The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? Empty
PostSubject: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 am

I have tried searching for this and couldn't find anything at all. There are various threads/pages with general info on cleaning figures.

Anyone know how to clean a Bib coat? (The suede type material worries me. Is it possible to clean them without ruining them?)

I know you could scrub the outside the way you do suede shoes, but if the lining has light staining, is there any way of washing that out? (Anyone tried this?)

-J
Back to top Go down
Hyver
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Hyver

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

whatever you do, don't wash it together with your red socks Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyverkanda.be
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 am

Hyver wrote:

Laughing

Now we're getting somewhere. We'll call that Rule #2 (Rule #1 is 'don't try to remove the dirt with fire'. This is something I have learned over time. It just doesn't work.)

-J
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks Hyver, what about my white shirts and red socks :SOS:

Hi Bob, sorry I can't help you there. If you have a damaged coat, you can try to test it Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Discobob83 wrote:
I have tried searching for this and couldn't find anything at all. There are various threads/pages with general info on cleaning figures.

Anyone know how to clean a Bib coat? (The suede type material worries me. Is it possible to clean them without ruining them?)

I know you could scrub the outside the way you do suede shoes, but if the lining has light staining, is there any way of washing that out? (Anyone tried this?)

-J

You might think I'm nuts, but ask a local dry cleaner what to do. They work with suede for a living
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Have a look in the cape mate

How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? Aaaa-Give-it-to-your-mom
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Søren, that was good lol!
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Hyver wrote:

Yeah, you might end up with an burgundy caped bib Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 3:59 am

Stargeezer wrote:
Hyver wrote:

Yeah, you might end up with an burgundy caped bib Very Happy

Maybe it was how they maid the burgundy bib in Mexico lol!
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 am

-no ironing!
- no washing powder for white clothes...it contains bleachers!!!
- no rubbing!
- no boiling water....if its too hot you will destroy the cape...keep it handwarm!!

just take a mug....do some washing powder in it (no fluid stuff...no bleachers)....add some warm water....and put the cape into it. Leave it there for a few hours. I stir mine from time to time.

Get it out.....wash everything out with cold water. then let t dry in the right shape. You wont get out pleats that dry in!

I washed all kind of capes.....mostly because they do not smell well. You will be surprised how much dirt these can contain!!!

I had really black water in the MUG on some!!!...grooossss....and these didnt even look dirty!!!

I had no probelms on all capes doing this! BUT....you have to be carefully with some foreign stuff....I washed a LL Bib cape once...but I was very nervous....all went fine,,,,but not sure on all of those!!

I would also be carefully with TT capes etc (even I had to wash my yoda cape).

you will get out by washing what you get out of clothes....some spots will stay: rust, mushroom, ink...etc

1. I never noticed that color changed by washing Luke, Bib, Yoda or other capes!!!
2. If you rub...you can get lighter spots...so just dont rub!!!!!
3. Of course color gets lighter if the cape is very dirty...... Wink

Last edited by wbobafett on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 am

soren wrote:
Have a look in the cape mate

How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? Aaaa-Give-it-to-your-mom

LMFAO rofl rofl rofl rofl

Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Finally a topic I can add something too Razz

Washing them is a bit of a risk, since it can loosen up the fabric. So it's at own risk.

But a normal mild washing powder or liquid, that does not have parfume and NO bleaching in it.

Warm water (not "hot") mix around washing powder and then put cloth in, let it soak for a while. Be careful, they can get fragile.
Some warm water and just soak it in there. Do not leave it in for hours, a while but not to long.

At own risk, if washing powder don't work, some dishwash like "Yes" or a mild liquid soap concentrate used for floors in low amounts might help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 am

Rawlin wrote:
........a mild liquid soap concentrate used for floors in low amounts might help.

ouch...that I wouldnt risk. These usually have acid in it...like citron etc....

Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 am

wbobafett wrote:
Rawlin wrote:
........a mild liquid soap concentrate used for floors in low amounts might help.

Yeah, I've only used it on stuff that's been real bad anyway. but you should use acid free, those mild nature friendly ones.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 am

Rawlin wrote:
wbobafett wrote:
Rawlin wrote:

Yeah, I've only used it on stuff that's been real bad anyway. but you should use acid free, those mild nature friendly ones.

If it says acid free...fine...but normally these "nature friendly" ones are even worse! Only because it doesnt harm nature doesnt mean it doesnt contain aggressive ingredients looking at the fabrics.

I would in generell stay away from those....no matter what it says.

Maybe I can find the article again I once read about the one with the "green frog".... Wink

Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am

wbobafett wrote:
Rawlin wrote:
wbobafett wrote:
Rawlin wrote:

If it says acid free...fine...but normally these "nature friendly" ones are even worse! Only because it doesnt harm nature doesnt mean it doesnt contain aggressive ingredients looking at the fabrics.

I would in generell stay away from those....no matter what it says.

Maybe I can find the article again I once read about the one with the "green frog".... Wink

Yeah this is just if there is nothing to lose anyway. But I also believe that we might have different standards of what is nature friendly and whats in them etc.
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Great to know that, thanks Rawlin Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Completely forgot I'd even asked this! Embarassed

Just want to say a huge thanks to Wolff and Rawlin!! Very Happy

I really appreciate the advice. I will now do some careful experimenting based on this advice and see how I get on.

Thanks again guys!!

-J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?   How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to clean a Bib Fortuna coat?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1