The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Darth vader 12 back question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DLT9
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
DLT9

Darth vader 12 back question Empty
PostSubject: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi,

My friend Alex helped me out with a 12b vader (pics later)

But he has a very wide stance that I never seen before and very shinny legs.
What kind of vader is this?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:18 pm

shinny legs:

unplayed condition. So normal to MOCs!

wide stance:
no variant. Just different deformation from the legs while cooling in the production process!

Also add: Moc figures are hold in their own air system! If the bubble is closed they cannot really breathe! Result of this is:
- colors can be tacky and shiny
- limbs can be more shiny and defrom because of the flexibilizers in the plastic that diffuse out of the plastic and stay in the bubble and finally can harm the figure!

Back to top Go down
mrathnr
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
mrathnr

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

I saw this thread, so thought I'd offer some help by posting a pic Bjorn. I had to figure out how to load my pic. Not too easy for a noob, but I think I figured it out!

And yes everyone.... I disclosed the reseal in the top corner that was done by me. It's all on the up and up. Razz
Cheers! -Alex

[img]Darth vader 12 back question Vader_18[/img]
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 5:46 am

wbobafett wrote:

wide stance:
no variant. Just different deformation from the legs while cooling in the production process!

do any figures have a 'legit' variation of a wide stance? I've seen snowtroopers refered to 'with wide stance' & an AFA tri logo, widestance imperial commander (edit maybe Bespin guard)I think.

side note: reseals done with supaglue can leave 'frosting' on figures that does NOT come off.

Last edited by aussiejames on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 5:57 am

aussiejames wrote:
wbobafett wrote:

wide stance:

do any figures have a 'legit' variation of a wide stance? I've seen snowtroopers refered to 'with wide stance' & an AFA tri logo, widestance imperial commander I think.

side note: reseals done with supaglue can leave 'frosting' on figures that does NOT come off.

I hope not!!! Afa uses term wide stance??? OMG...another reason to.....ahh...no I wont start!

Wide stance you can make on every figure you want. Use some nearly boiling water. Put the legs into it. They will get veeeery soft. Then make them wide stance and fix them by putting them under real cold water. Done!

Maybe it doesnt stay forever like this, but it works! I did so to fix my EV-9d9 Wink. But the legs are to thin....so I have to repeat the procedure evrey 2 years...LOL!

For a Vader: Mostly you have to go to extrem...so make him extrem wide stance. The legs will go back a bit and you have a perfect one! But why in the world would you want sth like that???

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 am

I have a Snowtrooper that came from a wrecked ESB Kenner card, his stance is huge not just wide, so much so that I can't get him to stand on a stand, one leg is hanging off like hes floating, yet both legs to the best of my memory are connected to the torso pretty flush.

I also have a wide stance Lando Skiff that came from a trilogo card.

These were both direct from card to being loose so it definitely is something from the factory, whether its just a mistake or some kind of different mold variation I don't know, maybe the inside pegs or holes are faulty and not formed properly and are too big to fit so the legs are closer?
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:07 am

Darth vader 12 back question Snowtr14

Darth vader 12 back question Lando12

Damn- Shouldn't have brought up the Lando Sad He was so mint .. I sent him out to a seller and his bubble fell off in transit ! Sad

Got him back after the refund so I kept the figure.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 am

okay I have a theorie:

Figures limbs stay softer in Mocs because they cannot really breath and the flexibilizers keep the limbs soft. (Outside from Moc limbs get harder all the time. In future they will get brittle and get destoyed..LOL....dont worry....we hav a few years left Wink )

If the Mocs are kept hanging or standing the soft legs are under the pressure from the weight of the figure. With time the legs move in the corners from the bubble!

But Joe...to be hones: Your two figures dont look so extrem! I think Trilogo Snowtrooper have a wider stance in generell. This is more a coo/production thing. They used different material for the legs in Trilogo area

Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:18 am

Indeed...I checked:

Snowtrooper with wide stance: Normal to no coo on legs and the matching HK coo! Its a mold thing that is special for this kind of coo and later deleted ones!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:21 am

It's a good theory Smile

Maybe in 20 more years all the MOC figures will be doing the splits Laughing

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:23 am

........But I still think they were probably like this from the factory Wink
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 6:54 am

Joe_O wrote:
........But I still think they were probably like this from the factory Wink

as for the snowtrooper: yes for sure! coo based Wink

i never cared for wide stance figures. Its no variant IMO....there is much real stuff out there...so dont waste your time on metallic hairs, green limbs or wide stance figures......just my 2 cents!

edit:

still curious. I opened a few mocs (bubble intact) and these limbs are butter really....especially MIM. You could bend them behind their own ears.

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 am

Baked in the Mexican sun probably Laughing

Can't say I have ever had a figure that flexible straight from the card, sticky yes, degrading yes but not bendy.

I too agree though- wide stance might be a trait for certain COO figures which gives you an indication of their origin but I don't see the point in chasing them. Legs are Legs Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 am

wbobafett wrote:
okay I have a theorie:

Figures limbs stay softer in Mocs because they cannot really breath and the flexibilizers keep the limbs soft. (Outside from Moc limbs get harder all the time. In future they will get brittle and get destoyed..LOL....dont worry....we hav a few years left Wink )

If the Mocs are kept hanging or standing the soft legs are under the pressure from the weight of the figure. With time the legs move in the corners from the bubble!

But Joe...to be hones: Your two figures dont look so extrem! I think Trilogo Snowtrooper have a wider stance in generell. This is more a coo/production thing. They used different material for the legs in Trilogo area

A nice theory indeed!

But after the plastifiers have diffused out of the figure plastic I don't expect them to just accumulate in the bubble space. I rather think the plastifiers would slowly diffuse into the bubble plastic and from there leave the MOC for eternity in their nature's driven effort to make concentrations equal everywhere.

Hmm... that sounds like a physics lecture, sorry. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 8:02 am

Dr Dengar wrote:

A nice theory indeed!

But after the plastifiers have diffused out of the figure plastic I don't expect them to just accumulate in the bubble space. I rather think the plastifiers would slowly diffuse into the bubble plastic and from there leave the MOC for eternity in their nature's driven effort to make concentrations equal everywhere.

Hmm... that sounds like a physics lecture, sorry. Very Happy

Sorry.but before they diffuse through the bubble they diffuse through the cradback Wink

Of course they do diffuse out of the bubble (mostly through the cardback). But the amount in the bubble is much higher and stays much longer. For me this is for 100% the reason why figures stay tacky in baggies and on crads. The exchange of air is ...well...not as good as it could be without.

JOE:

Legs are legs???? Are you crazy??? This is the only variant on your ugly figure focus!!!! lol!

(just messing....sorry couldnt resist!)
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 8:11 am

8D8 Leg circles are boring - even I admit it Laughing
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:10 am

you know what boring is???

I called your "hero" ugly......and get this reply???

damn....next time I go more forward...stupid sidekick from EV-9D9. If he could drool he would do it allllllll the time and maybe say sth like "TIMMMMMMY!!!"...."Tooooorture!!!!"...LOL
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 am

wbobafett wrote:

Sorry.but before they diffuse through the bubble they diffuse through the cradback Wink

Of course they do diffuse out of the bubble (mostly through the cardback). But the amount in the bubble is much higher and stays much longer. For me this is for 100% the reason why figures stay tacky in baggies and on crads. The exchange of air is ...well...not as good as it could be without.

Oh yes I forgot about the cardback. I wonder whether plastifiers diffuse faster through the cardback compared to the plastic bubble. The cardboard is thicker than the plastic, indicating plastifiers would need a longer time to diffuse out. On the other hand I expect cardboard to be less dense than plastic, meaning plastifiers would traverse more easily. unsure

So the theory is that figures would become tacky because of exposure of high concentrations of their own released plastifiers in closed systems (zipper bags, MOCs)? And after a while the plastic in the figure starts to absorb these plastifiers again causing the sticky feeling?

Joe_O wrote:

Legs are Legs Laughing

Sorry, I disagree. Very Happy

Darth vader 12 back question StarWarsBabes
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
DLT9
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
DLT9

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:48 am

to be honest i also think that the stance is a mould issue and not that they get soft from being in a moc.
i have stormtroopers,snowtroopers,lando skiffs and other figs with a wide stance.

the sollutions is not always complicated IMO
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Its not ONLY a mold issue!

Its a varity of some ponts that can happen:

1. mold issue
2. Factory error (sort of) while cooling the limbs can get deformed (also see "short" leg versions)
3. later changes through being treated (kids, mechanically, fakers or flexibilizers...etc.)
4. probably more reasons I forgot!

Nothing in SW collecting has only ONE explanation/reason!

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Bottom line : don't worry if your figures are better or worse gymnasts than your friends figures Laughing
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Joe_O wrote:
Bottom line : don't worry if your figures are better or worse gymnasts than your friends figures Laughing

but maybe worry if they are more gymnast then your friends girl.... Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm

If you get that far with your figures then you have a problem Laughing

"I'm looking for her COO" is NOT a good excuse wolff
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Joe_O wrote:
If you get that far with your figures then you have a problem Laughing

"I'm looking for her COO" is NOT a good excuse wolff

And I thought having a problem talking about my friends girl while Im married Cool
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 1:00 pm

It worries me less to know you are thinking of other women whilst married than plastic figures Wolff lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader 12 back question   Darth vader 12 back question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darth vader 12 back question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next