The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie Empty
PostSubject: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 am

I just heard on the radio that J.J. Abrams has been chosen to direct the new Star Wars movie. I haven't been able to confirm this yet?
Has anyone else heard this???
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 am

I've just heard about that aswell, although I don't think there has been an 'official' announcement yet.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 am

I just google his name and most of the reports seem to confirm this as well.
Hopefully he does as good a job on the new Star Wars VII as he did on the reboot of the Star Trek movie!

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/102649/JJ-Abrams-Confirmed-As-Director-For-Next-Star-Wars-Movie
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am

I wonder which Star Trek character will make a cameo in the Star Wars universe?!?!

I guessing you all know about R2 in the first Star Trek reboot?

Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 am

Stefan - I must of missed it. How, why, where, when?????

Edit. I have a copy of the movie, so I will have to check it out. But here is what I found on the net. Have yet to confirm.
Maybe he will sneak something in???

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie Db136410

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie Star_t10

Last edited by Commander Clint on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 am

Key scene from Episode VII: Cool

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie 1314731084171962

(Seriously: Abrams is a great director, I am looking forward to EP VII if he will indeed direct it)
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 am

Here is R2 in Star Trek

http://gizmodo.com/5405276/confirmed-r2+d2-finally-discovered-in-star-trek
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
DarthSwales
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
DarthSwales

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

I liked Abrams work with the Star Trek film personally, but then again that's the only Star Trek I've ever seen so I can't really judge whether or not the film was better than the original stuff (I'm gonna get burnt at the stake for not watching Star Trek now, I know it.... Razz).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to SW VII very much so! cheers
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 am

Who is this JJ guy? and if he had anything to do with star trek this is bad news for starwars, real bad news..
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

Aussie Fortuna wrote:
Who is this JJ guy? and if he had anything to do with star trek this is bad news for starwars, real bad news..

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

The last Star Trek movie (The Future Begins) was much better than all three Prequels together , so I don't worry too much. Cool
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

I really liked his work on LOST (some of those episodes were immense!). Abrams was co-creator, executive producer, writer, theme music composer and director for LOST.
Really hoping he brings good things to the table for SWVII bounce

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 am

Hopefully with Abram's, we won't get any Jar Jar or Ewoks. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 am

I saw this news on another forum as well and thought it was a joke but it looks like it's official.

Very mixed feelings about this but, IMO, his take on Star Trek was to try and turn it into Star Wars so this might be a better fit and hopefully keep him away from any further expeditions with the Starship Enterprise.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Well the reception here to JJ being the director of SW is better then some other responses I've seen. I liked his take on Star Trek. Some folks who are really anal about plot and such have bitch fests about it but meh whatever they think.

As for what JJ does with Star Wars?? Here's how I see it. It'll either be good or it'll suck. The hardcore fanboys will bitch and complain no matter who is behind the lens. That's their nature regardless of what the movie, TV show, comic or book is. I really think any new movie should not involve the original cast and should be new characters set in the SW universe.

Anyway JJ Abrams directing Star Wars can't be any worse than anyone else doing it.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:17 pm

JJ did a great job revamping the Star Trek franchise and I am looking forward to the next Trek movie that is supposed to be released this year . I feel he will do a good job with Star Wars as well and it certainly can't be any worse than the what Lucas did with the Prequels - poo Jar Jar ?? really ?? throw up

Nothing can ever replace the Original Trilogy in my heart or as my Favs but I would like to see Star Wars live on - having a different point of view from a fresh director that has shown that he is worthy story teller wont be a bad thing .

As a huge sci fi / horror / fantsy fan I like anything that is well written even if it takes a new direction - the Universe is a big place and in MY universe there is room for more Star Wars , Star Trek , Battlestar Galactica , Dr Who (the list goes on and on) . Does this guarantee JJ will do a great job ...no , but I will at least give him a shot and hope for the best What a Face

I don't care who is behind a movie as long as it is done well and entertains me .
Lucas droped the ball on the Prequels so now let us see what someone else can do - I refuse to burn JJ at the stake ... yet , if he does well I will celebrate

if he doesn't well ... dalek

But lets at least give the guy a chance Cool
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm pretty psyched about this news.

The way I look at it is this: the future Star Wars films will be like cakes that are made to taste like the ones from the original bakery but everyone knows that they can't BE the real deal because the guy that dreamed up the recipe croaked from eating too many of his own goodies. So as long as they look real nice, remind us here and there of the old favorites, and otherwise go down easy, we've got a winning proposition on our hands. And like his movies or not, I think it's hard to deny that JJ Abrams can fulfill this role well. I'd even go so far as to say it's an honor he's been working up to most of his life.

And let's remember the director is NOT the writer. Has that score been hashed out yet?
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Commander Clint wrote:
Hopefully with Abram's, we won't get any Jar Jar or Ewoks. lol! lol!
It's Disney- there has to be more Ewoks Very Happy Jar Jar can die Razz ( sorry ChrisB Laughing )
Back to top Go down
bluedog
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
bluedog

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm doing my best not to find out too much about the new films, I personally think anyone who follows the progress of these films hoping they will revive memories of the original trilogy will be nothing but disappointed.

Best to take them on face value, not much point talking yourself into hating something you've yet to even see based on the director. Stormie Smiley

Pretty stoked that my sons will have a set of SW movies for their generation. celebrate
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 am

Sorry AJ, there can only be Ewoks if they look like this. Very Happy :Drool:

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie 917a8a10
J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie Dsc05010
J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie Sexy_e10
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 am

I think JJ Abrams is an AMAZING director/writer. We are in good hands.

I grew up a Star Wars fan and a Star Trek fan. My high school years was spent watching TNG with my father. When JJ changed the timeline of the original Star Trek it has made some 'hardcore fans' mad, and I get it... but the problem is that some just don't get: IT NEEDED a revamp. The same ole-same-ole wasn't working so he did an unbelievable job of re-introducing the crew of NCC-1701. How they became part of the Enterprise.

Managed to get WONDERFUL actors to be the young Kirk, Spock, etc., as well as putting in a great story (unlike most of the other Trek movies). The Abrams Trek movie was non-stop action that had some dark-evil plots as well as some amazing fighting. Nero was a great bad guy.

Anyway, I think he will do a great job for Star Wars and I don't think we could have got a better director than JJ Abrams. He grew up, like most of us, LOVING Star Wars. It's one of the movies that got him to make movies as a kid (Super-8 was somewhat based off his life). He say Lucas was his a hero....

We are in good hands.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:46 pm

The more I think about this, the more at ease I become. My original thought was that he was going to make Episode VII very over the top, sort of like parts of the Trek Reboot.

Where he is such a big Star Wars fan, I feel he knows that these movies need a certain feel. Making them all explosions and bells and whitles is not the right approach.

All I know is that in two or three years when the new movie comes out, I'll be in line just as excited as I was to see Jedi in theaters. That was the first one I got to see on the big screen.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 am

Cool

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie   J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J.J. Abrams to direct the new Star Wars movie

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1