The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin Use Account

has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? Empty
PostSubject: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:39 am

As the title really Smile

I am just curious if anybody has sold off a vintage SW item that later on reflection /
Increased awareness / additional knowledge etc turned out to be much rarer / harder to find?
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? Empty
PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 am

Way back when I was selling off many of my original doubles and triples ... I had a couple PBP figures (Snag, Dengar, Greedo etc) with a fair amount of play wear that I sold for cheap!!!! This was before I knew more about COO variations!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am

When I was buying and selling figure lots I sold on a hollow tubes without realising it was anything special, wasn't in great condition but I would have kept it if I knew what I know now! Sad
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 am

Also- I normally regret selling most things just due to my pricing, I tend to price things bang on what I paid or slightly less to get that sale, if I priced them at what they were worth I never manage to tempt anyone Sad Seems it works for everyone else just not me!
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 am

I had a completely non sonic welded top toys luke jedi that was pretty neat.
Sold if for about £40-50 about 6-7 yrs ago so i guess that would fetch quite a bit more now head bang
A guy off scum bought it via ebay but i can't remember who it was.
Pretty sure one of the luke jedi collectors would of paid more than that.

Also just before AFA started up i sold off some of the mintest rotj carded figs you would ever see, for pretty cheap too.
They were not rare, but would of scored very high grades.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 am

Thankfully, no, I've never sold anything that I've later realized that it was worth more. Smile

I really don't have much that I buy that I would later sell. I guess I'm too focused at times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 am

Del wrote:
I had a completely non sonic welded top toys luke jedi that was pretty neat.
Sold if for about £40-50 about 6-7 yrs ago so i guess that would fetch quite a bit more now head bang
A guy off scum bought it via ebay but i can't remember who it was.
Pretty sure one of the luke jedi collectors would of paid more than that.

Also just before AFA started up i sold off some of the mintest rotj carded figs you would ever see, for pretty cheap too.
They were not rare, but would of scored very high grades.

Hey Del, was it one of these in Ryan's thread. He recently sold both of them in a lot on ebay and it went for around $30. Unfortunately I lost out on it.

I don't think I've sold anything that I later found out was rare/htf or I haven't found out it was rare/htf yet. Laughing

I have bought items before and then found out later I got a good deal on them. A prime example is my moulded face luke. This was before I started the focus. I went to a collectibles shop in Vegas a few years ago and the guy had some complete loose figures available. One of them was a complete blue saber Luke Jedi for $12. At the time I was thinking what a steal for a blue saber, so I bought it. It wasn't until I started on the focus and found out some information on the moulded face that I found out I already had one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 am

OMG ... there's another skywalker?

Can any of you guys show a pic or how to spot it?
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 am

The top toys Craig?
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 am

If so - http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=47300

Great shot of the weapon variation as well there, REALLY hard to find this figure loose and complete, it would take you a long time and some $$

Carded are rarer than hens teeth as well.
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am

I'm not sure if that was the one or not Shawn, it originally belonged to Martijn and i traded him for it.
It was painted, with some wear so its possible.
Thinking back it is possible Martijn was sold it as a proto, but then traded it on to me as a non sonic welded productin figure.
I think this originated back to Pablo, when he was a good guy lol, but there was nothing fishy about this one to me.

Im gobsmacked one sold for $30 tho, i would of bid on it if i had seen it. Maybe my £40-50 was a sound sell then lol.
At the time mine sold very cheap, and i can remember a thread about it where people commented it should of gone for more.
I always kicked myself, but now im quite happy!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:46 am

Joe_O wrote:
If so - http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=47300

Great shot of the weapon variation as well there, REALLY hard to find this figure loose and complete, it would take you a long time and some $$

Carded are rarer than hens teeth as well.

Thanks Joe! I'll have a look after work... are there any more not including Lili Ledy?
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:48 am

I was really surprised at the price too Del. I thought for sure it would at least hit near $100. Ryan sold off quite a few of his pieces and if I hadn't already bought a Clipper Trilogo and Canadian from him, I would have gone for that as well. I think he would have done better on his sales if he would have put them on RS, but he needed the cash fast.

Craig T wrote:
OMG ... there's another skywalker?

Can any of you guys show a pic or how to spot it?

Did you mean the moulded face Craig?

Here is a quick picture I put together showing some of the face differences. I forgot to include the regular Made in Hong Kong version, but the moulded is the one on the far right.

has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? Lukefa10
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Joe/Shawn,

Thanks for the helpful replies guys! I only had a quick glance during coffee break in work so my question wasn't that clear... I meant the Top Toys sorry.

Excellent links though lads are there any more like Ryan's Shawn? .... looks like I have plenty to catch up on!

good posts lads
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Back to original question posed by Jay...

I made that mistake back in school in the early 90s. I swaped a whole shoe box of doubles including many of the last 17 for a friends Luke Original... at the time I needed Luke and so in my eyes it was a good trade.

In them days the last 17 were just star wars figures... doh
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:24 am

:bump:

I was wondering has any of our newer members have every let something go cheap that they later found to be quite rare?

Or has anybody purchased items when they were hot (prices high) only for the item to go cold further down the line when they are looking to sell?

I once picked up a few Polish figures when they were hot a few years back only to make a loss on them a year later. Although Polish and Bootlegs seem to be going pretty strong these days.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 am

Sold 2 things cheap that i can remember.

First was an unpainted helmet Leia Boush, i noticed it was another helmet then the regular one, and the painted one looked so much better so i traded my unpainted one for an painted one.

And the other one wasn't a SW figure, but an complete mint He-Man Scare Glow figure that i've sold in a lot with about 25 other complete he-man figures and Battle cats for 100 dollar......

Back to top Go down
HothTony
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
HothTony

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 am

Dont think I have sold anything thats turned about to be valuable/rare without knowing but I go along with Joe when he says he tries to sell at his cost or slightly below to get a sale but working the other way doesnt seem to happen .... Sad Sad
Tony
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

When I first started collecting, I bought 2 Bespin Lukes, they both had lightsabers that looked like this one
has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? Lights13
I could remember as a child the 3 buttons being set in a rectangular depression, and the guy who sold me them had palmed me off with a couple of rather poor repros, so when I first started selling on Ebay I sold them both with a couple of Bespin Lukes and advertised them as repros which I thought they where. Was wounded when I found out they weren't. Don't know how rare they are, but it took me nearly 5 years to find another.
I have also sold a PBP Bespin Luke lightsaber as well, which because it looked so chaply made I thought it was a repro!
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Has your luck ever swung the other way?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 4:06 pm

In a reversal of fortunes, I won a Han Hoth on Ebay last year for 6 quid, when it arrived it turned out to be the moulded legs version, in pretty good nick as well! BONUS!

Has anyone had a similar stroke of luck?
Back to top Go down
starwarsrarities
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
starwarsrarities

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 5:36 am

Well I sold a toltoys vinyl cape jawa to a friend not cheaply, but boy was it hard to replace, but have since managed it. I also once sold a "Special"stickered boxed white star wars tie fighter for $100 on ebay many years ago, really wish that I hadn't now, thats about all my mistakes hehe.
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 11:16 am

I have sold many star wars items before I begun to know about repro weapons and variant figures.

It does not hurt that much because I did not know what I sold and what I have sold.

But I still think about if there has been some rare variants between the items I have sold or some original weapons unsure
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?   has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

has anybody sold something that they found out to be more rare / HTF than they originally thought?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1