The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Card back collectors thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Haha, if it's any concelation Jay, only the Luke Bespin 30 A is mine, all the rest are from my friend (who bought yours) collection. I sort them for him, and scan them all for my own archive, so if anything I feel your pain, I currently have three full binders of fantastic cardbacks sat on my desk and none of them are mine Sad 

I do really enjoy sorting through them all though, modern toy cards are so generic and boring Mad 
Back to top Go down
Dutchskywalker
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dutchskywalker

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 8:41 pm

General Kahn wrote:
Dutchskywalker wrote:
In the Netherlands and Belgium you also had to cut out the nameplates for the premiums, so an cut out name can come from other european sources then the UK.
The thing with production in the Netherlands & Belgium, Clipper only actually produced it's own card stock for the first SW 12 backs and the ESB 45 Backs, everything else was released on imported cardstock from Kenner, Kenner Canada, Palitoy and German General Mills, all of which are identifiable by the Clipper stickers applied to the cards, or at least by the tearing or residue left from attempts to remove these stickers. The name plate was used for the offers but the imported cards are still identifiable as being from the Netherlands or Belgium in the vast majority of cases because of the Clipper stickers or evidence that these stickers where once there.
The thing about the imported Kenner cards in the U.K. is that only the offer cards can be identidied as being from the U.K. by Palitoy stickers, all the others are just standard Kenner cards totally indistinguishable from there U.S. counterparts, so again it is likely that the vast majority of Kenner cards with the nameplate removed did originate from the U.K.
The interesting thing to me is the vast amount of imported Kenner cards which appear to have come from the U.K. because unlike Clipper who only produced two of it's own unique cards, Palitoy was producing it's own unique cards all the way from the SW 12 Back A's right the way through until the ROTJ 65 Back D's and even the Tri-Logo hybrids cards but still must have needed to import card stock from Kenner to meet production demand.

Here's an interesting example of a Klaatu on a Palitoy ROTJ 65 Back with the Clipper wrap around sticker. What makes this particular card interesting is that this came from my friends childhood collection and was bought in the U.K. making it possible that Palitoy or some distributers where importing overstock where ever to meet demand, in this case the Netherlands.

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Klaatu11
But the figures were also sold on cards without any stickers in the Netherlands ....
I still have every cardback of every figure I had as an kid, will take an look at them in an couple of weeks if there is anything interesting among them. I even still have some cut out nameplates Smile
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:52 am

Dutchskywalker wrote:
But the figures were also sold on cards without any stickers in the Netherlands ....
I still have every cardback of every figure I had as an kid, will take an look at them in an couple of weeks if there is anything interesting among them. I even still have some cut out nameplates
Very interesting, I assumed they all had the stickers, stands to reaon that they wouldn't I guess. Get your cards dug out chief and get some pictures up on here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Panastur
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Panastur

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 am

General Kahn wrote:

Return Of The Jedi Tri-Logo Hybrid 70 Back

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 17_bes10

The sixteenth and essentially the last of the Palitoy card, this card features the the same front as the 65 D in the fact it doesn't have the black bar under the ROTJ logo, but the 'ages 4 and up' text has gone back to the multi lingual version like the 65 A, B and C cards. In total, only 6 figures where released on the hybrid card, Both Bespin Security Guards (white and black), Greedo, Hammerhead, Snagglettoth and the Cloud Car Pilot.

The cards that followed from this point where the Tri-Logo's
Hi General,

This is really a good work overviewing the Palitoy cardbacks, really... but i just desagree with the last sentence ; The cards that followed from this point where the Tri-Logo's

These cards were introduced after the first release of Trilogo cards, exactly with the second weave of Trilogo cards; thinner card, unpunched(dot-cut) hang hole and etched bubble only. They just re-used an available design to introduce these low selling figures and lowered the cost of designing a totally new cardback. It's almost certain they didn't got the original art to do that.
Unfortunately, these cards are always mistaken as hybrid or "transition" cards.... What's totally wrong.

By the way, Palitoy imported their action-fihures already carded from the Far-East. It's only from the ESB 45 "B" that Palitoy blistered their action-figures on their own printed cardback in its factory of Coalville. Palitoy also blisterd the 45 back for Clipper and Parker Germany. All these 45 back "B" cards were made in UK.

Again, a really good work.

JC
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 am

"By the way, Palitoy imported their action-fihures already carded from the Far-East" unsure 
So all early Palitoy figures ie. Palitoy VC Jawa same from Asia?
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 am

panastur wrote:
These cards were introduced after the first release of Trilogo cards, exactly with the second weave of Trilogo cards; thinner card, unpunched(dot-cut) hang hole and etched bubble only. They just re-used an available design to introduce these low selling figures and lowered the cost of designing a totally new cardback. It's almost certain they didn't got the original art to do that.
Unfortunately, these cards are always mistaken as hybrid or "transition" cards.... What's totally wrong.
Cheers for pointing that out, I didn't realize that they came later, now you've said it, it makes alot more sense Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Panastur
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Panastur

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:38 pm

aussiejames wrote:
"By the way, Palitoy imported their action-fihures already carded from the Far-East " unsure 
So all early Palitoy figures ie. Palitoy VC Jawa same from Asia?
Yep, same factory as the Kenner one. All made by Kader industries in Hong Kong... Also, and as weird as it may sound, it's "Palitoy Far-East Div.", a division of G.M. Products Hong Kong Ltd. that was in charge of the control of production and manufacturer research.

As example, the Palitoy ESB 41 back cards bears a "K" printed next to the "Made in Hong Kong" mention that stands for "Kader", like the Kenner do.

Kader made also the Meccano 12 back...  That's the reason you can find today the Vinyl cape Jawa on these Three company cardback; Kenner, Meccano and Palitoy...

JC Smile
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Very interesting indeed, thanks for that. Was it as these factories that they altered the COO stamps then for the European market?
When you said that the 45 b where packaged in the U.K. where the figures still produced in the far east? Or where they being produced in the U.K. as well?
I can't speak for other figures, but for Bespin Luke it was the 45 c where all the interesting variations first appeared i.e. dark boots versions and the main no COO versions, Bespin Luke was never released on the 45 b that I'm aware of, but the time frame can't have been too far off. The 45 C was definately one of Palitoy's most abundant card as well.
Back to top Go down
Panastur
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Panastur

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 7:34 pm

General Kahn wrote:
Was it as these factories that they altered the COO stamps then for the European market?
No, you don't alter a COO for a specific destination. COO stands for Country Of Origine, or manufacturing. Never for destination.
The alteration in the Far-East region is mainly due to a political decision when in 1983, United Kingdom reclassified Hong Kong from a British crown colony to a dependent territory, slowly passing under China control.

General Kahn wrote:
When you said that the 45 b where packaged in the U.K. where the figures still produced in the far east? Or where they being produced in the U.K. as well?
They still produced in the Far-East but in less quantity. U.K. never produced action-figures. The only place in Europe where action-figures were produced was Spain.
France and U.K. only produced some spaceships and playsets, never action-figures.

General Kahn wrote:
I can't speak for other figures, but for Bespin Luke it was the 45 c where all the interesting variations first appeared i.e. dark boots versions and the main no COO versions, Bespin Luke was never released on the 45 b that I'm aware of, but the time frame can't have been too far off. The 45 C was definately one of Palitoy's most abundant card as well.
You must be mistaken but the Luke Bespin was released on Palitoy ESB 45 "B" card. Here is the cardback :Palitoy 45 back B Luke Bespin

Personally, i am not a fan of COO variations nor a loose collector. I saw too much absurdities said on the matter. Nothing is white or black. People must accept that different alterations may come from a same factory. An action-figure is not the same from the first batch of production against the last one produced from an eroded mold.  Paint scheme may also be altered during a production from a same line of manufacturing.
There's too much stakeholders in a production that the result may vary in a dozen forms... (plastics, paints, molds, mixed assembly, etc, etc...)

And last, Far-East factories never exported unpainted production to be painted in Spain.... NEVER!!!! This is just ridiculous.

JC Smile
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 pm

panastur wrote:
You must be mistaken but the Luke Bespin was released on Palitoy ESB 45 "B" card.
I apologise, yes you are right, I have the same picture in my file but over looked it.

panastur wrote:
They still produced in the Far-East but in less quantity. U.K. never produced action-figures. The only place in Europe where action-figures were produced was Spain.
France and U.K. only produced some spaceships and playsets, never action-figures.
I was never quite sure wether or not figures where actually produced in the U.K. I knew some vehicles where, which makes sense as importing them would'nt have been cost effective, also a friend of mines Dad worke for a molding company called 'Orbit Plastics' who where contracted by Palitoy to injection mold certain vehicles, also a handful have U.K. stamps:

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 1c_ran10

I'll say it again, thanks JC for this incredible insight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Panastur
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Panastur

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:44 pm

General Kahn wrote:
panastur wrote:
You must be mistaken but the Luke Bespin was released on Palitoy ESB 45 "B" card.
I apologise, yes you are right, I have the same picture in my file but over looked it.

panastur wrote:
I was never quite sure wether or not figures where actually produced in the U.K. I knew some vehicles where, which makes sense as importing them would'nt have been cost effective, also a friend of mines Dad worke for a molding company called 'Orbit Plastics' who where contracted by Palitoy to injection mold certain vehicles, also a handful have U.K. stamps:

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 1c_ran10

I'll say it again, thanks JC for this incredible insight Very Happy
Looks like a Rancor stamp.... Cool

It was a common practice to sub-contratc the plastic injection to an external company. Understand that it was impossible to Palitoy(and also all other european companies) to make all the toys of all lines(including Star Wars) in their own factory. They'll need undreds or thousants of injection stations to make all the pieces...
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Yes it is Rancor, my friends Dad used to mold Falcon's and AT-AT's from his memory (which may be incorrect) I think from a previous thread we found a B-Wing with a U.K. stamp also. Like you say though, production on that scale in one factory would be impossible. Have you seen this video from Youtube, I know it's difficult to really say where the footage came from, but if it is entirely from the U.K. the brief pic you see of the Zuckuss being carded is a 45 C?

Check out the way the woman just cracks them AT-AT legs down, bet she wears the trousers in her house!
Back to top Go down
Panastur
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Panastur

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:02 pm

General Kahn wrote:
Yes it is Rancor, my friends Dad used to mold Falcon's and AT-AT's from his memory (which may be incorrect) I think from a previous thread we found a B-Wing with a U.K. stamp also. Like you say though, production on that scale in one factory would be impossible. Have you seen this video from Youtube, I know it's difficult to really say where the footage came from, but if it is entirely from the U.K. the brief pic you see of the Zuckuss being carded is a 45 C?

Check out the way the woman just cracks them AT-AT legs down, bet she wears the trousers in her house!

This footage is from the assembly line at Palitoy where you can also see the packaging section.
These Zuckuss are clearly JEDI 45 back C... No doubt Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 3:39 am

Great info, JC! Very Happy

One aspect needs a follow up, I think.

Panastur wrote:

And last, Far-East factories never exported unpainted production to be painted in Spain.... NEVER!!!! This is just ridiculous.
From: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4427-the-poch-pbp-guide-discussion-thread#72643

Dr Dengar wrote:
Just keep in mind it is still a working theory based upon what I read in discussions mixed with some of my own ideas. Like with every theory various aspects of it it still need to be verified by sound evidence. Please challenge this theory, so it can be improved.

So let's discuss this further in the POCH/PBP thread.
In the end we all are interested in a valid theory.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 4:43 am

There's some really great discussion and information developing in this thread.

I liked your post about identifying the various Palitoy cards Alex. I'll be able to get mine properly catalogued now.

Thank you or sharing your knowledge JC, I've leant quite a bit reading your posts.

Keep up the good work guys. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Got this little gem yesterday. a good friend of mine bought it for me as I was skint. A big thanks to him and  to Stefan for sending me the link Very Happy 

Luke Bespin, Palitoy 30 Back B Very Happy 

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Luke_s10
Back to top Go down
Kenner76
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Kenner76

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 pm

I don't have anything too crazy, but here are two of my favorite Ledy card backs:
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Img_9410
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 7:15 am

Nice cardbacks fellas Smile Love the group shot on the back of that Palitoy card and those are some awesome looking Ledy cards. I really like that alternate photo for the Artoo. Keep em coming!
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 8:42 pm

This start of a run was part of a great pickup I had recently but obviously pales to that of others (MrPalitoy!), but here are some individual scans of the fronts of my just started Tri-Logo cardback run.... nowhere near a complete run yet but it is a start.......

The flickr details state what they all are (70B, C, D, not sure, etc).......

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10806981515_a4c78f2395_m Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10807222934_1d9a38e716_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10807192175_7773e74f53_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10806958544_8b6edffe1a_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10807408706_57b62f5a11_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10807572355_c668d218a7_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10809275856_ecc3f957b5_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10809685083_6a4ee0a701_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10810595973_334f280037_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10809402325_dd87dc104d_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810491804_54c818fc42_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810170156_3d44a10a94_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10806285644_aabbae2658_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10805804285_3fe8693988_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810468893_f8c435f4b7_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810226836_e4282991f7_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10806244216_a55ea3c051_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10806447006_f8db68db22_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810234636_046946c2c6_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810255785_80b39f74b8_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10810371684_84d12768ab_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810379024_1cd99ac1f9_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10804992564_6c895e1306_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810267936_1ef46193b5_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10810277136_4d7dbf94fe_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810416064_36561d4941_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10805983175_8218008ce4_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810548163_71fe960856_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10810302835_5ceed9c535_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810566963_4a027677e9_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10805889024_e2db07deb6_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10803600436_91a2502aca_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10803451556_1bc1d1812a_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10805753693_c1301ea12d_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810321975_30f5b8ed76_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810368125_bb5480d3be_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10810161636_2b57555390_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810180225_f86c00b6d9_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810191205_c8ee3f5aff_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10810338574_286cfcff68_m
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 10805337035_5ef101248c_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10805350284_101cde0d20_mCard back collectors thread - Page 3 10806849835_a068020953_m

I think its 40 + 3 dupes (different stickers - Yak & Luke Poncho and different bubble for Leia Bespin).............

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Jason, thanks for adding them.:clap:  That is a fantastic start to a collection.:Drool: 
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 am

That's an awesome set Jay, and a great start to card back collecting and a great start to a Tri - Logo run.....you do realise though that to complete a Tri - Logo run at some point your gonna need a Jawa and a Madine which probably makes it one of the hardestrruns to complete Sad 

Great set though cheers 
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 2:28 am

General Kahn wrote:
That's an awesome set Jay, and a great start to card back collecting and a great start to a Tri - Logo run.....you do realise though that to complete a Tri - Logo run at some point your gonna need a Jawa and a Madine which probably makes it one of the hardestrruns to complete Sad 

Great set though cheers 

way to go man - just go ahead and crush Jay's dreams before he even gets really going lol! 

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Thcag911

your a mean one Mr Grinch :cool laugh: 
Back to top Go down
paulcalf
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 6:52 am

Here are my childhood cardbacks, all bought in the UK, in the Midlands, mostly from Goldie Toys. Please let me know if you come across any cardbacks with Goldie Toy stickers. I'd love to put a full set together!

It wasn't all Palitoy in the UK.

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 IMAG0230" />

So the Star Wars ones were a mix of Kenner & Palitoy cards.

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 IMAG0231

Empire cards were mainly Palitoy. I think Yoda was a hard figure to get at that point in the UK, hence Kenner cardback for this little dude.  

Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 IMAG0232" />

My Return cards are a mix of Kenner & Pailtoy.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:34 am

:clap: Nice cards Paul, Obviously as a kid I was more intersted in getting the figure out to play with as I saved nothing!! Sad
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 4:53 am

Picked this up at a toyfair today:
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13028" />

Been sorting my trilogos: http://trilogo.info/carded-figure-guide/advanced-guide/
Hybrid Greedo & MOC Gam Guard & Rancor keeper missed out on the photo shoot!

excuse the non cardbacks (Ackbar is opened) : Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13027

UK type 1 : Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13026" />

UK type 2 : Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13025" />

UK type 3 : Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13024" />

UK last 15,  A-wing pilot has clipper catalogue & the AT AT driver is Meccano type 2
Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13023" />

"Parker" Card back collectors thread - Page 3 <a href=Card back collectors thread - Page 3 Sdc13022" />

so that's about 42 characters- lots to go geek 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Card back collectors thread   Card back collectors thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Card back collectors thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next