The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Akbar Bubble Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

Akbar Bubble Question Empty
PostSubject: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Seeing a couple of sellers online offering carded Akbars with bubbles shaped in a way that splits the figure's feet into two separate reservoirs. My first reaction is that these are repro fakes, especially since I haven't seen a convincing yellowed bubble in this shape. Any thoughts?

Akbar Bubble Question Yhst-911

Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:07 am

Sorry I don't know much about repro cards.

But I will also love to know more about how to spot repro and original cards so I will keep an eye on this thread to learn more from the experts on this forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 am

I have a friend who has a B-wing pilot with a bubble the same as this one, also on a jedi card, I text him and he says he does not think its a reseal, will try and get him to take a picture of it.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Vintage
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Vintage

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:17 am

Perfectly correct bubble for this figure. I have one, its exactly the same as the one pictured, same bubble, same opacity. I got mine from a fair from a RS member, and can be confirmed genuine from Kenner waffle iorn pattern in the bubble rim. I also notice that mine has the same appearance of lifting at the base of bubble between legs over the number. This is. Not a damaged area but factory created, yours looks completely genuine.
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Dr. Vintage wrote:
Perfectly correct bubble for this figure. I have one, its exactly the same as the one pictured, same bubble, same opacity. I got mine from a fair from a RS member, and can be confirmed genuine from Kenner waffle iorn pattern in the bubble rim. I also notice that mine has the same appearance of lifting at the base of bubble between legs over the number. This is. Not a damaged area but factory created, yours looks completely genuine.

Thanks Doc! This is exactly the insight I was looking for. My follow-up question to you and the rest is this -- does the waffle pattern always constitute authenticity? I hope so, but I wonder if any of the fake-makers have yet or possibly could succeed in duplicating the waffle pattern.
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Dr. Vintage wrote:

Thanks Dr. Vintage bounce There are so many different bubbles.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 pm

ratherchildish wrote:
My follow-up question to you and the rest is this -- does the waffle pattern always constitute authenticity? I hope so, but I wonder if any of the fake-makers have yet or possibly could succeed in duplicating the waffle pattern.

there are fake waffle patterns- micro dot glue applicators, tacky glue + rasp file ..... Twisted Evil
but compared to the real thing when you have them in hand they're 'easy' to spot. Reseals can be a bit more difficult to pick.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Vintage
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Vintage

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm afraid most of these checks can be faked, but here's my guide to checking if it's authentic, remember i'm not an expert, only been at it for three years, i guess i only have a degree in it.

1, (most of the time) it should smell old. Like an old book
2, (most of the time) it should have "die cut" marks the little torn tabs up the sides and in the hanger
3, (most of the time) the tape will yellow even if the bubble has not.
4, (most of the time) the figure has created some type of damge inside the bubble, paint rub, horns damaginging bubble. etc.
5, Most of my bubbles if not dinged, have scratches on the surface, like someone sanpapered the bubble a bit.

Below is the "waffle iorn pattern" we are discussing if you're new to this thread/ forum. And the tape showing yellow. Also note the lifting over the numers, it is factory created.
[img]Akbar Bubble Question Photo112[/img]
[img]Akbar Bubble Question Photo113[/img]
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:16 am

Thanks again for all the help Dr. Vintage

I have heard stories about if there is damage to the figure it is reseal or repro. But could the damage on the figure also have been maid after many years inside the bubble or from the factory before it was placed on the card ?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Vintage
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Vintage

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 5:20 am

pomse2001 wrote:
Thanks again for all the help Dr. Vintage

I have heard stories about if there is damage to the figure it is reseal or repro. But could the damage on the figure also have been maid after many years inside the bubble or from the factory before it was placed on the card ?

well a few o f my figure have damage in side the bubble, but they are genuine, and here's why,

Gammorean Guard's (MIM) horns push through into the plastic bubble, and they have left behind paint marks. This to me at least suggests it has been put in the bubble not quite cured, and the paint has rubber a bit off on to the plastic.
Also you'll notice that the tape has yellowed. Incidentally this made it mexico guard does not have the waffle iorn mark, but does have a punch hole in the back, another guide to confirm ledy figures.

[img]Akbar Bubble Question Photo114[/img]

In this next image a Imperial Dig, trilogo. Note that he has the very common nose rub, however, you can see that the paint has rubbed on to the inside of the bubble. The second thing you'll notice is there are tiny little spots on the backing colour bit of the card, these are little digs taken out of the colour of the card, something which can only happen from a figure rattling around through shipping over the years inside the bubble. A few of my trilogos have this "rattle" damage, particularlt figures with staffs and hoods, like trilogo ewoks.

[img]Akbar Bubble Question Photo115[/img]

so damage to a figure, with no wear inside the bubble, with a crystal, undinged bubble, and clear tape, i'd be worried.

hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Vintage
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Vintage

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 5:27 am

sorry wrong image.....here's the imperial dig note the nose rub, and the paint to the right, inside the bubble. On the left you will see iltte spots of damage from it rattling in the bubble.

[img]Akbar Bubble Question Photo116[/img]
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks for all the pictures and help again Very Happy

I have some pictures maybe you can help with the ID about reseal, repro or original bounce
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:51 am

Here is some pictures, bubble is very yellow and there is some small holes in the bubble, bubble has begun to lift in the top. Hard to see if the tape is yellow.

But I can't see any damage on this figure.

Akbar Bubble Question Sta60011

Akbar Bubble Question Sta60012

Akbar Bubble Question Sta60013

Akbar Bubble Question Sta60014
Back to top Go down
Dr. Vintage
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Vintage

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:17 am

Looks completely original to me mate!
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Dr. Vintage wrote:
Looks completely original to me mate!

Thanks I have some more that you maybe can help me with another time bounce
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi again Dr. Vintage how does this look to you ?

The bubble is yellow and the tape looks yellow. Bubble does not look very clean and there is something under the bubble on the green peace of the card behind the figure. It looks like white and brown spots of dust or dirt or something like that. Hard to see on photograph. Maybe it is paint from the figure or something like that.

The figure looks mint no damage.

Akbar Bubble Question Sta60015
Back to top Go down
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Looks good to me... You can see the little dots along the seam that would indicate it's original seal. If it was a reseal you would see some discolored sections around the seam where they used something to resecure the bubble.

For what it's worth, my Lando Skiff bubble looks almost identical to yours. It's very scratched and yellow but the figure inside looks great.

Akbar Bubble Question DSC02579
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Dallas, thanks for the help Very Happy I will look after the little dots along the seam that would indicate it's original seal on the other MOC that I have.

Back to top Go down
Dalto
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Dalto

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:08 pm

pomse2001 wrote:
Hi Dallas, thanks for the help Very Happy I will look after the little dots along the seam that would indicate it's original seal on the other MOC that I have.

I'm not saying that's a 100% guarantee but if the bubble is lifting the seal should still have the hatching or dotted look. If it's been resealed in a small area it will probably have some type of air bubbles or be a different color from the rest of the seam. If you suspect a complete reseal just keep in mind Dr. Vintage's comments.

Unfortunately there are people who try to make a perfect fake. The give away is that they usually look too perfect. Sometimes reading their methods can help you to better spot a fake. Here's a site for "custom card" makers that has some people pretty proud of their fakes. http://www.ffurg.com/articles/packaging.htm

Fortunately for us we have TIG! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dr. Vintage
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Vintage

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 am

i Think the core problem in your case is trying to determine if it's a reseal?

This to me seems almost (almost) impossible. There are many glues and once someone has honed thier technique i'm sure some cards will look "original". The thing is, you just have to watch what it is thats being stuck back down. To be more clear, if i'm spending 500 bucks on a 12 back, i'd check the history of the piece. i'd be sus of any lifting, too much warping, stuff inside the bubble, etc. But when you have yellowed ROTJ cards, i dont even really get concerned. If however i saw a ROTJ with a crystal clear undented bubble, id really check it, for waffle pattern etc, etc.

Long story short, is that most of these P*&^KS that repro cars, will repro expensive and rare cards (though i will concead that i see a lot of trilogo recarded figures theses days)

Remember the old addage if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a repro duck.

Hope this helps. Your last images seem ok to me, i cant see why anyone would repro a yellow bubble, and if it's a reseal, well i'm sure youd be the best judge, its very hard to judge over the internet.

Just always buy from a trusted seller. 99% of people wont lie about this stuff if you ask them point blank too.

have a good one mate.
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Thanks for the information and the links Dallas and Dr. Vintage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Akbar Bubble Question   Akbar Bubble Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Akbar Bubble Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1