The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production Empty
PostSubject: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2017 5:21 pm

I found a very short article written by a figure artist, and it was pretty informative. It detailed the basic process from start to finish, but I'm really interested in artistic variants (paint schemes, sculpt changes) and how they came about, less so, production variants. Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Last edited by Calrissian_Charm on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2017 5:30 pm

There is an interview with one of the guys who produced the ledy line somewhere. I will see if I can dig it out.

This ventures more into preproduction steps which is an area I do not focus. I would recommend speaking to Steve Dwyer (dark artist) or Oli (olisuds) as they are preproduction/proto collectors and would have more info on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks, I'll hit them up
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 6:08 pm

There is a seven part interview with gi.Joe sculpter Bill Merklein on YouTube . It's not vintage Kenner but it's the best interview with a toy sculpter I have ever come across and he explains about the whole process of design , sculpting and marketing . https://youtu.be/NmgQeduUFW4
Back to top Go down
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks, I will check that out. Im interested in the entire process. Though what I'm most curious about are how intentional variants might come about. What was the inspiration for giving Luke Bespin 3 primary hair colors, or changing Yoda' s snake from orange to brown? And who made those calls? I'm interested in separating artistic from practical or manufacturing variants. Like hollow cheek Sandpeople seems an obviously practical choice. The little bit in the mold that would keep those tubes hollow would seem to be easy to break, and why make a new mold? Instead just modify it, and no more hollow cheek tubes.

But then there might not be definite answers to find.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm

I had completely forgotten this article by Tommy Garvey.
http://blog.theswca.com/2015/11/how-star-wars-figures-are-made-birth-of.html

It doesn't really talk about how variants occur, but you can see every step of the preproduction process. I don't think there is an item that exist to explain the small variants like what I think your asking about. Collector lore such as lucasfilm wanting this or that changed, the factory itself taking early liberties only to be corrected by kenner later, etc.. are all stories I have heard, but I am not sure how to trace them back to anything specifically. I have never seen a memo from kenner to a factory explaining the need to change Luke bespin hair color for example. If these are the run changes your talking about that made visual different variants, I will be honest and say I have no idea where to direct you.
Back to top Go down
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 am

That link is great, and lots of other links to follow. Very much appreciated. You are right though that some of the history of curiosities I'm really interested in are likely lost to time. I'll keep looking for a while though. It's all part of my obsessive personality. I want to know as much as possible about the hobby, however unimportant the details are lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production   Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Articles/Blogs/Interviews about vintage Kenner toy production

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1