The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Reproduction Packaging

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

Reproduction Packaging Empty
PostSubject: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi All

I have a friend who has just started collecting but can not afford alot of the figures he wants on original cards, things like the Vinyl Jawa and Boba Fetts, he would like to display all his figures carded are there any decent people who make good reproduction packaging seen a couple of names in your watch out sessions and seen some poor examples on ebay I know most of you will want original carded but when money is the issue.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Obidan wrote:
are there any decent people who make good reproduction packaging
NO (I don't count Ham & TFB)
for very little money you/he could display figures like this
Reproduction Packaging SDC11693
Reproduction Packaging SDC11694
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 4:08 am

Obidan wrote:
Hi All

I have a friend who has just started collecting but can not afford alot of the figures he wants on original cards, things like the Vinyl Jawa and Boba Fetts, he would like to display all his figures carded are there any decent people who make good reproduction packaging seen a couple of names in your watch out sessions and seen some poor examples on ebay I know most of you will want original carded but when money is the issue.

It’s come to our attention that the username Obidan is in fact dragon_dans_retro_toy_shop and you have joined this site talking about yourself in the 3rd person possibly to test the waters before trying to sell on here?

I haven’t issued a ban straight away because I want to give you the opportunity for you to understand why some of your selling tactics are frowned upon by the vintage SW community and give you the opportunity to give your side of the story.

Just so everyone can understand what you do I have shown below just 2 examples of the types of Recard / Fake item listings that you sell.

I want to highlight as well that I spoke to you on eBay about this in the past yet you decided to do nothing.

If you sold REPRO MOC's advertised as Custom REPRO MOC's and the items were clearly marked Repro then people wouldn’t have the problem they have with you.

Here is an example of some of you listings and the scamming MO that you used -

Item 1

Reproduction Packaging Scam_e10

Description -

DRAGON DANS RETRO TOY SHOP

established 2008

Vintage Vinyl Jawa ESB Carded

Description

The Figure comes on ESB card, the card is not glossy on front or back the punch tab is in place but is not fully punched all the way through the rear of the card the bubble has an unusal shap to it very similar base to the 12 back jawa but with a shaped top section, the figure has large eyes and the darker coloured cape, this was purchased from a collector in Australia in the early 90's, there is some damage to the back of the card it is a lovely piece although I do not know the full history of it, I have had it in my personal collection for almost 20 years there is some info about these figures.

There are alot of fake vinyl jawas out there, but I was assured this was the real deal but knowing the fact, people have been faking vinyl jawas for years so I would not like to say for definate that this is original, I would like to hope it is as it cost me a small fortune and it has been a great display piece especially on display with my Sandcrawler, someone may get a great surprise but please bid accordingly but considering the rare nature of this figure I would not like to say for definate that it is original I would say it is probably a very nice custom figure.

This is your chance to grab a piece of star wars history, real or reproduction it is still a nice display piece and a talking point, I will try and answer any questions to best of my ability, I do not send any of my figures away for grading as the only value that concerns me is the years I have spent collecting and seeing them on display.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item 2

Reproduction Packaging Fake_w10

Description

DRAGON DANS RETRO TOY SHOP

established 2008

Vintage Bib Fortuna White Cape and Staff

Description

The Figure is in great condition, this was purchased in part of a Large Private Collection and has been part of my personal collection for the last 10 years, these are very rare and were tested on walrus man cards see link to see carded example shown with standard bib fortuna staff. A great piece of star wars history, all figures listed have only ever been part of a personal collection and have never been sent away for grading they were all purchased in good faith from dealers or as part of collections, Please bid accordingly.

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48458

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes the bib auction worse is that you had the audacity to link the star wars collectors archive to try and add legitimacy to what is clearly a fake custom item!!

What is clear Dan is these aren't just possibly real items that you have had for 20 years or figures you bought in a lot from a trusted dealer 10 years ago etc. This are items that you’re either making yourself or items that you have bought as Recards REPRO in recent years and are now selling on.

What I don’t understand is why do these types of listings Dan?

Your other listings suggest you have genuine stuff to sell so why damaged your reputation by selling a few fakes with dodgy descriptions in the hopes of getting a few extra quid?

If your not making them yourself and are just selling off Fakes/recards/customs that you picked up for yourself previously
wouldnt it be better to sell them with fully disclosed descriptions so people know that you are somebody to trust and inexperienced buyers dont over bid in the hope they might be getting something thats real?

Jay

TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 4:51 am

jaymassive619 wrote:
Hi All

It’s come to our attention that the username Obidan is in fact dragon_dans_retro_toy_shop and you have joined this site talking about yourself in the 3rd person possibly to test the waters before trying to sell on here?

More water testing ?

Actually I bought a few lcustoms from Dan in the past, but these were obvious, non-existing loose figures.

I don't quite understand why he needs to convert to such sales techniques.

So Dan, a resonse to the TIG community would be appropiate and very much welcomed here...

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:07 am

Nice spot Jay.

I for one don't want him around TIG if it is him.

As for ObiDan - if you are this ebay seller then its highly likely Jay and the team already know for sure, but are giving you the chance to come clean on your own. Just don't lie thats all I can say- too easy to find out the truth about someone on the net and they have the tools to do so.

Watching the thread with interest.
Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:31 am

aussiejames wrote:
Obidan wrote:
are there any decent people who make good reproduction packaging
NO (I don't count Ham & TFB)
for very little money you/he could display figures like this
Reproduction Packaging SDC11693
Reproduction Packaging SDC11694

Thanks Jimbo Very Happy And like someone asked when asked me to do custom for them, to put my "made by Ham" type logo on the reverse as to tell its a repro and of course as a nice touch ;-)
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:34 am

I wanted to add that the proof is pretty concrete ill hold off adding the details to this thread as i want to give Dan the oppotunity to explain his side of things.

What i will say is its not acceptable for new forum members without a previously established reputation to try and sell items to other members via PM we have a full classified section where you can sell your items in the open to other vintage collectors at no cost. Im sure people will agree that genuine trustworthy and honest new sellers will have no problems selling and building up a positive, trusted reputation using the public selling features.

In the interest of fairness lets ensure that this thread doesnt erupt into a flame war or any name calling so if people can keep any comments they wish to make factual and civil that would be great.

Dan i hope you do respond honestly to this thread from looking at your ebay account it seems you also have genuine vintage items as well as customs / fakes hopefully this thread will highlight why some of the selling techniques you have adopted are frowned upon by the vintage SW collecting communities.

Cheers Jay

Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:30 am

The plot thickens? New member!
Back to top Go down
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:25 am

what makes me laugh is you assume I am this seller, when I have asked about ebay auctions they have listed and said that there is some good stuff listed when you lot say avoid him, I am not dragon_dans_retro_toy_shop I am just a collector who saw your forum and decided to join with hope of seeing some other peoples varying collections I have been collecting since I first saw the films in the 80s and have built up a large collection that I am now looking to down size to focus on Boba Fett and Darth Vader, I rarely buy on ebay and I never sell I deal with a few local dealers who I have dealt with for years also buy from Brians Toys and used to buy from Tonythetoyman so I am sorry to burst your bubble but I am not that seller considering that saller is in Hertfordshire and I am from Wales Just a note for anyone there are some good Vintage Sellers in the Pump House Antiques Center just outside of Cardiff
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction Packaging   Reproduction Packaging I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:44 am

Obidan wrote:
what makes me laugh is you assume I am this seller, when I have asked about ebay auctions they have listed and said that there is some good stuff listed when you lot say avoid him, I am not dragon_dans_retro_toy_shop I am just a collector who saw your forum and decided to join with hope of seeing some other peoples varying collections I have been collecting since I first saw the films in the 80s and have built up a large collection that I am now looking to down size to focus on Boba Fett and Darth Vader, I rarely buy on ebay and I never sell I deal with a few local dealers who I have dealt with for years also buy from Brians Toys and used to buy from Tonythetoyman so I am sorry to burst your bubble but I am not that seller considering that saller is in Hertfordshire and I am from Wales Just a note for anyone there are some good Vintage Sellers in the Pump House Antiques Center just outside of Cardiff

You have been contacting members via PM trying to sell them items when they ask for pictures the pictures you provided then are extactly the same as the pictures used on dragon_dans_retro_toy_shop auctions so either you are him or you are stealing his auction pictures.

If there was any doubt here is the latest data -