Bossk (Bounty Hunter)
IG-88
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit)
Lando Calrissian
Bespin Security Guard 1st version
Yoda
Ugnaught
Dengar
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)
Lobot
Leia (Hoth Outfit)
Rebel Commander
AT-AT Driver
Imperial Commander
2-1B
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (with Sensorscope)
C-3PO (Removable Limbs)
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear)
AT-AT Commander
(Twin-Pod) Cloud Car Pilot
Bespin Security Guard 2nd version
4-LOM
Zuckuss
Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot

ROTJ

Admiral Ackbar
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight
Princess Leia Boussh
Gamorean Guard
Emperor's royal guard
Chief Chirpa
Logray
Klatuu
Rebel Commando
Weequay
Squid Head
General Madine
Bib Fortuna
Ree-Yees
Biker Scout
Lando Calrissian Skiff disguise
Nien Numb
Nikto
8D8
Princess Leia Organa (in Combat Poncho)
Wicket W. Warrick
The Emperor
B-Wing Pilot
Klaatu (in Skiff Guard Outfit)
Han Solo (in Trench Coat)
Teebo
Prune Face
AT-ST Driver
Rancor Keeper
Lumat
Paploo
Max Rebo
Sy Snootles
Droopy McCool

POTF

Luke Skywalker Batlle poncho
R2-D2 pop up lightsaber
Romba
Amanaman
Barada
Imperial Gunner
Han Solo (in Carbonite Chamber)
Luke Skywalker (Imperial Stormtrooper Outfit)
Anakin Skywalker
EV-9D9
Warok
Lando Calrissian (General Pilot)
A-Wing Pilot
Imperial Dignitary
Yak Face

Droids

R2-D2
A-wing
Boba Fett
Jan Tosh
Jord Dusat
Kea Moll
Kez-Iban
C-3PO
Sise Fromm
Thall Joben
Tig Fromm
Uncle Gundy
Vlix

Ewoks

Dulok Scout
Dulok Shaman
King Gorneesh
Logray
Urgah Lady Gorneesh
Wicket W Warrick

let me know what you think and if i am missing anything please tell me.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 4:47 am

Thanks, I was planning to start a list myself to keep track of my figures and varianst. You save me a load of time  lol! 
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 am

If you include the DT luke you should really include the DT Vader & Kenobi as well. Both these were released on card.

Both the Droids Fett and A-Wing Pilot can be found on other card backs.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 am

I went through this last year when I started collecting and got some good input from folks here.

In the end, if it shipped on a card, it is a figure with one exception and that is Blue Snags just because he is iconic.

For the sake of the core list, I don't count Max Rebo's band nor do I count Jabba or Salacious Crumb.

I never count an accessory as new figure. Like Stef said, if you add DT Luke, then you have to add Ben and Vader. If you include the DT, you need to also add blue and green Luke Jedi.

Then there is any possible variation of a figure out there like big head and small head Han and crew neck and turtle neck Leia Bespin and teeth no teeth Lando. If you add Lando, why stop there for paint apps... add in all POCH figures since their hands are very pale. Don't forget Ledy since they too are different paint - at least make sure to add Ledy CCP and Blonde Leia Bespin.

It could go on and on.

I really think that a 'figure' list should be considered just like the back of the card backs - Collect all XX.
Kenner didn't even consider Max, Jabba, Crumb, etc, to be figures, why should we?

FYI: my count is 97 for the basic Kenner run.
The Collect all 92 gang + Yak + Blue Snags + R2 Scope + R2 Solid + 3PO fixed limbs = 97
From there, you can add whatever variant YOU are interested in to a goal oriented spread sheet, but the core figures I would call that.

For me, as a desired addition to the main figure run, my goals were to have: VC Jawa, Ledy Removable Hood Jawa, Han Big/Small Head, Leia Bespin Crew/Turtle Neck, Droid Factory R2, Brown/Yellow Hair Luke Farmboy, Brown/Yellow Hair Luke Bespin, Glasslite 3PO, Ledy CCP, Yoda Dark/Light Green (and orange/brown snake).
I am sure I am forgetting somebody, but that is my additional wants above the basic run.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Where do you draw a line?
I guess it just depends on the individual collector, I've never considered the cartoon figures as being part of the main Star Wars figure range so don't, or have any desire, to collect them.

And what about paint variations?

I mean Kenner never intended brown hair or blond hair Luke as being two separate figures.. & does the pale blue Boba Fett count as a separate figure or just a variant?
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Let's be honest, Han solo small head & big head are variants.

So where do you draw the line?
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Everyone has an opinion, but like I said above, mine is that...

The Collect all 92 gang + Yak + Blue Snags + R2 Scope + R2 Solid + 3PO fixed limbs = 97
Blue Snags is only there since he is just very iconic and desireable and the only exception to the 'Collect All XX' concept.

Beyond that, its really a personal choice/goal as to what to pile on to that basic list.

I'm shooting for 97 as a solid goal - I have 2 figures in the mail to complete the ANH through ROTJ lines. Once they arrive I will be at 10 missing off the 97, all of which POTF. YAY ME! and ugghhh.... the expensive and fussy ones. tongue

I already have a ton of variants in between, but I will always be looking at the core 97 as the main goal for me. Everything else is gravy on top of icing! Yummy!
After that main goal is done, I'll chug back through and replace a good portion of the core line with unique or desirable variants so they core display will have a little extra coolness rather than just common Kenner ones. ANd I know that will start my COO collecting officially. Geesh... soooooooooooooooooooo much to consider!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Jay, now that's a cool idea. Using the same concept as John and only displaying one of each character, but by replacing the standard Kenner one with a variant.

Now to convince the other half!!
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I agree with Jay on the basic core list of 97  cheers 

Really it's all just a matter of personal opinion from collector to collector - ask 20 different people and get 20 different numbers - it would be a miracle if just 2 people agreed on the same exact number  Very Happy 

I know there are guys that consider the Dianoga a figure and have one in their collection but without a DS play set ...

Rancor's and Wampa's are technically just really big figures - it's simply up to the individual to decide where they draw the line  What a Face 

When it's your collection and you can make your own damn rules as to what counts as a figure  lol!
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 3:00 pm

I agree with James. It's down to personal preference.
These discussions crop up time & time again, and to be honest there is no definitive answer, as we all have our own opinions. All I will say is that you are looking at a minimum of 96.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I know its really hard to decide on a number. I am struggling with that myself. I don't think you can only go by what the cardback numbers tells you... That's why i did not include any paint variants or coo variants cause then the list would be almost infinite or  hard to contemplate.

In the end or rather at this time i am closing in nicely on the original trilogy figures. I might try to dip in the cartoon series but some of these are near impossible to find or expensive.

DT luke, Blue snag, VC jawa and Yakface will all come first before the cartoon figures plus i have to do several upgrades plus i got to find several original weapons and the coins for the POTF figures so as you can see i got my work cut out for me...
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 pm

psybertech wrote:

Very Happy

+ Max Rebo, Sy Snootles, and Droopy Mccool = 100

That a nice rounded number which I have used since years.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 am

Dr Dengar wrote:
psybertech wrote:

Very Happy

+ Max Rebo, Sy Snootles, and Droopy Mccool  = 100

That a nice rounded number which I have used since years.

+ Vinyl Caped Jawa = 101

I've used 101. My logic is that Blue Snag and Vinyl Jawa are so different from their counterparts that they deserve it. Variants (big head/little head) and even DT Sabers are just personal preference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?   What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would be the official/unofficial tally of the vintage Kenner line?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1