The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Need tip to clean tie fighter wings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

Need tip to clean tie fighter wings Empty
PostSubject: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 11:43 am

Hi all,

Just got a tie fighter but there is some sort of dirt /grime on the stickers of the wings. How would i remove this without damaging the stickers under?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Very carefully wipe it with spirit (zippo lighter fuel) it's good for sticky residue and stuff, and it evaporates also, just drop a bit on a cotton bud and carefully wipe. Worth a try I guess.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 4:29 pm

I will look into all options... The stickers are very decent so i want to Avoid damaging them. It some sort of liquid that dried like crust. Maybe mud or something like that. On the tie i got some yellowish residue. Not sure if i can clean this off.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Need to find something that would not attack the stickers....
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Well Bud after reading your dilemma I was thinking of a biodegradable type of degreaser, like the citrus kind? Of course you do not want to expose the sticker to too much moisture so have a blow/hair dryer in your hand. Very sticker situation you have, no pun intended Wink Bust out the Q-tips and be gentle and use patience.

btw...how'd the cigar smell issue work out?
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey Bud,

Is this the mysterious traveling USPS Tie Fighter?
Did it finally arrive????? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I tried isopropyl alcohol and it made a mess on the stickers. it attacked the ink and smeared it a little, it got the stuff out but attacked the ink under..... But to begin with i have no clue what damaged the stickers, its like someone dropped some corrosive stuff on the sticker so not matter what i would do i would not be able to bring it back to a decent state. I could cheat and use a felt tip black marker and mask off the discolored part but id feel cheap about it. But the good news is that i can find some wings pretty easily as well as a complete better looking tie. It is still a nice show piece item and i got my box. I am a star wars package collector and this was a huge deal for me. The whole deal was really about the box more than the toy itself. The box is by no means perfect but it is highly displayable. Aside the ugly yellow tapes which are really unavoidable anyways i would say this box is a middle ranged grade box and that pleases me. I could say i actually owned it and played with this over a period of time....

Yes Psyber, this was the lost in transit Tie. It just showed up unannounced last friday. I thought it was really lost in the mail. I am still glad i got it even tough it was not in the shape expected and the customer service form this ebayer was juts plain horrible.

For the smell like a cigar part, well i put the Wampa in 2 batches of arm and hammer baking soda over a 2 weeks period. I actually cleaned him off with dishwasher soap and to be honest i smelled it several times and it " looks" like the smoke smell may be almost gone. Right now it smells a bit like the dishwasher detergent so i am going to let this dry properly and vent. And will re check later to see the results to see if it somewhat smells neutral. It looks real good and you got to put your nose on it and sniff real hard to smell the cigar smell versus 10 cm away you could pick it off easily. So I would say Kudos for the tip.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need tip to clean tie fighter wings   Need tip to clean tie fighter wings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need tip to clean tie fighter wings

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1