The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

True Collections/Collectors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

True Collections/Collectors Empty
PostSubject: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I recently had someone tell me that I did not have a true collection and was not a true collector. Laughing I'm not taking it personally or anything, but I thought it might be an opportunity to discuss what we think makes a true collector/collection. In my opinion this is something subjective with no right or wrong answer.

A true collector to me is obviously someone who is in the hobby for the long run. It doesn't matter how much or how little they spend each month, but obviously they add to their collection over time. It doesn't matter which area they decide to focus on or even just a bit of everything. Very Happy A true collector is always learning by their own research, books, archive, other collectors, etc. A true collector does not just put an item on the shelf and call it good. They actually take some time and examine the items they own, make discoveries about these items, and share them with friends in the hobby/discussion boards.

As far as the collection goes, it does not matter if it is large or small, displayed or not, graded(minus U Wink ) or ungraded, C10 or C1. I love to see all types of collections and true collection is one that the collector themselves enjoy. They collect the items that they want and not just the flavor of the month.

/me stands up

I'm a Star Wars Collector and am true to my collection. Laughing

I'm sure I've left out a few things that could make up a true collector. I hope some of you will add to this.

Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:26 pm

I think a "true" collector is one that simply has enthusiasm and respects not only the people that shares his/her hobby but also the items they collect, as one
day they may not want them any more or have to sell them, or indeed leave them after passing so they can be enjoyed all over again by a new owner if
they are looked after.

You have to have a level of respect for everything in this hobby otherwise you come and go like yesterdays news.

"True", even if I understand why people use it, is not really a word you can label on collectors because to a certain extent there is no right or wrong way to collect
and everyone can and does collect how they want, regardless of what others think, but collecting as I mentioned carries responsibility, that to me is where being "true"
comes in to play, be true to the toys if nothing else Smile

FWIW - you are a "true" collector Shawn because you spend your time helping others by sharing your information, you make friends , you help others on their collecting
goals and you get rewarded in the same way, what better way to collect than to have fun and be nice doing it.

Extra edit - True should never equal amount of items you have or cash invested, there is no way you can leap on the scene buy 20 first shots, a whole set of POTF proofs and George Lucas's Directors Chair and achieve "true" collector status, cash does not give you any advantage over the other guy, only makes it easier to acquire things, I find many people with money are careless and dangerous in this hobby and are on a whim with collecting, they definitely cash out before the rest!

Last edited by Joe_O on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:30 pm

shawn_k wrote:
I recently had someone tell me that I did not have a true collection and was not a true collector. Laughing I'm not taking it personally or anything

I would!! What gives someone the right to decide if you are a true collector? Mad
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Joe_O wrote:

FWIW - you are a "true" collector Shawn because you spend your time helping others by sharing your information, you make friends , you help others on their collecting
goals and you get rewarded in the same way, what better way to collect than to have fun and be nice doing it.

Thanks Joe, but I know you're only saying that because you want me to still scout for 8D8s. lol!

Carl Waterworth wrote:

I would!! What gives someone the right to decide if you are a true collector? Mad

I guess I should have said that when it is someone's opinion that I don't respect than I don't take it personally. Smile
Back to top Go down
vaderhalen
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 11:46 pm

shawn and joe very well put. it dosent matter if you have two figures or 200,000 collect what you love , love what you collect. its about the joy our collection gives us from the hunt to the score... dosent matter if your a completeist or have a focus WE ARE ALL REAL COLLECTORS
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 11:53 pm

@ Shawn, what were his reasons for you NOT being a true collector???
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:59 am

From Wiki. : "The hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining whatever items are of interest to the individual collector. Some collectors are generalists, accumulating merchandise, or stamps from all countries of the world. Others focus on a subtopic within their area of interest, perhaps 19th century postage stamps, milk bottle labels from Sussex, or Mongolian harnesses and tack."
I'm yet to find a Mongolian harness Razz I had(still have) my childhood collection & do consider myself a collector now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cejay
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
cejay

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 1:05 am

The term "REAL" collector makes no sense.. you either collect stuff or you don't... what is a "REAL" collector anyway .. or is there such a thing as a "virtual" collector?

Wierd thing to say IMHO.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 1:41 am

I have a virtual collection of 6ft tall female blondes but they're really just videos lol!
Back to top Go down
cejay
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
cejay

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 1:43 am

aussiejames wrote:
I have a virtual collection of 6ft tall female blondes but they're really just videos lol!

Don't we all Smile *ah-hem*
Back to top Go down
Plantman
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Plantman

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 5:21 am

Tell then to fuck off

Ive been told the same thing, and tbh who cares, utter wankers to say the least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vintagetoybox.net
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 am

aussiejames wrote:

lol!

Thanks everyone for the concern, but I'm not going to name anyone here. I just wanted to see what other collectors thoughts were on the true collector thing. I hadn't really ever thought about it until this came up. There are some good definitions here and I like the wiki answer James. Laughing
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:25 am

shawn_k wrote:
I like the wiki answer James.
I like the fact that there is no mention of value or money.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:34 am

It's really hard to expand on what Shawn and Joe already stated. Those are both great examples and definitions.

The only thing I would like to add is passion. A passion for the hobby to me is also important. Sure, it may wax and wane like anything else, but the fire is always burning.

I have seen so many different types of collections, and each one is different and just as unique as the other. Be that one ROTJ MOC Rancor Keeper and 15 loose figures, or an entire run of previously unheard of pre-production DT Vader's. They are both true collectors in my eyes, because they love what they are doing. And both are active participants in the hobby.

I've gone back and forth a couple times on the merits of limelighting. I can see both the pros and cons to it. However, I don't think anyone should be ashamed of their collection big or small. It's a great way to share, get some encouragement, learn something new and share your passion with others.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:51 am

Shawn Bro if your not a "TRUE" collector then noone is!

Same question as C.K.: What were the unnamed person's reasons for such a spitful remark?
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 11:14 am

In the grand scheme of things the guy that did say that is really not worth the effort, his way of discussing things is by sending the people that disagree with him nasty private messages instead of replying in threads.

It didn't happen on here that's all I can say Wink - hint hint!
Back to top Go down
hansole
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
hansole

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 11:45 am

I don't think I'm a collector. I'm only graping the stuff I want. :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 11:47 am

You can grab whatever you want! As long as you aren't raping it thats ok! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Joe_O wrote:
In the grand scheme of things the guy that did say that is really not worth the effort, his way of discussing things is by sending the people that disagree with him nasty private messages instead of replying in threads.

It didn't happen on here that's all I can say Wink - hint hint!

You said it Joe!

Just read the post which sparked this question.

I don't really visit RS and that post, particularly the arrogance of some of the posters on it are the very good reasons why I never joined an online community until the TIG started. There are some deluded cocks over there.

Let us just hope a wanker like him will always think he's TOO BIG" to join a forum like ours and will stay the fuck away.

My favourite quote from the unnamed knob jockey who doesn’t want to hear what you have to say unless you have a cock the size of his on your forehead too:

Some of us have expansive collections and don't have the time or patience to deal with cleaning the thing off every other week.

Straight from the mouth of a so called “True" collector.

Just because Shawn too polite a gentleman to say it I will say it instead for him

Go Fuck Your Self Mr True Collector!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Shawn - just to get it out of way early, the person who said that is a massive tool.

I've said this in almost every limelight where people refer to their collections are "tiny", "small" ,etc. and that's that there are no collections that fit those terms. It's all about collecting and enjoying it. People's collections are all awesome. The fact that we are trying to rekindle something from our childhood or preserving something iconic alone makes it great in it's own right and shouldnt be subject to relative comparison. There is no , i repeat NO , reason to feel you need to justify the size, scope , focus or condition of what you have. However, like it or not competition does exist, so people need to brush off the stupid comments. I got a PM recently from someone who , after making a purchase, referenced it as a purchase from a "Big collector in the Hobby". I don't consider myself, or my collection, as even close to that label but it does show that as human beings we are sort of stuck in looking at thing in relative terms. I'm happy to say I don't. I might not understand everyone's collecting choices but I certainly dont consider anyones collection better of worse, just different.

Now I am going to actually disagree with Shawn on his definition of a true collector. He said:

A true collector is always learning by their own research, books, archive, other collectors, etc. A true collector does not just put an item on the shelf and call it good. They actually take some time and examine the items they own, make discoveries about these items, and share them with friends in the hobby/discussion boards

I don't make discoveries. I don't feel people need to share (although they should). I don't have the desire to uncover anything.

I don't think this means I am not a true collector but I'm also not arguing the point. I'm just pointing out that the definition of collector can be as subjective and the actual collection itself. It's about the individual and their interpretation. To quote Wayne from Wayne's World incorrectly quoting Dick Van Dyke "To Label Me is to Negate Me"

My message is simply collect what you like. Who gives a flying $&%# what anyone else thinks. My collection sits in my house, I look at it. If I like it, that's all that matters. Outside of some obviously smart pieces of advice (like U grading) I save live and let live.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 pm

can someone send me the link to the post, so i can read it?
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Carl Waterworth wrote:
can someone send me the link to the post, so i can read it?

here you go:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4317311
Back to top Go down
hansole
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
hansole

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Joe_O wrote:
You can grab whatever you want! As long as you aren't raping it thats ok! Twisted Evil

Well I'm trying to quit.

lol!

but seriously I realy don't se my self as a collector, I just get the stuff I think is cool. And I hope to reach a point where I have all the stuff that I want.

I can't see what people get out bragging about a great and huge collection. If it's status symbol you want then go purchases a horde off garden goblins.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 pm

hansole wrote:
If it's status symbol you want then go purchases a horde off garden goblins.

rofl rofl
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Just read the post and that is one reason why i dont post on RS much!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: True Collections/Collectors   True Collections/Collectors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

True Collections/Collectors

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next