The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions Empty
PostSubject: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi guys,

received my fist vintage after more than 35 years. I was told it had no sound and light, and i got it anyways since it was cheap and seemed to have a beautiful box, i have received today and i am very happy, the box is in better shape than i expected and the toy is complete but like i said no sound and no light. so i decided to take a crack at it.

i tore it apart to fix the light and sound and to clean it up mostly. did some cleanup, clean the battery connectors which were really oxidized but not damaged...i put 2 batteries in and nothing...

i got my multimeter and did some test and if i take one side, current travels throughout, same thing for the other side, the multimeter shows that current is traveling.

at some point i thought it might be that the led light had blown out but after playing some more with the tester i could see a faint light in the led light which meant that current is traveling to it and it lights it up.

now i am not a big electronics guy but the way the wiring seems to be hooked up it looks like the current has to do a loop to make the sound and light work.

now i wish i knew more about this but i was wondering if anyone would have an idea on how to fix this if it is possible..

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions DSCF8248

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions DSCF8246

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions DSCF8245

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions DSCF8234

if you look at this pic below you will see how the circuit is made inside the x wing, like i said if i stay on one side ( lets say the green wires) from the front to the rear current travels thru, same if i go on the red side. but if i put the multimeter on each on the battery connectors i get nothing but i think i should. i am wondering if the motor is not the culprit here..i wish i knew how to test it...it also looks like almost impossible to remove from there too...

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions DSCF8214

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions DSCF8134
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Put new batteries in it, hold the on button down while spinning the motor by hand. This should fix it Smile
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:04 pm

aussiejames wrote:
Put new batteries in it, hold the on button down while spinning the motor by hand. This should fix it Smile

ill give it a whirl a little later...got stuff to do i ll post the results....cheers ewok shaman!
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:21 pm

ok, after a while i was able to get the motor going by spinning it like james told me to do and the light in front works A1. The only thing is the s foils thingamajig does not keep the wings open, i guess the spring that holds the contraption that way is too soft now and cannot hold the stress. oh well.

I m happy and i got a cool looking box to boot, ill post pics later on the weekend....

cheers!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:27 pm

The wing mechanism can be fixed sometimes too. Try rotating the R2 head 180 degrees. If the spring is weak you can carefully stretch it a bit.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 4:23 am

That is a nice exploded view pic of the X-Wing.

Never realized how many parts there were 'under the hood'.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 5:18 am

Great thread. Nice show and tell. I wouldn't even know where to start Smile Can't wait to see pics of the box.

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:20 am

Dr Dengar wrote:

That is a nice exploded view pic of the X-Wing.

Never realized how many parts there were 'under the hood'.

Agree! That's a great pic of the guts and bones of the Kenner X-Wing. Kudos for trying the repair.
I've only ever tackled the X-Wing non-electronic Palitoy version. Stuck wing mechanism under R2. Interesting to see all that wiring in the Kenner fuselage! I have a 1st issue Kenner and am always surprised at how well the light and sound still work after all these years.
Thanks for sharing the great pics Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions   trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trying to fix the x-wing i have received. need suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1