The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case Empty
PostSubject: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm

I just posted this in the World of Odd section, but I thought it might get a little more attention in this section.

This is a 1983 Canadian General Mills Cereal "Cheerios" fold out pamphlet that was the prize at the bottom of the box.
This is pamphlet #8 of 8.
If you look closely at the advertisement, do you notice the odd vintage transition collectors case that is pictured? It appears to be a ESB wampa case with a ROTJ logo. I have been looking for some information about this case for years. I've never seen one and everyone I talk to doesn't know anything about it either.

Maybe some of you guys might know some more information about it?

Pamphlet #8 cover

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case 8_cove11

Pamphlet #8 Inside

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case 8_insi11

Pamphlet #8 Back

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case 8_back11

Pamphlet #8 Advertisement

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case 8_case11
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:58 pm

I've never seen that!

It's pretty possible that it never went passed a photography stage. Wouldn't be the first thing to do that.

Interesting to see if anyone has one!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 am

Thanks for sharing. Not only is that pamphlet cool in its own right, but to show a photo of what seems to be an unproduced item is a bonus Cool

A little bit of info on the artwork,

Here is the original (1980) artwork, the same as used on the storage case pamphlet pic - minus the ROTJ logo - ESB storage case artwork The artwork is also featured on the reverse of a TOPPS trading card.
The photo in your pamphlet looks like it was taken to a further stage by adding the ROTJ logo onto the artwork and printing it onto an already existing case.

Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 am

Even if it was just a mock up for the advertisement, would it have survived and be in a former Kenner employee's collection? Or would it have been destroyed after the pictures were taken? Because it was a Canadian product, was it produced in Toronto by Kenner Canada (Irwin Toys) or was everything from the Kenner parent company in the US?
I have assumed the last couple of years that this was a pre-production item that never seen the light of day, but there must be 1 or 2 out there somewhere? Maybe they don't realize that they have it?

So many questions and not a lot of information about this case.
Thanks guys. Hopefully some information will surface some day about it.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Commander Clint wrote:
Even if it was just a mock up for the advertisement, would it have survived and be in a former Kenner employee's collection? Or would it have been destroyed after the pictures were taken? Because it was a Canadian product, was it produced in Toronto by Kenner Canada (Irwin Toys) or was everything from the Kenner parent company in the US?
I have assumed the last couple of years that this was a pre-production item that never seen the light of day, but there must be 1 or 2 out there somewhere? Maybe they don't realize that they have it?

So many questions and not a lot of information about this case.
Thanks guys. Hopefully some information will surface some day about it.

Most everything pre-production wise was done internally at Kenner US. There are a few instances where some prototyping was done outside the US, but I don't think this is one of them.

My best guess would be that this was a mock-up to show that Kenner was working on a ROTJ vinyl case, but just didn't have the artwork done in time, so they slapped a ROTJ logo on it for photography purposes. Either that or they were planning to re-release all the vinyl cases with a ROTJ logo on them to coincide with the movie release.

If you notice on the artwork that Paul linked to (and the Jedi one that's also on the archive) there is a big black spot left blank for the logo's. That's for ease of slapping any logo in there that Kenner wanted to (same for all foreign ROTJ MOC's, pre-trilogo's).

It is definitely a neat piece and a cool discovery! Maybe some day it will turn up!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 am

I was trying to remember if I'd seen this before and then it hit me. Here it is shown in the 1983 Toy Fair catalog.

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case Img_0020
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 am

That's great. I'm glad to see some other documentation on that case. Very Happy
Maybe some more photo's will show up.
Thanks for sharing.

Clint
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 pm

If memory serves me right, these pamphlets were in ceral boxes around the time the movie was out. It was in Canada so it must be some canadian version you are seeing...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case   Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odd Vintage Transition Collectors Case

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1